Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2008, 08:18 PM

Hi,
My husband and I and two kids(12 & 14 )are booked on the Golden Princess inside passage to Alaska on May 17 and are wondering about excursions. We are all quite active and are interested in wildlife(whales, moose, bears)We live in CA near the ocean. We'd like to see the things unique to Alaska. We were hoping for some feedback about good excursions and one's not worth bothering with. The zip line looks fun but is it worth the $$? Are there any trips that are "must dos" and could people recommend their favorites and any bad experiences.
Thanks,
Julie
Old 03-26-2008, 08:41 PM
In Skagway...The White Pass Railroad trip is, to me, a must do....it combines scenery with history....expensive, but well worth it...I've done it 2 times and would do it again....In Juneau, I would go to see the Mendenhall Glacier...it's right there in front of you and there is a great walking path to get different angles...plus there is a great information building there....In Ketchikan..I've done the walk around town and my second trip there, I did the Cultural tour and Totem Village...more authentic Alaska culture and history....Just being in Alaska is almost like a religious experience...something you and your children will remember forever....Enjoy one of the last frontiers....Happy Sailing...

Bob E
Old 03-27-2008, 08:55 AM

Thanks for the input! My whole family, a group of about 18 people are going on the cruise. We all started looking at the different excursions and it made our heads spin. There are so many excursions at each port! Most of us are first time cruisers and have so many questions.
thanks,
Julie
Old 03-27-2008, 10:57 AM
Hi JulieP, and welcome to cruise-chat;

just a couple of tips on booking shore excursions: try to reach your decisions as soon as possible and then book online; a lot of tours fill up early and online you will know how many spaces are available and you will get your confirmation in real-time.

Also, have one person reserve the number of spaces you want for a particular tour, don't have everybody reserve his own. There could be many buses for some tours and by one person reserving, you will all be together.

This all assumes, of course, that you are booking your tours through Princess; you may also want to explore booking your own excursions, which can be done online also; this would take some research.

Have a great cruise.

Rick
Old 03-27-2008, 12:45 PM

Thanks for the tip Rick. I'm not sure how we are going to organize shore excursions as a whole group. We all have different interests and it might be nice to have a little break from each other, if you know what I mean. We may have small groups do things together. We just booked the cruise on Monday and haven't received our booking # yet so I can't book excursions yet. I've read through about 20 pgs of posts on here and learned alot, but any other tips are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Julie
Old 03-27-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
We just booked the cruise on Monday and haven't received our booking # yet so I can't book excursions yet.
I'm not sure why you don't have your booking number yet, unless the travel agent took all your information but hasn't actually made the room reservations yet.

Sandy
Old 03-27-2008, 03:28 PM

Why don't the group of you consider chartering a small boat from Juneau to do some wildlife watching. We did it and it was fantastic!
Old 03-28-2008, 11:48 AM

We also did the float plane in Ketchican and it was wonderful to fly over the mountains, ice and snow. The pilots are expert and the knowledge about the areas is very interesting and amazing. Our freinds did the helecoptor and landed on the ice, but was half frozen by the time the helecopter came back to pick them up.

Emerald Princess-11/30/08
Celebrity Century-1/8/09

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, alaskan, cheap, cruise, cruises, excursion, excursions, excusions, good, inside, kids, passage, princess, reviews, teenagers