Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruises (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/princess-cruises/)
-   -   Princess Cruises or Celebrity Cruises?? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/princess-cruises/6069-princess-cruises-celebrity-cruises.html)

surfinia 07-07-2009 11:05 AM

We have only taken 3 cruises and all on Celebrity, Constellation, Millennium and Solstice.
Can anyone tell me if Princess are the same standard, better, or not as good.
I know everyone has a different experience, but this is a general question, about cabins, food, staff and entertainment. Thanks all.

penny3333 07-07-2009 11:15 AM

I can let you know in December. We've been on 9 Princess cruises and have never been disappointed. The ships are immaculate, the staff is fantastic, the cabins are much larger than Carnival, NCL, and Royal. Costa's cabins are larger. HAL is about the same. The entertainment is good, the food is very good, and depending on the ship the ammenities are very good. Hope this helps a little. I know there are a few members that have cruised with both lines, so hopefully they will see your post.

Cruise Fanatic 07-07-2009 12:19 PM

Penny has given some good information on Princess. I have been on both Princess and Celebrity and feel they are comparable in food, entertainment, and service. I only disagree with the size of the cabins. It can vary from ship to ship, but I think it can be very deceiving on room size. The same sized cabin can appear very different when laid out differently. If you compare the normal balcony on Princess in the BA-BG category to Carnival's normal balcony 8A-8G category the Carnival cabins are larger in square footage. When I say "normal" balcony, I mean a regular outside cabin with balcony. Not something called a mini-suite or suite. On most Carnival ships their balcony cabins are 185 Sq ft, and Princess balconies most ships range from 155-173. There are several Costa ships that are the same deck plan as Carnival ships such as the Costa Mediterranea, it's balcony cabin is also 185 sq ft. The Celebrity Millennium class ships 2a-2C balconies are 170 sq ft. So as you see there is a variety of cabin sizes. The amount of furniture in each cabin and the way it is arranged may make the cabin appear larger than it is.

I think it's great you want to try something different. If the price, itinerary, and ship, meets your needs on Princess then why not try it.

SD Cruiser 07-07-2009 03:34 PM

We have cruised on both, and they each have their strong points. We have enjoyed all our cruises on both. One thing you will miss on Princess is the special treatment you get at embarkation with champagne on Celebrity. I do not even drink, but I still think it adds a touch of elegance. I also do think Celebrity is very slightly ahead in service, and is a slightly more upscale experience. However, we will continue to cruise on both lines.

f-mattox 07-07-2009 03:50 PM

I have never cruised with Celebrity, only Princess, and I am completely happy with them. But I have friends who have cruised with both and their opinions are very much the same as SD Cruiser's: both are great and Princess is the better value, but Celebrity is probably a cut above.

Cruise Fanatic 07-08-2009 07:35 AM

While I enjoy both cruise lines I do prefer Celebrity. There's just something about the ambiance of Celebrity that I really like.

SD Cruiser 07-08-2009 11:00 AM

With the new Captain's Club benefits, Celebrity is looking even more attractive. As I understand it, you get to Elite status after 10 cruises, (with some extra credit for long cruises and concierge class) whereas on Princess it takes 15 unless you go on very long cruises. The Select benefits (5-9 cruises) are still better on Princess for the comparable range. However, since I have six cruise credits on Celebrity, I am really going to try to get ten completed. The benefits were worthless before, in my opinion, But now they are enticing, and there is supposed to be more to come.

Dave 07-08-2009 11:25 AM

Quote:

With the new Captain's Club benefits, Celebrity is looking even more attractive.
Yes, to me too. We are CC Elite level by virtue of being RCI diamonds, and frankly the new CC benefits are better. RCI will give me 25% off cocktails at the happy hour, Celebrity will make them totally complimentary. Then you add in the laundry and internet perks - neither of which RCI will offer diamond members - and it looks really good for Celebrity in my future.

Cruise Fanatic 07-08-2009 12:49 PM

I agree the benefits can be enticing. That is; when comparing two cruises and all else is the same, then the benefits can be the tie breaker. But if two cruises have a specific itinerary I want to see, and A has it and B with benefits doesn't, then I'm picking the one that meets my needs regardless of benefits. Moral of the story, one shouldn't get so dependent on benefits to cloud their judgement on booking another cruise, that would be other wise be very enjoyable.