Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruises (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/princess-cruises/)
-   -   formal wear on Princess (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/princess-cruises/6772-formal-wear-princess.html)

BritChris 10-28-2009 01:47 PM

We've sailed several times previously and are taking an East Med cruise in November. I have a week in England and then a week in Rome before we begin the cruise. In all we need clothes for 4 weeks. My hubby is resisting this time using a tuxedo and wants to wear a Harris tweed jacket and tie for the whole trip. He plans to use only a carry-on bag for this trip. We've managed that before for a four month European trip but not for a cruise. So, what are the latest stats for folks not wearing evening dress on a 12 day European cruise? I really don't want to go to the buffet just to avoid the issue on the two formal nights. Thanks for your advice!

penny3333 10-28-2009 02:36 PM

He should be fine, a tuxedo is not required, just a coat/tie with a dress shirt and pants. Sounds like a marvelous vacation! Best wishes!

f-mattox 10-28-2009 02:41 PM

Dining room attire is getting more relaxed all the time; and all the new restrictions and charges for luggage are causing people to travel much lighter. If your husband can get by with a carry-on bag, more power to him.

A 12 night Mediterranean cruise on Princess will be a little more formal than a lot of other cruises; but I personally would not be at all uncomfortable with just a jacket and tie--even on formal night, although I might opt for a navy or black blazer rather than a tweed.

BritChris 10-30-2009 08:09 AM

Thanks for the advice. I will try and persuade him to take a navy or black blazer (he has both) instead of the tweed. I think the tweed is very practical for the rest of the travel we are doing but I think it won't work for the formals. Now to worry about what I will wear if he is not wearing a tuxedo!

pink845 10-30-2009 08:19 AM

Hi BritChris

We were on the Crown for a 12 day East Med Cruise in May. There were 2 I believe formal nights. Sure there are lots of tuxedos, but my husband wears suits every day to work and when we travel, that is the last thing he wants to bring with him. He was not out of place at all with a black sports jacket (even on formal nights). On Formal nights, he added a tie. I brought one sleeveless cocktail dress and just dressed it up on the two formal nights with sheer shawls. The other nights a fancy little jacket with pants. Have a great trip!! (Of course, my 12 year old opted to be fancy wearing a three piece suit )

BritChris 10-30-2009 01:48 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I've talked my husband out of the Harris tweed (black and white herringbone) into a dark blue sports coat, which I can live with. Much relief! Still won't like it on formal night but it beats the tweed!

f-mattox 10-30-2009 06:02 PM

You didn't mention it was a black and white herringbone; I would be comfortable with that with a classy black turtleneck :-)

BritChris 10-30-2009 08:53 PM

Snazzy taste!

appletizer 11-15-2009 04:23 PM

what about rent a tuxedo option?

dingle 11-16-2009 01:21 PM

Having just returned from a Carribean cruise on the Sea Princess you would not be out of place in a baseball hat shorts and trainers (for dinner !!)