Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2007, 02:39 PM

Yes it is true that cruisers outwith the US, Canada and the UK cannot join the Captains Circle. There is no doubt that it is unfair. After 3 cruises with Princess - another just about to start and a fifth already booked - we are pushing for recognition. The reason for the exclusion has never been explained. To get your invite to the Captains Circle cocktail party visit the Captains Circle desk on the ship as soon as it opens and explain the situation giving the numbers, dates and ships of your previous cruises. You should now get your card reissued in the correct colour and you will also recieve and invitation to the party. It should not be necessary to do this, but at least you will not feel quite so excluded.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:32 PM

Following the argument of this thread, would it not also be discriminatory to offer residents of different states different rates. Most cruise lines offer regional promotions. Live in MO or WI and your rate may be lower than residents of TX or MS. That's why when you call to book your cruise they always ask where you live even if you're not booking air.

Cheers, Neil
Old 04-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Administrator

As Jimmy Carter once said to someone who was complaining: "there are many things in life that are not fair".

We can stomp around and be bitter about it or we can move on and accept that some things will not go our way. I learned long ago that the only person losing sleep over my being offended was me.

The OP complains about having to fly so far to board a cruise. Well, the same holds true for those of us who want to visit Australia and live half a world away.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Well said, Dave;

I didn't exactly like the 13 hour flight each way in coach, but that's not what comes to mind when I think about my wonderful cruise from Auckland to Sydney a few years ago.

Rick
Old 04-24-2007, 06:23 AM

This is not a racial matter. At all. The OP is making a mighty mountain from a mole hill.

It is purely a matter of a company operating in different international markets.

It would be just as ridiculous if I was to claim that I was being discriminated against, because I live in the UK and cannot have a BBQ on the beach on Christmas Day.

Just a drive by poster with a chip on his shoulder.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:56 AM

Ok maybe the original poster wasn't very eloquent but when you look at what it boils down too... He does have a point

Why are passengers from other parts of world different to US & Canadian passengers. Why exclude every other nationality from the Captains Circle which is a programme meant to aknowlegde and "reward" repeat passengers. By the way I had a look - no EU country nor the Aussies have legislation in place not allowing it. The question remains why exclude them???

Now many of you say the perks are not worth it so I went over and had alooked at what our Auzzie friend was missing out on and the list is long!!!

It starts with little things like the onboard host and events but the more cruises he has done the worse it get gets...
The Internet packages, Members lounge, Priority Tenders, Priority disembarkation, Comp. Laundry and Dry cleaning services, Bar set ups, afternoon tea in the cabin.....and the list does go on.

Now bearing in mind that the rest of the world when not flying via the US is down to 20 Kg / 40 pounds of luggage ONLY in cattle class - that makes the laundry and dry cleaning part a very valuable perk!!!
Old 04-24-2007, 07:25 AM

I honestly do hope that Princess is looking in on the thread because they stand nothing to gain for exclusion and customer loyalty to win, for inclusion. It is simply good business.

Imagine if cruise lines went the way of airlines? Sail away buffet...$ 7.00, make up your own room etc. No one will would sail!
Old 04-24-2007, 12:10 PM
I agree with you Ken. After looking closer at the perks, most of them are services that don't add substantially to operating expenses; the exceptions being the one-time mini-bar set-up and the comp. wine tasting. And how much could these cost relative to the good will they would create.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:34 PM

I agree, we haven't hit the Elite status and I haven't used any of the perks for Platinum. I am sure there are others that don't use them as well, these surely could be extended to all markets and not cost them a whole lot while earning them a loyal crowd.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:35 PM

Case in point. I attended an annual meeting of my credit union last night for which they provide better than average pizza a beverage and ice cream. If you sit through the meeting you hear boring speakers and a lot of Robert's rules but they keep you there with incentives.

Throughout the evening, they drew numbers for tickets they had given upon entrance. They drew the first number and taped it to the podium in an envelope which at the end of the evening would be opened and the winning number would receive $ 500 in cash. The remainder of a total of 50 numbers drawn would get a crisp 50 dollar bill.

A small price to pay for loyalty among their 13,000 members or at least the 600 or so who attended. I had the good fortune of walking out with a $50!

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cruise, cruiseers, cruises, cruiseshipsracialdiscrimination, descrimination, discrimination, gross, lines, princess, race, racial, ships