Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2007, 03:22 PM

Island Princess Panama Canal transit. Is there a shore excursion which tracks the ship through the canal. Would you advise getting off the ship and filming her going through or stay on board for the transit experience
Old 08-05-2007, 04:38 PM
Hello patsy; I have not started looking at shore excursions yet but I have heard there are some that follow the ship through the Canal. But my initial reaction is, I booked the cruise to sail through the Panama Canal, not to watch my ship sail through the Panama Canal without me. There will be plenty of photo ops of ships going the other direction.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:55 PM
I don't think you actually can get off so you will be doing the photos on the ship
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 08-05-2007, 06:44 PM
patsy, I just checked Princess' website and it seems the excursions at and around the Canal are for the itineraries that only do a partial Canal Transit. There are two train excursions and a tour boat that actually goes through some locks, and then returns you to your ship by bus.

But you are doing a full transit and will not have time for excursions at the Canal, if I am understanding the site correctly. And why would you want to--you will have the best seat in the house.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:51 AM

Thanks for the info - my hubbie thinks the same, why get off the ship, so I guess we'll stay on board and experience it from our balcony.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:19 AM

I just took the Sun Princess through the Canal in April 2007 and they let the film crew off on all three sets of locks to film the ships passage through. You can then buy the video for $20. It not only included the transit of the Canal, but just about all the events on the ship. Well worth it!!
Old 08-13-2007, 01:06 PM

We went through the canal on Coral Princess in the spring. It is a truely fantastic trip.
The ship's photographers also take still photographs of the passengers from the shore while the ship is going through the locks, so you will be able to buy one of those. Make sure you wave to get noticed. We didn't spend all the time on our balcony, but moved around the ship to experience different views.
Wish we going again! Have a great cruise!

Closed Thread

Tags
cabins, canal, celebrity, cruises, deck, excursion, excursions, ha, lido, panama, princess, railroad, reviews, sapphire, shore