Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2007, 07:36 PM

Hello everyone. We are booked for our first Star Princess cruise. I'd really appreciate any feedback on which deck is better. I've heard that the Caribe Deck has the largest balconies, but the Dolphin Deck has the largest staterooms plus the largest balconies. Is anyone familiar with the decks, staterooms, and balconies on the Star Princess? Thanks.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Hello LakeMan,
you heard correctly; of the ocean view double with balcony staterooms catagories BA and BB on Caribe deck have the largest balconies.
Dolphin deck is almost entirely mini-suites which are almost 50 sq.ft. larger including balcony.
I've been on both decks and much prefer the mini-suites. You have a larger bathroom with tub, more closet and storage space, sitting area and a larger balcony.
The deciding factor for me is length of the cruise; for 7 days I'm quite comfortable in the Caribe deck oceanview with balcony; any longer than 7 days I go for the mini-suite.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:35 AM
Administrator

I agree with f-mattox. On our last Princess cruise (on near-sister Diamond Princess), we had a BA cabin on Caribe Deck. I loved the balcony - it was quite spacious, and that it was also half covered/half open from above, we were able to enjoy both sun and shade.

A photo of our Caribe Deck BA cabin is HERE and one of our balcony is HERE.

Friends of ours on the same sailing had a mini-suite, and the amount of additional interior space is significant. They had a sitting area with sofa, second TV, and a lot of additional storage space.

IMO, you can't go wrong with either. I will say, though, that the larger balconies on Caribe Deck are well worth any difference in cost from balcony cabins on Aloha or Baja decks.

For what it's worth, we booked a mini-suite for our next Princess cruise -- but the main reason is that we found the BA a bit snug for our family of three (us + young teenager).
Old 01-20-2007, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Addendum to the post above:

In the photo showing the cabin, there is a whole area behind me that contains a large closet (runs almost the whole width of the cabin) and a small closet containing a safe. The rest of the cabin can be seen reflected in the mirror.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Good point about the Caribe deck balconies, LisaP;

since they are partially covered, you have sun, shade, AND more privacy than the mini-suite balconies, which are farther out and offer little shade of privacy.
This was not an issue for us because people were very respectful of our privacy, but I have seen others express some concern.
The mini-suite is still my first choice, no matter what.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:28 PM

I agree with all of the above comments but would like to add that it is mainly a matter of preference. We have been on 23 cruises ranging from 7 days to 34 days and have never felt the need to spend the extra money for a mini-suite.
Decide how much time you are going to spend in your room and what you want to spend your money on.

Yes Caribe balconies are larger and partially covered but this may not give you shade or sun when you desire it because that depends on the time of day and which direction the ship is facing in relationship to the rising or setting sun. You will have no shade when the sun is low and your balcony faces west.

As far as privacy even on a totally covered balcony you will not have 100% privacy.

Future cruises:
Star Princess - Dec. 2007-Rome- TA
Crown Princess- May 2008 TA & Baltics
Pacific Princess-Nov. 2008-Holy Land & Egypt
Diamond Princess- Apr. 2009 Asia- Bangkok to Whittier
Past cruises:
Golden Princess-2007-Alaska
Sea Princess-2005 Canada/New England
Diamond Princess- 2005 Mexican Riviera
Star Princess- 2004 x2 Med. Venice to Barcelona/ Barcelona to Rome
Dawn Princess - 2004 x3- Southern Caribbean
Grand Princess- 2003 x2 W.Caribbean/ 2004 Panama
Sun Princess- 2003 Mexico
Tahitian Princess- 2003 Tahiti & Cook Islands
Royal Princess- 2003 x2- British Isles / Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
Island Princess- 2003 Panama Canal / 2007 Hawaii
Sky Princess- 2000 China & Orient
Sitmar's Fairwind - 1979 x2- Caribbean/Panama Canal
-------------------------------------------------
HAL-Amsterdam- 2004 Alaska
HAL Ryndam - 2001 x 2- S. America
------------------------------------------
Viking Spirit/Pride -2006 Budapest to Amsterdam

Closed Thread

Tags
ba, balconies, balcony, cabin, cabins, caribe, covered, deck, diamond, dolphin, extra, location, money, partially, princess, review, star, worth