Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2005, 05:19 PM

I have been reading on some of the message boards that people have had their passports taken up (by the purser) till the end of the cruise. Why would this occur? I would not feel comfortable surrendering my passport to another person. Can someone explain this to me?

Caribbean Hotel Reviews
Old 01-26-2005, 05:19 PM

I have been reading on some of the message boards that people have had their passports taken up (by the purser) till the end of the cruise. Why would this occur? I would not feel comfortable surrendering my passport to another person. Can someone explain this to me?

Caribbean Hotel Reviews
Old 01-26-2005, 07:38 PM

Many countries will require inspection of the passports of cruise passengers. When immigration officers come aboard a ship to clear it into their country they will spot-check (at least) the passports of the cruise passengers. This all takes place while the passengers are dining in the restaurants, or otherwise are unbothered by the intrusion.

It is very common on international cruises to check your passport with the purser for the entire cruise and claim it at the end of the cruise. It is actually a benefit, as one does not have to wait in line to clear immigration at every port.

Tom
Old 01-26-2005, 07:41 PM

Oooops, I forgot to mention that you should take a color photo of your passport to carry with you while on shore excursions. It will prove valuable if you miss the ship for any reason.

Tom
Old 02-01-2005, 02:04 PM

Tom,

That's just about the most useful thing I've picked up from the board. I had thought to make a copy of the page, and to take it along, but I hadn't thought to take it along on the shore excursions. I am guessing a waterproof case of some variety that could be worn like a money belt might be a really good thing to have.

Thanks for the tip!

Golden Princess

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, passport, passports, purser, surrender, takes