Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2002, 09:21 AM

My clients want to sail Princess to Alaska but are very casual folks and do not want to pack a suit (a couple of them don't even own a sport coat.) Will they be able to get away with dress casual (i.e. sweaters, khakis, etc.) for dinner if they choose personal choice dining instead of traditional seating?
Karen [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2002, 09:21 AM

My clients want to sail Princess to Alaska but are very casual folks and do not want to pack a suit (a couple of them don't even own a sport coat.) Will they be able to get away with dress casual (i.e. sweaters, khakis, etc.) for dinner if they choose personal choice dining instead of traditional seating?
Karen [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2002, 10:41 AM

Yes. Cruiseman
Old 09-18-2002, 10:43 AM

Addendum: Assuming of course that they will not want to dine in a formal setting. Cruiseman
Old 09-18-2002, 11:30 AM

Thanks, Cruiseman! I suspected so, and recommended personal choice dining to them because of it. Anyone else have an opinion?
Karen
Old 09-18-2002, 12:09 PM

The Personal Choice dining room has the same dress code as traditional on Princess even in Alaska. There are alternative dining options on Princess that are more casual.

In other words if it is formal night in the traditional dining room it is considered formal in the Personal Choice dining room. Will they be kept from eating in the dining room for Khakis and sweaters? No I doubt it I have seen people in casual clothes in the dining room on formal nights.
Old 09-18-2002, 12:14 PM

Hi Karen!
While I haven't experienced personal choice dining before(we will in November)it's my understanding that looking on the Princess site, that the personal choice dining room maintains the same dress code, and it's the alternative dining (Lido Buffet) that you can go to as casual. If they really want that casual and willing to accept it, that's fine. What they will miss out on is the terrific food that Princess offers in the dining room and not getting it in the buffet.
Old 09-18-2002, 06:37 PM

Thanks, Sue, cruiseman & PEB - have also heard from some other folks on the subject. Apparently AK cruises tend to be a little more informal than Caribbean (probably from the emphasis on nature & wilderness that surrounds you on an Alaska cruise.) We'll work it out!
Karen [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2002, 06:33 AM

Karen I have sailed Alaska 4 times so far and I did not find it any less formal than sailing through the Panama Canal or sailing Hawaii. I am not sure how people figure it is less formal than the Caribbean. I did not see any less tuxedos or formal gowns than I did on the Mercury through the Canal.

The one thing you do see different is during the day. You will not see all the shorts and swim suits. Of course if you are like me and from the cold country you will see us in shorts and swim suits LOL.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:42 AM

Right on about the shorts! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Thanks again - will keep that in mind. I did hear from one person who said on their cruise it was less formal, but maybe that was an aberration?
Karen

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, alaskacruisescom, attire, casual, code, cruise, cruises, dining, dress, dressing, forum, line, princess, real, room, senior