Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 02:43 PM

I am trying to persuade friends to plan a cruise with me. One is very excited, the other is afraid to take a cruise because of severe motion sickness. Does anyone have any experiences or suggestions with motion sickness on a cruise?
Old 02-03-2010, 03:32 PM

There are several different things one can do for motion sickness. Everyone is different in their sensitivity to motion. Remedies can be as simple as eating ginger or green apples, keeping food on the stomach, and when up on deck focus on the horizon. They may speak with their Doctor about a medicated patch which is placed behind the ear. Some people take the Bonine motion sickness pill. There also are some wrist bands you can buy which put pressure on pulse points.

The ships all have stabilizers. You may want to go on one of the newer mega ships. I can hardly tell they are moving. You may want to book a cabin midship on a lower deck also.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:39 PM
If you click the "Find" tab at the top-left of the page and enter "motion sicknes" you will find many threads with good information on the subject.

For someone prone to motion sickness I would suggest two things: get a perscription from a doctor for a patch that can be worn around-the-clock; there are many good over-the-counter remedies, but for a severe case I would consult a doctor. Next, book a cabin on a low deck and near the middle of the ship. The motion of the ship will be less noticeable there than anyplace else.

But assure your friend that the very large and modern ships today, with their stabilizers and gyroscopes, have very little motion. Most of the time you are not even aware you are on a ship. And in the rare case when you encounter severe weather or high seas, the patch should keep you very comfortable.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:29 AM

Bonine is a "less drowsy" medication that cures motion sickness for a full 24 hours. I get severe motion sickness (on the flight, in a car, the ship is just a given) and it is the best. It was recommended to be my the ship's doctor on my second cruise--as he was peeling off the patch and throwing it away. I got a very disdainful "you Americans and your patches" as he tossed it in the bin, and then a run down on the superiority of the medical community in Sweden, along with a week's supply of Bonine. I have stuck with it ever since!
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 02-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Spoheat,
Boy am I with you on this. The patch was a big mistake for all four of us. It took us a few days to realize why we all had cotton mouth, feeling not very well, and my daughter and husband complained of blurred vision..1 of the side effects not to mention swollen ankles that was some bad stuff. Bonine is very good

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 02-06-2010, 04:17 PM

Do you need a prescription for Bonine? Thank you.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:51 PM
AF.
No, I got my at Target, I have seen it at WalGreen and WalMart. It doesn't cost much either. I tell everyone ...I hated the Patch

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 02-06-2010, 07:57 PM

We always use Gravol and it's the best you ever want. There are many difference types. We take the Ginger pills and it works very fast.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:38 PM

You actually don't even have to buy the Bonine brand. They have the generics at Wal-Mart. The active ingredient to look for is Meclizine. I've only had to use it a few times during rough seas, and it does work. Most people I've spoken with that are prone to motion sickness recommend taking it before hand.

The normal movement of the ship doesn't bother me very much. As a precaution I've been taking the Ginger pills/supplements that Wooddon suggested in the prior post as a "just in case" measure the last 2 cruises. They really do seem to help prevent that feeling from even starting with me. I usually start taking them a few days before the cruise.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
ankles, bands, bonine, cruise, cruises, deck, forum, large, motion, patch, people, ships, sickness, swollen, versus, wrist