Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blue eyes:
Hi. POP vs Soda - well not sure why they (us Brits) call it POP probably because of the noise when being poured! You have got me thinking now, will try to find out and let you know. Thanks for replying, been a little off colour so sorry for delay in responding!
I hope you are feeling right as rain now!
Old 02-27-2007, 08:15 PM

OK - answers to all questions including "POP"
"POP" is the sound that is made when a softdrink is opened.

Tipping: I had to opportunity to discuss the automatic $10 tip per day on Princess with my room steward on my last cruise. I asked him if he knew that we paid automatically. He said he did know as he is paid each day $3 per passenger. In my opinion for the amount of times he cleaned my room and took care of every little request it was a very fair price to pay. I can not name a single 5 or 6 star hotel in the world that equals a cruise ship cabin stewards performance. The balance of the $10 per day is as follows $3 to your waiter, $1.5 to your waiter's assistant leaving a balance of $2.50 to the $1 each to the head waiter and head steward and $.50 to the people behind the scenes. The bartender's tips are pooled from the 15% added to your purchase and divided amongst themselves. The cocktail servers keep the 15% they earn on their own. The cocktail servers receive no pay on nights when they pass hors'dourves(?). Most of the tipped staff earns $100 per month wages plus their tips. It is best to think as of the $10 per day gratuity as part of your fare just payable at the end of the cruise.
The soda card was $26 on the Caribbean Princess on 2/4/07 - 7 day and came with a reusable insulated Coca-Cola cup that was your to keep. They were selling them in the Horizon Cafe at the first day buffet luncheon. Don't be surprised if they add gratuity to that amount. I didn't buy one I am a Corona or Caribbean Rum girl myself. Juices were avaiable in the buffet section but the flavors changes daily. I ddrink grapefruit but they only had that once. They did have orange everyday. Ice tea was always available at the coffee station.
Hope this helps. Have a great cruise!
Maureen

Previous Cruises:
RCCL - Enchantment of the Seas - Eastern
Carnival - Fascination X2 - Southern
Carnival - Tropicale - Western
Celebrity - Millennium - Eastern
Celebrity - Century - Western
Princess - Caribbean - Eastern
Old 02-28-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Maureen361:

Tipping: I had to opportunity to discuss the automatic $10 tip per day on Princess with my room steward on my last cruise. I asked him if he knew that we paid automatically. He said he did know as he is paid each day $3 per passenger.Maureen
It is interesting the variety of answers you will get from the room stewards or the diningroom staff when you ask about the automatic tipping.

I don't doubt that is what he told you but I question how he could be automatically paid a tip based on a tip that may or maynot be left. Depending on the number of cruisers that removed their automatic tips or gave no tip that was turned into the pool giving him the $3 could have a substantial impact on the operational cost of that cruise.

We have been told by several of the crew that they must turn in personally handed tips to their supervisor with the name and cabin number of the passanger that gave it to them. They said at the end of the cruise their supervisor checks to see if that passanger left the automatic gratuity in place. If it was left in place they are given back the personal gratuity and if not the money is added to the pool. It is an honor system with them to turn in the money but if anyone finds out they have not then they could loose their job.

I imagine some place inbetween all of the answers we receive is the truth. It may also vary from ship to ship. One thing for sure is that their pay is quite a bit lower than wages in the U.S. but for many a great deal higher than they could earn in their own country and that is why they seek employment on the cruise ships.

Future cruises:
Star Princess - Dec. 2007-Rome- TA
Crown Princess- May 2008 TA & Baltics
Pacific Princess-Nov. 2008-Holy Land & Egypt
Diamond Princess- Apr. 2009 Asia- Bangkok to Whittier
Past cruises:
Golden Princess-2007-Alaska
Sea Princess-2005 Canada/New England
Diamond Princess- 2005 Mexican Riviera
Star Princess- 2004 x2 Med. Venice to Barcelona/ Barcelona to Rome
Dawn Princess - 2004 x3- Southern Caribbean
Grand Princess- 2003 x2 W.Caribbean/ 2004 Panama
Sun Princess- 2003 Mexico
Tahitian Princess- 2003 Tahiti & Cook Islands
Royal Princess- 2003 x2- British Isles / Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
Island Princess- 2003 Panama Canal / 2007 Hawaii
Sky Princess- 2000 China & Orient
Sitmar's Fairwind - 1979 x2- Caribbean/Panama Canal
-------------------------------------------------
HAL-Amsterdam- 2004 Alaska
HAL Ryndam - 2001 x 2- S. America
------------------------------------------
Viking Spirit/Pride -2006 Budapest to Amsterdam
Old 03-01-2007, 03:10 AM

This is one of the best chat sites I have encountered (and I must admit to only using a couple!) You guys are so helpful (I am already sounding american!)

I have luckily been upgraded to Dolphin deck, but sadly not to an outside cabin. I shall have to wait for my "ship to come in" (pardon pun!) to afford that - nevertheless it is midship and should be fine.

Can anyone tell me if they have bathrobes in the inside cabins? It would save on the packing. Also do they introduce independent travellers to each other or not? Although I am travelling with my mother who is 75, it would certainly be nice to meet any other unattached females/males of my own age (late fortys) for a chat - so....if you are doing the Baltic on the Star on 22nd May drop me a line! Thanks again. Take care.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Hello blue eyes (I love saying that!),
the cabins don't automatically come with robes--even if you request it in your pre-cruise paperwork. But all you have to do is request one from your steward as soon as he introduces himself and you will have it by the next morning.
And yes. they do have special get-togethers for singles; just watch your Princess Patter (newsletter) for the announcements.
Have a wonderful cruise!
Old 03-01-2007, 12:50 PM

Thanks f-mattox you are so knowledgeable I guess you must cruise a lot!! We are located very near (4 cabins) from the panaramic lifts. Will these be noisy do you think? Thanks for your help now I know not to pack my robe anyway!
Old 03-01-2007, 01:18 PM
blue eyes,
from the information you have given it looks like you are in D520 or D521; this is really an ideal location for you and especially for your mother, as you are midship and close to the lifts. Being near the lifts and stair landings will be no problem as far as noise--there are no public rooms near you and you are far enough down the hall.
And there are other advantages to your location; being relatively low and midship, any motion will be minimal where you are. Also, you have nothing but cabins above and below you so your cabin will be very quiet.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:42 PM

many thanks again for such a speedy reply - your reassurance was a big help as yes I have this cabin and am thankful it is close to everything. If it is not too much trouble could you tell me if the breakfast areas are near to where you get out of lifts or is it some distance as I know it is a large ship. Thanks again for taking the time.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:57 PM

Just an afterthought - could anyone tell me if it is possible to change from Personal Dining to Traditional once onboard? We have chosen Personal but are having second thoughts as thought we might not get to know anybody that way-do you have an opinion? thanks
Old 03-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Let me answer the dining question first. There is some confusion about Princess' terminology; "Personal Choice" is just Princess' way of saying there are many different dining options; among the many options are "Traditional" and "Anytime". There are also "Specialty" restaurants (Sabatini's and Sterling Steakhouse) and "casual dining" (Horizon Court Buffet, Prego Pizzeria, Triden Grill, etc.).
Now that I've thoroughly confused you, I believe your question is referring to "Traditional" and "Anytime" dining. Traditional means you have an assigned table and either first or second sitting; Anytime means just that--you can go anytime between 5:30 and 10:00 and sit wherever you wish--although this may sometimes involve a wait.
Once onboard, you may change from Traditional to Anytime--but not the other way around. If you think you would prefer Traditionl call your travel agent or Princess and change it right away.
My wife and I prefer Traditional as we like having the same waiters and table mates each night. Breakfast and lunch are open seating so you are always meeting new people then.
I hope in my convoluted way I have answered your question.

Closed Thread

Tags
15, blue, cruise, d520, d521, day, deck, dolphin, drink, eyes, golden, ol, princess, reviews, star, tip, tipping