Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2002, 12:04 PM

Just home fom a great week, my 5th time on the Grand.

I do believe that she could use some general sprucing up, the kind that a dry or wet dock would do. The crew were sanitizing her constantly, they could be seen spraying and wiping down walls, railings, etc all the time. I especially noticed this on the deck chairs.

Our service in the dining room (traditional seating, late) was outstanding as was the food. One must remember that food opinions are subjective, what one passenger feels is excellent is deemed horrible by another passenger. (NOTE: We especially like the hard crusted rolls, remind us of some of the meals we've had in France).

We ordered room service every day for breakfast and several days for lunch, what a pleasure to dine on the balcony of our mini-suite. If an item was not on the room service menu, we merely requested it and it was brought to the room.

I was awarded the 3rd place for the most travelled Princess passengers. We were invited to a lovely luncheon (for the most travelled Platinum members) with the Captain and Officers on Saturday. The 3 top most travelled were seated with the Captain, who was very gracious. I had sailed with him on the Crown Princess and we recanted stories of that trip, including my wheelchair incident.

Debarkation was very smooth and Delta had a separate check-in area for cruise passengers with luggage tags, etc already done up. Really expedited things.

One of the Sr. Assistant Cruise Directors was an old friend, who just happened to call two weeks ago and left a message. He had no idea I was coming on board, I casually strolled up to him as he was preparing for sail-away and chatting with other Cruise Staff. He just turned his head and said hi and turned back to the others, then his mouth dropped open and he turned and said 'what are you doing here?', to which I replied 'I just wanted to make sure you knew we got your message'. It was a great joy to catch up with him.

Cruise director Tim is outstanding and has the cruise staff busy, if not running trivia, etc, making themselves visible with the passengers. Their attitudes were friendly and amiable, much unlike those on the Golden last month.

Countdown to the Regal Princess 1/8/2003 !

My opinions....CruiseAholic

Tropicale Jan-87
Holiday Jan-88
Celebration Jan-89
Jubilee Jan-90
Sovereign of the Seas Jan-91
Song of Norway Jan-92
Monarch of the Seas Jan-93
Ocean Breeze Jan-94
Ocean Breeze Jan-94
Sovereign of the Seas Jan-95
Fascination Jan-96
Sun Princess May-96
Leeward Nov-96
Legend of the Seas Jan-97
Royal Princess May-97
Westerdam Nov-97
Dawn Princess Jan-98
Royal Princess May-98
Horizon Aug-98
Century Nov-98
Sea Princess Dec-98
Mercury Jan-99
Grand Princess Jan-99
Ecstasy Apr-99
Regal Empress Jun-99
Vision of the Seas Jun-99
Grand Princess Jul-99
Pacific Princess Aug-99
Triumph Sep-99
Dawn Princess Nov-99
Norway Dec-99
Grand Princess Jan-00
Magic Feb-00
Magic May-00
Ocean Princess Jun-00
Pacific Princess Jul-00
Crown Princess Aug-00
Sun Princess Nov-00
Sea Princess Jan-01
Millennium Feb-01
Imagination May-01
Victory Jun-01
Millennium Aug-01
Mississippi Queen Oct-01
Grand Princess Nov-01
Nordic Empress Dec-01
Dawn Princess Jan-02
Mercury Mar-02
Summit May-02
Star Princess Aug-02
Golden Princess Oct-02
Grand Princess Nov-02
Old 12-02-2002, 12:04 PM

Just home fom a great week, my 5th time on the Grand.

I do believe that she could use some general sprucing up, the kind that a dry or wet dock would do. The crew were sanitizing her constantly, they could be seen spraying and wiping down walls, railings, etc all the time. I especially noticed this on the deck chairs.

Our service in the dining room (traditional seating, late) was outstanding as was the food. One must remember that food opinions are subjective, what one passenger feels is excellent is deemed horrible by another passenger. (NOTE: We especially like the hard crusted rolls, remind us of some of the meals we've had in France).

We ordered room service every day for breakfast and several days for lunch, what a pleasure to dine on the balcony of our mini-suite. If an item was not on the room service menu, we merely requested it and it was brought to the room.

I was awarded the 3rd place for the most travelled Princess passengers. We were invited to a lovely luncheon (for the most travelled Platinum members) with the Captain and Officers on Saturday. The 3 top most travelled were seated with the Captain, who was very gracious. I had sailed with him on the Crown Princess and we recanted stories of that trip, including my wheelchair incident.

Debarkation was very smooth and Delta had a separate check-in area for cruise passengers with luggage tags, etc already done up. Really expedited things.

One of the Sr. Assistant Cruise Directors was an old friend, who just happened to call two weeks ago and left a message. He had no idea I was coming on board, I casually strolled up to him as he was preparing for sail-away and chatting with other Cruise Staff. He just turned his head and said hi and turned back to the others, then his mouth dropped open and he turned and said 'what are you doing here?', to which I replied 'I just wanted to make sure you knew we got your message'. It was a great joy to catch up with him.

Cruise director Tim is outstanding and has the cruise staff busy, if not running trivia, etc, making themselves visible with the passengers. Their attitudes were friendly and amiable, much unlike those on the Golden last month.

Countdown to the Regal Princess 1/8/2003 !

My opinions....CruiseAholic

Tropicale Jan-87
Holiday Jan-88
Celebration Jan-89
Jubilee Jan-90
Sovereign of the Seas Jan-91
Song of Norway Jan-92
Monarch of the Seas Jan-93
Ocean Breeze Jan-94
Ocean Breeze Jan-94
Sovereign of the Seas Jan-95
Fascination Jan-96
Sun Princess May-96
Leeward Nov-96
Legend of the Seas Jan-97
Royal Princess May-97
Westerdam Nov-97
Dawn Princess Jan-98
Royal Princess May-98
Horizon Aug-98
Century Nov-98
Sea Princess Dec-98
Mercury Jan-99
Grand Princess Jan-99
Ecstasy Apr-99
Regal Empress Jun-99
Vision of the Seas Jun-99
Grand Princess Jul-99
Pacific Princess Aug-99
Triumph Sep-99
Dawn Princess Nov-99
Norway Dec-99
Grand Princess Jan-00
Magic Feb-00
Magic May-00
Ocean Princess Jun-00
Pacific Princess Jul-00
Crown Princess Aug-00
Sun Princess Nov-00
Sea Princess Jan-01
Millennium Feb-01
Imagination May-01
Victory Jun-01
Millennium Aug-01
Mississippi Queen Oct-01
Grand Princess Nov-01
Nordic Empress Dec-01
Dawn Princess Jan-02
Mercury Mar-02
Summit May-02
Star Princess Aug-02
Golden Princess Oct-02
Grand Princess Nov-02
Old 12-31-2002, 05:23 AM

Was that sr. asst. cruise director named Frankie?

What is your general opinion about the individual cruise lines you have used.
Old 12-31-2002, 09:54 AM

When looking at a cruise, I look at Princess first, they are my favorite line, closely followed by Celebrity.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:39 PM

Wow -- that's a lot of cruises. I'm getting nervous now, I'm about to go on my first cruise and I'm afraid I'll become so addicted that my life's purpose will be to make enough money to go on my next cruise. Although now that I think about it, that doesn't seem a bad way to live...

Question for you -- I see that you sailed on the Summit earlier this year -- how did you enjoy it? That's the boat hubby and I are heading to in ONE WEEK! Any tips to maximize enjoyment of this boat?

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2003, 05:10 AM

I enjoyed the Summit very much, have also been on the Millennium two times. They are a lovely class of ship, great deck space and extremely nice rooms. You'll enjoy it very much.
Old 02-23-2003, 04:19 PM

Hi cruiseaholic your cathing up to us with your cruises . I am booked for the Zuiderdam for august, 59th for us . And now that the Grand Princess will be staying in the Caribbean it looks like it will be back to back cruises this year . We love the Grand last summer . First time on Pricess but we are past passgers from Sitmar . You know i think the Grand class of Princess ships fit the Caribbean market the best !! .I liked it much better then the Voyager of the seas witch we loved . We got such a great deal on a Verandah cabin on the Zuiderdam and we love HAL .And i.m only 46 . But i think Princess dosen"t do one thing great but everything very good !!
Mr Veendam

IT'S GOOD TO BE ON A WELL RUN SHIP !!!
Old 02-24-2003, 02:19 PM

Hi CruiseAholic,
Enjoyed reading about Grand. Nice review. Will you have a chance to tell us about the Regal from
January 8?
One thing cought my eye, your wheelchair incident on Crown princess. No, I am not an attorney... I am interested what all CAN happen, since my wife is in the WC.
Both of us, like you, first look up what Princess has to offer before we book with others. In fact, we liked Grand so much (our
2001 Christmas cruise), that I tried to book a
Transatlantic from London to NYC on Grand,this year, but found out that it will be Golden instead. Our last, on Summit, 11 days,both of us
think it was perfect, so Celebrity will be our another choice from now on.
Thanks again for a nice report.

Closed Thread

Tags
assistant, countdown, cruise, director, frankie, grand, luncheon, princess, travelled