Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > River Boat Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2011, 08:36 AM

Question Anyone done a AMA cruise from Prague to Budapest??
Have hold on one in May 2o12,but have never been on this line before.Seems to have good reviews on its website and when googled,but any first hand info and details of itinerary would be appreciated.
Thanks Cruise Reviews for inc.this river cruise area.
Have cruised on Avalon,Viking,Uniworld,and Gate 1...can help with those lines,,Did Russia,Egypt,Germany,Portugal,France,etc..ask away...
Old 09-30-2011, 12:53 PM

I did a Tulip River Cruise with AMA Waterways back in April. I found them to be comparable to Avalon. I did a Prague to Vienna Danube Christmas Market Cruise in 2009. I loved the ports of call. Nuremberg, Passau, Durnstein, Regensburg all wonderful stops. In Austria you'll sail through the Wauchau wine valley. The whole route in Bavaria country is beautiful.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:51 AM

Question Thanks,,and sort of hoped the new AMA ships
will be a little more upscale than Avalon...booked the 2 balcony rooms,with French and small regular one. This one is supposed to offer 3 different dining areas,which should be a nice option..We do go to Regensberg,,have been to Nuremberg.Sadly,have bad memories of it simply because we were late getting to ship,,,a LONG story,and got lost and almost,,,literally, "missed the boat",haha.Was the food and wine similar too? and excursions?
Old 10-01-2011, 09:59 AM

Yes, I felt the food on AMA was similar to Avalon. My Avalon cruise was on the Avalon Tranquility built in 2007 and the AMA was on the AMADagio built in 2006. If it weren't for the names these ships are very similar. Comparing these two ships I give the edge to Avalon in the bathroom being larger and the cabin being a hair larger. Comparing these two cruises I also give the edge to Avalon for the entertainment. However; I have to say it could have been the time of year I traveled. My Avalon was a Christmas Market cruise which they had some very special Christmas entertainment with Kris Kringle and a German One man band. Traveling through Bavaria wine country Avalon brought on local winery people and we had a Bavarian wine tasting night. On another night we had Bavarian beer tasting.

I will be trying out Uniworld next in December with another Christmas Market Cruise. Their decor does look more upscale. However; they are owned by Travcorp, which owns the Red Carnation luxury hotels. Uniworld ships take their decor from the Red Carnation brand.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:41 AM

Thumbs up Another thing,,have noticed big difference between
2 ships in same line...seems to depend on age of ship,,personell for THAT particular cruise,,and itinerary itself...like Egypt and Russia esp...seemed VERY different than others in all above respects..so have to learn to be flexible...and not ASSUME it will be just like LAST one..
That being said,,loved Uniworld,,esp..in Portugal..but area GREAT,ship staff fantastic,and food superb...so have fun at xmas..have never been on river cruise in cold months. You must really have to bundle up to sit on top deck.I moved from Michigan to Florida to avoid being cold,,,and hate to leave my warm weather down here at that time.Like to travel in summer to avoid the HEAT>>>hahaha..
Old 10-02-2011, 08:29 AM

With a few exceptions, all the river boats doing Russia, Ukraine, etc are Russian boats that tend to be sparse. I know a couple about to leave on a Viking River cruise in the Ukraine, and their boat is nothing like the Viking River boat I cruised in France. So you're right that boats on the same cruise line can vary, depending on the factors you mentioned but also where the boat cruises and the regulations in that part of the world.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:11 AM

Smile Just an update,,,booked AMA cruise
to Prague,,etc..as posted,,,and now decided,,,to put hold on next Dec...on new ship AMA Lotus to Vietnam and Cambodia....sounds like a real adventure,,,anyone been?? Not in army,,hahaha,,sorry...
Leaving in Am for Regent to Caribbean,,,,then AMA in May,,,now another next yr...
This cruising thing is FUN>>>>>
Old 12-16-2011, 02:42 PM
Administrator

I was just about to post that my aunt and uncle just returned from a river cruise that I believe went from Prague to Budapest. I don't know the line.

I suggest you start a new thread with your new booked cruise to get more responses. (Sounds fabulous...wish I could go!)
Old 06-09-2012, 04:56 AM

Smile WEll ,,just returned from this cruise and have
submitted a review in that section.Will take awhile to get posted,but happy to answer any questions after its up.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Thank you... and welcome home!

Tags
ama, boat, budapest, christmas, cruise, gate, gate1, lines, people, prague, reviews, river, riverboat, russia, waterways