Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 01:53 PM

Hi all,
we were told by Princess via phone that our room, E722, has an UNcovered balcony--which is what we wanted. However, as I read the boards, I'm getting conflicting info. Can anyone say for sure whether the balcony is covered or not? My wife is aboutt o hit the roof..no pun intended.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:58 PM
I hate to disappoint you but E722 has a completely covered balcony, as do all the mini-suites on Emerald Deck; I know because I book them for that very reason. You need to move up to Dolphin Deck to get a mini with an uncovered balcony.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:05 PM

thanks very much...at least it won't be a surprise.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:15 PM
You didn't mention when you are sailing but you should be able to exchange your mini for one on Dolphin Deck; the Catagory AC minis are not much more than the AD you have. In fact they should just exchange it straight across since they misled you on the balcony.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:42 PM
We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess October 31st, r/t San Juan. This is our first Princess cruise.
We are in an BA balcony on the Caribe deck, from what I have read it has a half covered half uncovered balcony. Also from what I read in this post, all the Mini suites on the Emerald deck have covered balcony and the Mini suites on the Dolphin deck are uncovered.
We are thinking about upgrading to an AC Mini suite on the Dolphin deck, I think the Mini suites on the Emerald deck could have noise from the deck below.
What are the pros & cons of going from a BA on the Caribe to a Mini on the Dolphin.
Thanks

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Administrator

We had a BA balcony on Caribe deck on Diamond Princess; similar set-up. Our friends had a mini-suite on the same cruise, so I saw both.

Biggest pro of BA is the balcony, as the partial covering allows for both sunning and privacy. The balcony is also large. Biggest con of BA is that the cabin itself is cozy. There's a lot of storage space for clothing, yet no sitting area other than the desk chair and beds. It would certainly be OK for two people, yet it was tight for three.

Biggest pro of AC is the size. There's a huge sitting area with sofa and chairs separate from the bed area that even has its own TV. The bathroom has a tub. Biggest con is lack of privacy from above.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:30 PM
There really are no "cons" (other than price) in going to a Dolphin Deck mini. You lose a little privacy and shade (depending on where the Sun is) but gain a much larger balcony. And privacy has never been an issue with me. People may look down occasionally but never gawk.

And the cabin alone is worth the upgrade; sitting area with couch, large bathroom with tub and shower, lots of storage. So I really see no downside to the move.

And don't write off Emerald Deck because of noise: it is not a problem at all. I now prefer the Emerald Deck minis to the ones on Dolphin Deck.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
And privacy has never been an issue with me. People may look down occasionally but never gawk.
Yes, I should have made that more clear. Our BA was above one of the completely open mini-suites. In order for us to see its entire balcony, we'd have to lean pretty far over the railing of ours, something I don't recommend. Maybe we could see about 1/3 of it while just standing normally.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Like they say, "one picture . . . . ."

This is looking down from a balcony on Baja Deck into a Penthouse balcony on Carib Deck (a catagory BA would be half as wide) and then mini-suite balconies on Dolphin Deck. It gives you a good idea of the relative size and exposure.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:41 PM
And this gives you a good look at the minis on Emerald Deck; they are completely covered.

Closed Thread

Tags
aloha, ba, baja, balcony, bc, cabin, caribbean, carribean, covered, deck, location, princess, reviews, room, rooms, uncovered, upgrade, upgrades