Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2009, 06:10 AM

Has anyone received an email from Princess regarding a refund of incorrectly calculated port charges from a previous Ruby sailing to a Mexican port? If so, what has been your experience regarding the collection of the money? The email I received is shown below.

August 19, 2009

Dear XXXX XXXX,

We enjoyed having you onboard Ruby Princess® and hope you have wonderful memories of your Caribbean voyage.

We are contacting you at this time because you have been identified as a past passenger who sailed on Ruby Princess® to Mexican ports last winter.

During a recent review we have identified an administrative error in the calculation of the Government Fees and Taxes on your recent Mexico voyage. The result of this review was an over charge to your account of approximately $10 USD per person.

As a gesture of goodwill we have credited your Captain’s Circle account with a Future Cruise Credit of $25 USD per person. This credit will be available for you to use onboard any future Princess Cruise® booked by September 31, 2011.

If this offer does not meet your needs, in lieu of the future cruise credit, you may request a refund of the over charge of approximately $10 per person by writing to us at the address below before September 31, 2009:

Princess Cruises
Customer Relations
24844 Ave. Rockefeller
Santa Clarita, CA 91355

Please provide your full name and booking number.

We sincerely apologize for this error on our part and look forward to hosting you again on a future Princess cruise.

Sincerely,

Eric Findon,
Vice President Customer Service
Princess Cruises

PZ09MS058

For questions, please contact us at 1-800-PRINCESS (1-800-774-6237).
Old 08-27-2009, 07:09 AM

Seems pretty cut and dry. If you will cruise before Sep 30, 2011 (note September doesn't have 31 days), you will get it as onboard credit. I would print out the email and carry it with you on your next cruise.

Since the email was just sent on August 19th there's barely been enough time for Princess to respond if anyone did request the refund in lieu of the onboard credit.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:25 AM

It seems that even though we have another cruise booked for Nov (and haven't made final payment) our TA wasn't willing to get us the $50 without taking a commission of $10. Other people have run into this same situation & I was curious if anyone on this board has had a similar experience.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:42 AM

I guess I'm missing something here. I don't see where PCL giving you back a refund on taxes affects your next booking. If you requested the refund in cash they should either send you a check or credit your CC. If you take the onboard credit for you next cruise it should just be there on your onboard account. Taxes are not something TA's get paid commission on. If you've asked you TA if you could get that refund applied to your next booking as part of the payment, then yes, it very may be that PCL wants to take it off the top which would affect her commission. It would be much easier for you to just take the onboard credit for your next cruise.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:32 AM

We've booked a cruise for Nov and final payment has not yet been billed to my CC. I called my TA & thought I could apply the $50 deduction before she billed it but she's telling me that it will be discounted by $10 because of her commission.
I thought it strange because it wasn't yet final billed.
Princess is saying I should tell them upfront when booking. I'm not sure what the difference is but it looks as though I'll just hold it until I book another cruise for next year to get the whole amount.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Ahh, it says "future cruise credit". I thought it was an on-board credit. I guess the issue is it needs to be for a new booking and not an existing one.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:42 PM
But then it says, "This credit will be available for you TO USE ONBOARD any future Princess Cruise. . ."; confusing, to say the least.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:02 PM

I suppose they can say that we booked the cruise prior to receiving the email.
1 was fully paid for, 1 wasn't until Aug 31.
They've always got something in their ad's or emails that seems to limit my plans to some degree. Not that $10 is going to keep me from going, but it's the way they do thinks some times that gets annoying. Oh well, next cruise.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
As a gesture of goodwill we have credited your Captain’s Circle account with a Future Cruise Credit of $25 USD per person. This credit will be available for you to use onboard any future Princess Cruise® booked by September 31, 2011.
Yes, this statement is very contradicting. Future cruise credit, and onboard credit two separate things. I think it's money credited for onboard use. I would call the number provided though and ask them to clarify the statement.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Administrator

This reminds me of a memo I once got while working for the TVA, which touted a new policy at the plant. "This revised policy is the same as the one it replaces, except that it is different in several ways". I still laugh when I think about it.

Closed Thread

Tags
board, commission, credit, cruise, cruises, die, eric, findon, forum, future, location, princess, refund, review, reviews, ruby