Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2007, 08:56 AM

When we finally receive the cruise documents, will they tell us about our luggage? For instance, we arrive in Anchorage for the land tour. We made our flight plans through Princess. They must hold the cruise luggage until after the land tour is over. When do they pick up our luggage? When will we see it again--in our cabin?

We purchased a pre-cruise package where we will arrive a day early. Will Princess meet us at the airport and take us to the motel? I know that RCCL does this, but this is our first Princess cruise.

We booked this directly with Princess instead of through a travel agent. While everyone at Princess has been nice, I think I have learned to use a TA in the future. Especially for a somewhat complicated cruise like this (pre-cruise, land tour, flights, etc.) Oh, well, hopefully it will go smoothly!

They were not able to get my husband and I on adjoining seats on the flight from Anchorage to Minneapolis. That is a long flight and a big disappointment. I hope some kind souls will trade their seats so we can be together. It is about a 6 hour flight and I might need his shoulder to sleep on!

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding the train trip to Denali? Where to sit? On the way to Mt. McKinley Lodge and then Denali Lodge, will we be eating meals on the train? Will all this be answered in our information packet?

This will be so different from our Caribbean cruises that I feel like a first time cruiser myself! Except that I already KNOW that I love cruising!

Nadine
Old 03-15-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nadine M:
When we finally receive the cruise documents, will they tell us about our luggage? For instance, we arrive in Anchorage for the land tour. We made our flight plans through Princess. They must hold the cruise luggage until after the land tour is over. When do they pick up our luggage? When will we see it again--in our cabin?

We purchased a pre-cruise package where we will arrive a day early. Will Princess meet us at the airport and take us to the motel? I know that RCCL does this, but this is our first Princess cruise.

We booked this directly with Princess instead of through a travel agent. While everyone at Princess has been nice, I think I have learned to use a TA in the future. Especially for a somewhat complicated cruise like this (pre-cruise, land tour, flights, etc.) Oh, well, hopefully it will go smoothly!

They were not able to get my husband and I on adjoining seats on the flight from Anchorage to Minneapolis. That is a long flight and a big disappointment. I hope some kind souls will trade their seats so we can be together. It is about a 6 hour flight and I might need his shoulder to sleep on!

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding the train trip to Denali? Where to sit? On the way to Mt. McKinley Lodge and then Denali Lodge, will we be eating meals on the train? Will all this be answered in our information packet?

This will be so different from our Caribbean cruises that I feel like a first time cruiser myself! Except that I already KNOW that I love cruising!

Nadine
Here is a link to the Princess web site's Cruise Tour Answer book which will answer many of your questions.http://www.princess.com/pdf/global/c...nswer_Book.pdf

Future cruises:
Star Princess - Dec. 2007-Rome- TA
Crown Princess- May 2008 TA & Baltics
Pacific Princess-Nov. 2008-Holy Land & Egypt
Diamond Princess- Apr. 2009 Asia- Bangkok to Whittier
Past cruises:
Golden Princess-2007-Alaska
Sea Princess-2005 Canada/New England
Diamond Princess- 2005 Mexican Riviera
Star Princess- 2004 x2 Med. Venice to Barcelona/ Barcelona to Rome
Dawn Princess - 2004 x3- Southern Caribbean
Grand Princess- 2003 x2 W.Caribbean/ 2004 Panama
Sun Princess- 2003 Mexico
Tahitian Princess- 2003 Tahiti & Cook Islands
Royal Princess- 2003 x2- British Isles / Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
Island Princess- 2003 Panama Canal / 2007 Hawaii
Sky Princess- 2000 China & Orient
Sitmar's Fairwind - 1979 x2- Caribbean/Panama Canal
-------------------------------------------------
HAL-Amsterdam- 2004 Alaska
HAL Ryndam - 2001 x 2- S. America
------------------------------------------
Viking Spirit/Pride -2006 Budapest to Amsterdam
Old 03-15-2007, 04:25 PM

Thank you BJS. Should I print that or will they send me the brochure with the cruise documents?
Old 03-15-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Thank you BJS. Should I print that or will they send me the brochure with the cruise documents?
They send the regular Cruise Answer Book so am assuming they will send the one for the Cruise Tours also. The only cruise tour we took was years ago and they did not have the books at that time.

Future cruises:
Past cruises:
Old 03-15-2007, 06:23 PM

Nadine, how did you know what seat you were assigned on the flight? I thought you didn't find that out until you get a boarding pass. I'll be extremely disappointed also if my husband and I don't get seats together. Ours also is a 6 hour flight.

Lanie
Old 03-15-2007, 06:52 PM
Just a note of encouragement, LanieB;
on one of our Princess trips United had assigned us seats that were not together. When I told the agent at the gate my wife and I were on our 30th anniversary cruise, she gave us two adjoining seats--in business class.
Never hurts to ask--nicely.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:45 PM

After reading the previous few posts concerning flights and seat assignments, I decided to check the Princess site for any updated information concerning our flight reservations. Sure enough.... flight info had been posted since my last visit to the site.

I was not happy with the return flights booked from Fairbanks to New Orleans. The had usleaving Fairbanks at 9:40 p.m. We have booked 1 post night in Fairbanks and did not want another day there. We also did not want to leave that late to return home.

I visited my travel agent today. She was able to rebook an earlier departure. She also reserved our seats at the same time. Not many options were available, so we were not able to get window seats, BUT, we were able to get seats together. That was more important to me, especially on such long flights back home. Of course, we did have to pay the $50 per person fee for changing the original flights.

If you booked thru a travel agent, they should be able to reserve your seats together. It is worth giving them a call. Good luck!
Old 03-16-2007, 01:28 PM

Unfortunately, we did not use a TA this time. Poor timing!

I found out our seat assignments by calling Northwest. Princess told me they didn't have that information, or couldn't give it to me. Can't remember which excuse it was!!!

I think I will check our flight info on the Princess site and see if anything has changed. Right now, we are satisfied with the times so I hope they don't change them.

f-mattox, I think we will try that logic if we can't make other seating arrangements between now and the cruise. Thanks!

Nadine
Old 03-16-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, we did not use a TA this time. Poor timing!

I found out our seat assignments by calling Northwest. Princess told me they didn't have that information, or couldn't give it to me. Can't remember which excuse it was!!!

I think I will check our flight info on the Princess site and see if anything has changed. Right now, we are satisfied with the times so I hope they don't change them.

f-mattox, I think we will try that logic if we can't make other seating arrangements between now and the cruise. Thanks!

Nadine
You do not have to use a TA. When you book directly with Princess you can speak with their air deviation department. Any changes to flights or requests for certain flights do incur a fee. If the flights you want do not have any seats available in the Princess booking class you will have to pay the difference. Princess will tell you what the charges will be and ask you if you want to proceed.

Seat assignments are usually the responsibility of the person that is flying. Once you get your itinerary you need to call the airlines and get the seat assignments. If you have a TA they will do that for you either automatically or upon your request.

If you have a frequent flyer card with the airlines either Princess or your TA can add that to your flight and then it will show up on the airline's web site where you can make seat changes. You can also call the airlines and add that information. Some airlines on some flights do not allow you to do this online you must call them.

When booking cruise air we always find the flights we want then call the air deviation department at Princess, pay the fee, and get the flights we want and usually at no extra cost. This can usually be done 6 months before the cruise. That way we are not disappointed and have the ability to get good seats.

I have found out from experience that even when booking flights directly with the airlines they will give you the worst seats on the plane unless you request your seats. Go to http://www.seatguru.com/ and look at the seat maps which show you the seats to avoid.

Another hint: Go to the airlines web site and search for the flight you are booked on as a new booking. Most will give you an option to view the seat charts to see what seats are available on your flight. You might have to enter names, any like sammy cat or david dog will do, to proceed to that point. That makes things much easier when calling the airlines, TA whom ever to get your seats changed because you can just ask for certain seats.

Future cruises:
Past cruises:
Old 03-16-2007, 03:48 PM

Thank you so much for the insight! Sorry if I sounded angry. I just needed some chocolate and an attitude adjustment! I do appreciate your help.

I looked at the seats on the flight I am concerned about and it looks like it's a full flight. I didn't see two together. But I will check every once in a while and see if anything changes. Like I said, the other flights are ok. We have a one hour layover in Minneapolis, so I think that should be enough time to get our luggage from one plane to the other. We are arriving in Anchorage a day early to allow time for luggage to catch up with us!!!!

We are really excited and a little overwhelmed by our first Alaska cruise. We love scenery and wildlife, so I think this will be a wonderful experience. Thank you all, again, for your kind help and support!

Nadine

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, alaskan, attire, bring, clothes, clothing, cruise, golden, hot, inside, outfits, packing, princess, sweaters, week