Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2007, 04:06 PM

HI All,

I am very excitted to have booked a cruise to the Greek Isles a year from now on the Grand Princess. I currently have reserved a mini-suite on the Emerald Deck.

Am I correct that those typically are constructed in such way that nobody from above and look down into your balcony?

Does anyone have any good suggestions for excursions or independent tour operators for any of the ports on the cruise?

The cruise begins with an overnight in Venice, and leaves the next morning from Venice to cruise to the next stop. Do you think that I should get to Venice an additional day early so I can see more of the city?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:22 PM

Duplicate Post Deleted
Old 10-31-2007, 10:22 PM

[quote]Originally posted by Hank:
We know this ship very well having cruised on her 3 times with a 4th trip scheduled for April. Personally, we prefer (and actually love) the regular balcony cabins on the Caribe Deck (Categories BA and BB) because they are 1.5 times the size of other regular balconies and they are half covered and half in the open. When we are sitting in the open area of our Caribe Deck balcony we can look right down on the mini balconies below "D" deck. You have absolutely no privacy on those balconies. If you are on the Emerald you will be covered. I spend a lot of time helping folks with the European ports (we have been traveling in Europe for over 35 years) and would be happy to help if you post over on the European Port topic (than everyone can see and help). As to Venice, its a terrific tourist city (we will be cruising out of there (4th time) next October on the Emerald of the Seas)). Its worth spending 1 or 2 nights there in a hotel, but its very expensive. Also keep in mind that getting around Venice with luggage is a real hassle unless you want to spend a lot of money (about $120) to get a water taxi. There are stratagies for handling this port and lots of options for almost every port. Keep in mind that organized port tours (whether from the ship or private) are very expensive in Europe. Many ports can be handled on your own if you want to save money, but it takes some homework. Also keep in mind that you would need to change planes somewhere in Europe to fly to Venice which always increases the chances of luggage going astray. That is another good reason to fly-in a day or two early (lost luggage often catches-up the next day).

Hank
Old 11-01-2007, 09:32 AM

Thanks for your input Hank. I think we will stay with mini-suit and balcony on emerald rather than go up on deck to dolphin based on your suggestion.

Do you know if the mini-suites get any type of priority boarding when the ship is tendering in a port?
Old 11-05-2007, 08:44 AM
Princess policy for priority boarding when tendering is based on how many times you have cruised with the company, not on the type of cabin you have booked.

Need some cruise help?
Old 11-05-2007, 09:55 AM

I believe only those in the big suites (not the minis) get priority tendering. Also, if you are a Diamond Member (you get this on the 11th cruise) or DiamondPlus priorty tendering is one of the perks. Of course the best perk (IMHO) is that Diamond and above get to use the Concierge Lounge with its free cocktail hour every evening. This is probably the best perk offered by any cruise line (for those of us who drink).

Hank
Old 11-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Elite membership gets priorty tender embarkation. That is after 15 cruises or 150 days.

Need some cruise help?
Old 11-20-2007, 08:18 AM

Hi we are hoping to book similar cruise in sept -08. Will be very interested to follow your chat with others to get info. What islands do you stop at?
Old 11-24-2007, 10:47 AM

I would like to know more about advantages and disadvantages of a balcony room on the Grand Princess -- What about the Aloha and Baja decks - do they have privacy? Want to at least book BD level - is an upgrade worth it from that? Also in terms of which level is better for being away from noisy/busy decks. Is being higher generally better? Looking at Oct 2008. Also, what about side trips in Egypt and seeing the pyramids - any recommendations? I'm new to this site but will be checking back often. Have cruised a number of times on Princess but it's been many years. Thanks...
Old 11-24-2007, 11:22 AM

Also, on the Grand Princess for the Greek Isles cruise, is there a preferred side - port or starboard? What about a preferred room on the Baja or Aloha decks?

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, excursions, greek, isles, mediterranean, princess, reviews