Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2007, 08:20 PM

Hi Everyone,
My Husband and I just returned from our Baltic cruise on the Sea Princess a few weeks ago. We had a wonderful time in London, Amsterdam, Copenhagen and Oslo. The ship was also scheduled to go to Sweden but waters were rough and we were unable to tender from the boat (I think that is what it was called!) So here is my question.. can we ask for any credit or reimbursement from Princess cruises? I realize that Princess can't control the weather and was looking out for the passengers safety. I was bummed because the day it happened, it was our 10 year anniversary. My Husband had planned a surprise romantic picnic at Hamlet's castle (A shocker in itself because he is NOT the romantic type!) It was a 7 day cruise and 4 of them ended up being days at sea. The Sea Princess was okay.. but frankly, I was a little bored by the second sea day. One of our table mates mententioned on a past cruise, the ship she was on was unable to tender and ported at another island instead. Is this common? I assume with all the the ships and cruise lines out there there is a very tight schedule/ restrictions on availability of ports. Just wondered if any of you experienced cruisers knew if any credit was given for missed ports.
Thanks!
Krysta
Old 08-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Krysta, you would get a refund for any shore excursions you booked and were not able take because the ship missed the port; but I am not aware of anyone ever getting a credit or rebate just because a port was missed. A couple of times a free "happy hour" was provided as consolation.

I wouldn't say substituting one port for another is common, but it does happen and is usually weather related. But anything the Captain does in the interest of passenger safety is fine with me.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Oh, and I just conferred on myself the unofficial title of Guru x 2.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:45 PM

I find it unusual you didn't receive some type of credit to your onboard account. This credit is usually equivalent to the amount of pro-rated port fees that would have been charged by the missed port.
Substituting a different port would be dependent on a lot of variables. I think it would be much harder up in the Baltic.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:55 PM

Cruise fanatic- who would I contact regarding reimbursement? We were only reimbursed for the excursions we missed.
Thanks,
K
Old 08-05-2007, 12:29 PM

You could try contacting Guest/Customer relations. Mind you, it isn't a significant amount if anything.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:46 PM

Krysta, all cruise ticket contracts clearly state that the cruise line, at its discretion, can change the order or ports visited, or eliminate port stops altogether, if circumstances dictate. As you stated, they do it for the safety and comfort of the passengers and well being of the ship. They never say they'll compensate you for a missed port. After all, if you spent the day onboard the ship instead of on land, you're eating an extra meal or five onboard, still using the ship's facilities, etc. I've never actually heard of anyone getting back the port fees they paid for one specific port.

That being said, some cruise lines do offer some sort of compensation as a good will measure, to keep people from being too disappointed and wrongly blaming the cruise line for something that was not within the cruise line's control. I once had a group on a Costa cruise to Greece. When we landed in Rome to make a connecting flight to Venice, we were met by a Costa rep who told us our ship's propeller had gotten tangled in a fishing net and had broken, and the ship would be leaving Venice a day later than expected. Because of this, Rhodes was being eliminated from the itinerary. Now arguably, this was the Captain's ultimate responsibility and fault. Costa put us up in Rome for a night with dinner, then flew us to Venice the following day, and refunded about almost 50% of the cruise fare to everyone.

I suspect that, had we missed Rhodes because of bad weather or whatever, we'd have been happy with an open bar for an hour as compensation...

Sandy
Old 08-06-2007, 06:54 AM

We missed Grand Cayman due to weather on a Princess cruise and received no compensation, so I wouldn't be looking for anything special. I don't remember even getting a free drink, but I sure enjoyed the extra sea day!
Old 08-06-2007, 07:33 AM

Sandy,
I guess I've been lucky. On any cruise I've been on that missed a port they gave us onboard credit. But as I said it really is minimal. Probably not worth the energy of writing a letter to the cruise line. And each cruise line will handle things differently.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:11 AM

Hi. When we were on the Sun Princess in the Caribbean we were late leaving the St. Thomas port. Princess had scheduled that day a back up electrical test, part of routine maintenance, which failed. They could not restore the power immediately and thus we were late leaving port by about 6 hours. (The dining room was shut down for first dinner seating and wasn't opened till 9pm but cold sandwiches etc were offered in the buffet) As a result we missed our next port call in Martinique and went to St Martin instead. We received a very nice letter of apology from the captain and each passenger received a $75 shipboard credit ($150 per cabin) by way of compensation. I have been on 12 Princess cruises and have never had this happen before. It was greatly appreciated. In talking with other passengers we found it is indeed rare to get a shipboard credit for a missed port of call. It was probably the inconvenience of the main dining room being closed for part of the evening combined with the missed port of call that lead to this decision.

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, carnival, credit, cruise, flight, line, miss, missed, missing, port, ports, princess, reimbursement, royal, stop