Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2007, 07:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by moeve:
Ok maybe the original poster wasn't very eloquent but when you look at what it boils down too... He does have a point

Why are passengers from other parts of world different to US & Canadian passengers. Why exclude every other nationality from the Captains Circle which is a programme meant to aknowlegde and "reward" repeat passengers. By the way I had a look - no EU country nor the Aussies have legislation in place not allowing it. The question remains why exclude them???

Now many of you say the perks are not worth it so I went over and had alooked at what our Auzzie friend was missing out on and the list is long!!!

It starts with little things like the onboard host and events but the more cruises he has done the worse it get gets...
The Internet packages, Members lounge, Priority Tenders, Priority disembarkation, Comp. Laundry and Dry cleaning services, Bar set ups, afternoon tea in the cabin.....and the list does go on.

Now bearing in mind that the rest of the world when not flying via the US is down to 20 Kg / 40 pounds of luggage ONLY in cattle class - that makes the laundry and dry cleaning part a very valuable perk!!!

Princess operates in Australia with co-operation of sister company P&O Australia, to the extent of sharing Pacific Princess and in future, Sun Princess.

My family is booked on Sun Princess for a P&O hosted Pacific cruise this December and I also do not agree with not being able to gain Captains Circle perks, but can't see how it is racial discrimination. (European descended Aussies can't get CC either)

If Ford US was offering a years free fuel, Ford Australia would have no obligation to do the same. It is purely marketing, and I seriously doubt that there is an Aboriginal connection with the OP.

I think Princess would like to extend Captains Circle in OZ, but as P&O do not offer the same incentives, they are unlikely to allow Princess to offer a better deal in the OZ market.
This may be illegal here though, as it may be seen as an anti-competitive operation.

Create yours at BlingyBlob.com!
Old 05-07-2007, 08:04 AM

Polygon żour Ford example doesn't really fit... I see you did read the part about where I say the original poster was not particularly eloquent but that what he was trying to say did in fact matter - he just got his terms mixed up..

Princess (and all the others for that matter) are selling the SAME cabins , the SAME Itins on the SAME ships, on the SAME cruises so WHY treat other nationalities differently?

To the copereation with P&O that doesn't matter who sells princess cruises down under if the original poster is a repeat princess passenger he should be treated as such and have privy to the same perks as US passengers.

This cruiseline (since it is one of the few if not the last) who extend their repeat passenger programme only to US passenger has not had the decency to come out and say why. Just about all the others (even most of the other Carnival Corporation lines have opened their programmes why not Princess??)

As to it being illegal that is B++l because the repeaters club does not reduces cruise priceing significantly but rather offers onboard perks that get better (OK that is debateable) the higher up you get. If your statement were to be correct (which it is not according to an Auz Attorney friend) Quantas would also not be allowed to have a FF Programe (since this is governed by the same laws)
Old 05-07-2007, 08:37 AM

Baby Doll all power to you your double entendre was inspiring, his repost about tongue in cheeks was weak, bye the by tampon who,s cheeks is your tongue between firmly or otherwise now let me guess
quote:
Originally posted by baby doll:
TamponMan..opps I mean TarponMan that is rude and you don't sound like a cruiser at all b/c a true cruiser would not ever say anything like that....go back under the rock you came out from under
Old 05-07-2007, 08:56 AM

That only occurs if you book through a uk site if you book through Carnival in Miami and I am just looking at my latest invoice for a cat 11 at $2438 divided by 1.95 to the pound makes it cheap as Chips (french fries) Discrimination fall into 2 catagories direct or indirect,if a person with or without knowledge treats a person in an inferior way compared to the norm then you have discrimination
quote:
Chef Ken - I am sorry but not allowing certain nationalities to take part, in free of charge, programmes aimed at rewarding faithful repeat clients IS discriminating!

To add insult very often these countries where cruising may not be as popular as in the US get hit a second time as cruiselines take a cut off the foreign exchange too.

Lets take cruisers from the UK for example. The GBP hit 2 USD today... Now you are paying 1.000 USD for a cruise, a cruiser from the UK won't be paying 500 GBP but rather 600 maybe even 800 GBP for exactly the same cabin!!

Now our poster from downunder gets nailed even worse - not only does he get to pay a premium, he has to fly forever to even get to the cruise but he doesn't get the little things you do as member of the Repeaters Club.

It may be legal but I bet it would upset you too if it applied to you.

Cruiselines are looking to expand their markets so they need to look at their incentives too.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steve elster:
Discrimination fall into 2 catagories direct or indirect,if a person with or without knowledge treats a person in an inferior way compared to the norm then you have discrimination

Steve, I am curious, how do you treat someone in an inferior way without knowing it? To discriminate is intentional, it comes from the word, "to make a distinction." That takes cognitive thought in my estimation.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:40 PM

[quote]Originally posted by moeve:
Polygon żour Ford example doesn't really fit... I see you did read the part about where I say the original poster was not particularly eloquent but that what he was trying to say did in fact matter - he just got his terms mixed up..

Princess (and all the others for that matter) are selling the SAME cabins , the SAME Itins on the SAME ships, on the SAME cruises so WHY treat other nationalities differently?

To the copereation with P&O that doesn't matter who sells princess cruises down under if the original poster is a repeat princess passenger he should be treated as such and have privy to the same perks as US passengers.
QUOTE]

Princess cruises that run from Sydney to Sydney are hosted by P&O, who have close to a monopoly with return cruises in OZ. If P&O do not want Captains Circle to be available to Australians, then Princess would have little say in it.
Sapphire Princess has recently cruised in and around OZ, and it seems these have some competition with itineries from Statendam and Mercury later this year. When Princess and P&O see some real competition from these, then hopefully they will see a need to provide a loyalty program here. Don't need to provide incentives as much when you have a monopoly.

Ford example was lame, but just to clarify that no discrimination existed. I know you understood this already, but there others with a different opinion on this thread.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:20 PM

Its very simple it is a action that you do,out of ignorance of the law in place, and therefore has no defence,within the uk for instance it is illegal to refuse accomodation in a Hotel because of the sexual proclivity of the guests,a new law,so claiming ignorance of it is no defence, you have discriminated because you have not offered equal service Kalo Taxidi
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Ken:
quote:
Discrimination fall into 2 catagories direct or indirect,if a person with or without knowledge treats a person in an inferior way compared to the norm then you have discrimination

Steve, I am curious, how do you treat someone in an inferior way without knowing it? To discriminate is intentional, it comes from the word, "to make a distinction." That takes cognitive thought in my estimation.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:29 PM

Polygon I think the original poster did say he always had a long flight so I think one can safely say he is probably a true Princess cruiser (Caribb etc.) and not this P&O Auz auxillary.

As far as the Princess cruises with the down under Itins go they DO offer the CC perks to their US passengers there. Just go read some of the other sites where lots of US passengers post and you will see that.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:43 PM

Sorry I did not include an American example you should start with the 1964 civil rights law a good piece of legislation, not in the public domain, very frequently, also your fifth amendment that give you the right to refuse to answer a question that out of your ignorance of the law may incriminate you, the ACLU site is informative, glad to be of service Kalo Taxidi
quote:
Its very simple it is a action that you do,out of ignorance of the law in place, and therefore has no defence,within the uk for instance it is illegal to refuse accomodation in a Hotel because of the sexual proclivity of the guests,a new law,so claiming ignorance of it is no defence, you have discriminated because you have not offered equal service Kalo Taxidi
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Ken:
quote:

Old 05-08-2007, 12:41 AM

quote:

As to it being illegal that is B++l because the repeaters club does not reduces cruise priceing significantly but rather offers onboard perks that get better (OK that is debateable) the higher up you get. If your statement were to be correct (which it is not according to an Auz Attorney friend) Quantas would also not be allowed to have a FF Programe (since this is governed by the same laws)

I will accept that you know the correct legalities. I also believe it is wrong not to be offering CC to Aussies, but I believe they are not doing so because of a lack of competition in the Oz market.
Even though I think it is wrong, it is their choice as to who they market extra benefits to. As a consumer, I am limited with available cruise options in Australia, but if I want to do Alaska or Europe, Princess is less likely to get the sale if I am not rewarded for loyalty. Makes it easier for me to try out the competition.

The Qantas example is equally lame, as they have competition on most of their routes. The reason they have FF is so that you choose them as a carrier over the competition. P&O does not have any true competition for South West Pacific cruises. The FF program is not the anti-competitive part, the lack of competitors is. If Qantas had no competition on a route and decided not to offer FF points on that route, then your comparison would make sense.

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cruise, cruiseers, cruises, cruiseshipsracialdiscrimination, descrimination, discrimination, gross, lines, princess, race, racial, ships