Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Banned

We are leaving for Alaska on May 31st on the Dawn Princess. Can anyone give me a current review of the ship and what to expect. When was the last time it was rennovated? I'm seeing conflicting reviews of the condition of the ship.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:27 PM

It's not too current, we were on her 3 years ago. She was immaculate, the crew was great, the food was wonderful. Hopefully, someone has been on her more recently. Last year we were on the Sea.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:33 PM

I was on her last September. Crew was always doing painting and upkeep. Rooms etc clean I saw no major problems its a older ship but I would say well maintained.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Banned

Thanks, this is my husband's first cruise and I want to make sure he enjoys it. I've been on two other hot weather cruises, this will be my first cooler weather cruise. I'm not sure how to pack for this one. I want to bring spring-like clothes to wear on the ship, but I'm afraid I will be cold all of the time. Any tips for dressing during the day on the ship?
Old 05-19-2007, 03:35 PM

There are two keys to packing for Alaska. The first is layers, bring lots of layered clothing so you can add and remove as needed. At night on the decks or balcony you'll need extra layers.

Second, be sure you have a wind and water repellent outer layer with a hood. Like a wind breaker but get on about 4 sizes too big so you can put it on over a heavy coat/parka, etc. if needed. The Pacific N.W. can be fickle and a daily shower or constanty mist or drizzle is not uncommon. Staying dry is the key to staying comfortable. The winds and temperatures at night can be uncomfortable at best if your wardrobe is not appropriate. May and September being the start and end of the season, it's cloder then than the rest of the season. The temps may be low 40's but it feels like 20's when the ship is cruising and the wind blowing.

Have a great time!

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-19-2007, 03:49 PM
Banned

Thanks Neil,

I think I'll stick with the warmer clothes and be safe! I can hardly wait to see the beauty of Alaska. I'm hoping to see whales, wolves and bear, but I'm not sure that will happen on our trip. We are leaving out of San Francisco and sailing up to Sitka. I have us pre-reserved on the helicopter Mendenhall glacier and summer dog sled camp. 12 days and counting, I can hardly wait!

Closed Thread

Tags
dawn, princess