Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 02:52 PM

I am trying to find out which princess ship to choose for a cruise in the med this Sept. Some people say the grand is best but I dont really know. I have had a look at the different ones but cant decide which one to choose. My husband does not like to wear a suit but does not mind wearing trousers and a shirt in the evenings so we would prefer it if the ship did not have many formal evenings. Can anyone help us decide.

Thanks
Old 07-06-2010, 03:04 PM

Hi sweetsheila, welcome to Cruise-Chat. Every Princess ship we've been on has been great. They're all immaculate, the staff have been wonderful, and the food has been great. We've never been disappointed in any of our Princess cruises. The Sea Princess is my favorite ship, she's just the right size, not to big but big enough. The Emerald is beautiful, but huge. Which itineraries are you considering? The formal nights on board Princess are not ship dependent, they are determined by the length of the cruise. On formal nights, if you dine in the dining room, your hubby will have to wear a jacket. You can, however, dine in the buffet area or one of the specialty dining areas and not have to worry about the dress code for the evening. And, many go back to their cabins after dinner and change into casual clothes.

I think whichever ship you select, you'll not be disappointed.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:36 PM
I agree with everything Penny said; until you have tried a few Princess ships and have a favorite or favorites, pick a cruise by the itinerary, not the shp--especially a Mediterranean cruise. The ships are more similar than they are different; but the itineraries can vary greatly.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:57 AM

Princess ships in the Med will be a lot more formal than in the Caribbean because of the number of Brits on board who like to dress up on formal nights. If that is a realy problem, I would suggest a less formal line such as Royal Caribbean.

Regards,

Bill

Old 07-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Bill, I don't doubt for a second that that was your experience on Princess in the Mediterranean; but I have been on Princess three times and there was neither what I would consider a high percentage of Brits nor was the cruise any more formal than any other I have been on . . .maybe even a little less.

And as Penny pointed out, there are alternatives to the dining rooms on formal nights.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:31 AM

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. I can now make a decision. Thanks again.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:31 AM

F-mattox,

Are you saying that your 3 cruises on Princess in the Med didn't have many Brits? I find that a bit surprising.

Regards,

Bill

Old 07-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Are you saying that your 3 cruises on Princess in the Med didn't have many Brits? I find that a bit surprising.
That's what I am saying. There were many nationalities represented but not an unusually large percentage of any in particular--except Americans. And while there were some tuxedos and dinner jackets, most gentlemen wore dark suits or blazers and slacks.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:01 PM

With reference to a longer cruise in MED and dressing up for formal nights, if luggage is an issue, I did see some gentlemen wear black shirt, black pants and tie to formal nights. Also, a dark black sweater, tie, and dark pants were worn by others. My husband simply takes a black jacket and dresses is up or down depending on semi formal or formal nights.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, pick, princess, ship