Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 09:04 AM

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know how the 'directly charged to your stateroom' gratuity works? $10.50 to $11.00 per person per day. Who gets what percentage?
I have also heard that the gratuity is now part of their pay, so they get a lower per hour rate.
Is that true?
Thank you.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:29 AM
The purpose of the automatic gratuity was to include some of the employees that provide services, but don't normally come in contact with the passengers. I doubt if there is any way to find out exactly how the pot is divided. Even if you tip directly and follow the guidelines ($3.75 for cabin steward, $3.75 for dining room waiter, $2.50 for assistant waiter, etc.) the money still goes into a pot and is divided according to the protocol of that ship or line.

The gratuity has always been considered part of the pay; the hourly rate did not go down when the tips became automatic. It is generally believed that the automatic tipping was initiated because so many passengers do not tip.

To me the automatic tip is a convenience and also a minimum ammount. I expect a certain level of service; if the service exceeds my expectations, I tip extra accordingly.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:16 PM

What if the level of service is way below your expectations?
This was our 16th cruise with Princess...we are loyal customers The 3rd on the Emerald Princess and the level of service has degraded from cruise to cruise.....only on this ship.
They forgot a millenium birthday. We booked this cruise just for the birthday.....no balloons....no cake.
We have made a complaint through our Princess rep.
Our cabin guy...who we did not see throughout the cruise did not do a decent job of cleaning our cabin.
Our dining room guys were too busy looking at womens cleavages...never offered fresh ground pepper on any of my meals....service...poor.
Captains circle party invitations show up 10 hrs between each other.
Post cruise excursions forms never showed up in our cabins.
Bar service....did not know how to mix a Mai Tai.
Ordered hot chocolate....got a paper cup with hot water and a pouch of powder chocolate...I refused and made the guy do it right. Its not free...we pay for it...so why dont we get what we should.
Its only on the Emerald.
Had a fabulous time on the Grand doing Aegean and Egypt..
Old 02-08-2010, 03:43 PM
You always have the option of cancelling the auto gratuities and tipping or not tipping as you see fit.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:02 AM

Sorry to hear that Mebs, we had wonderful service on the Emerald. Our cabin steward was absolutely amazing. We'd be gone for 20-30 minutes, and the cabin was spotless again. It just goes to show, the crew can make or break your cruise.

As f-mattox stated, you can adjust your tips or remove them as you see fit.

Closed Thread

Tags
automatic, canceling, charge, charges, cruise, divide, eliminate, emerald, gratuity, line, norwegian, princess, send, service, ship, tip, waiter