Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2005, 06:19 PM

Looking for a little advice - we're booked on a Star cruise starting Sunday 10/30. One of the ports we were to visit was Cozumel. That seems out of the question after the battering it took from Wilma. Will another port be scheduled in it's place - will Princess advise of this change in advance, etc, etc?? Grand Cayman & Ocho Rios were other ports scheduled. We understand they rec'd lots of rain last week & this week, does anyone have info how Jamaica faired through all this? Any advice would be appreciated! We're still eager to go and do - we truly need a great vacation. We'd prefer sunshine & warm temps, but have no fear of a little wet sunshine either.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:39 AM

Gardening Gal,

Have not heard that Cozumel was destroyed due to Wilma. Yes, they were hit with the heavy winds & rain, but, again, not severe enough to close the port at this time.
I have not heard any update on Jamaica either. I know the other cruises have gone there.

Princess & other cruise lines keep passenger safety first at all times. IF they deem the seas too rough or a port unsafe they will alter your itineary. As done this cruise they did a more Eastern route & went to St. Thomas & St. Maarten.

Hopefully by the time you leave things will settle down some.
I do have friends working on the Star. If I hear anything from them I will update you.

Enjoy your cruise The Star is a lovely ship.

Cathy

Link to my webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community
Old 10-23-2005, 08:33 AM

Hey Cathy -
Thanks for the reply. We'd truly be happy going anywhere as I'm a very happy camper sailing in the Carribean or Europe. I could have been, mistaken about the trashing Cozumel rec'd, but when The Weather Channel says they rec'd rain in terms of several feet as opposed to inches, one has to wonder. Besides this, how rude to get off a gleaming ship when so many homes could have been damaged. It would truly strike me as more appropriate to go & help clean up rather than be a tourist looking for a little fun. Like you say, I'm sure Princess will evaluate all situations. Let me know if your friends have any words of wisdom! Thanks again - Sue
Old 10-23-2005, 12:20 PM

HI Sue,

I missed a phone call from one of my Star friends - had gone to the farm to get apples.

Anyway, I will keep you posted if I hear anything. The cruise today will leave at 4pm.
And no Cozumel stop, Costa Maya.

Last March I was on the Golden & we stopped at Grenada. Wow. I was sad to see the remaining devastation there from a bad hurricane.
They need the cruise ship revenue to help rebuild. But, it is difficult to see.

I agree looking forward to your cruise with a positive attitude is the best.
Wish I was going in one week too!!!

Cathy

Link to my webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community
Old 10-23-2005, 02:48 PM

Sue,

Reading some posts about Cozumel. ??? Not sure what the status of the cruise ships is yet.

Here is a site with info:

http://www.stormcarib.com/reports/2005/mexico.shtml

Cathy
Old 10-23-2005, 03:19 PM

Cathy - My,my,my you are well connected! Thanks for sending the link - i thought they were in for a rough time of it. Hope your friends, family, fellow travelers are safe. We'll keep them in our prayers. Sue
Old 10-23-2005, 03:40 PM

HI Sue,

Here is another site:
http://www.cancunmap.com/

Looks like I was way premature about saying no destruction in Cozumel.
My thoughts & prayers are with them too.

Cathy
Old 10-24-2005, 04:03 PM

Sue,

Nancy has provided a detailed update on the devastation of Cozumel in the Caribbean section. Horrible.

I do hope that your cruise goes well & safely.

Cathy

Closed Thread