Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   River Boat Cruises (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/river-boat-cruises/)
-   -   River Cruise Christmas Markets (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/river-boat-cruises/37619-river-cruise-christmas-markets.html)

janfred 11-07-2011 03:22 AM

River Cruise Christmas Markets

Anyone done a Christmas Market River Cruise? Wondering the main difference in Uniworld vs Viking. It sure does get confusing trying to narrow it down. Both have awards.

alexandra cruiser 11-07-2011 05:31 AM

Have been on both lines,,and really difference

is very slight,,,give a thought as to the weather on xmas tours,,will be cold and even may have sleet,,etc...and best thing about river cruises are the scenic views on top deck as you float down river..

Do check out ea.ship on websites,,,I like at least a French Veranda,,,on top deck,,,new ones even have 2 balconies on ones in 2012...

Go for itinerary that best suits you,,if pressed ,,,would give slight preference for Uniworld,,,for service and food...PS..if you look at fine print on 2 for 1 offers on Viking,,the balance must be paid when booked...not 90 days before like most,,,do check out a few online TA websites for best prices..and OBC...

any other questions,,glad to help...good luck,,,

janfred 11-07-2011 03:00 PM

Thank you so much, very helpful. I was leaning towards Uniworld. I do understand about the weather. It is tough and we haven't made up our minds on the time frame. I must just be a hopeless Romantic....Christmas in Vienna sounds wonderful, snow, sleet and all !! Do you have a favorite itineray ? Any suggestions? I did live in Frankfurt for 2 years, so the Rhine would be a last choice. Thanks

alexandra cruiser 11-08-2011 05:26 AM

I ve been on 8,,so far,,,and loved

Portugal,Egypt,Russia,,France,,,of course Rhine,,,doing Danube in May from Prague to Budapest...once you start ,,you get hooked..Still love ocean ones,of course,,,try for one of ea.a yr...
I live in FL..and its great here in Dec...so have avoided Europe travel then,,,plus,always worry about weather delays...going to Caribbean,,again,,in 6 wks.Good luck..

janfred 11-08-2011 05:21 PM

Alexandra
Thanks again for taking the time to help. That is why I love this website. I did the Baltics and had to go to Russia too because when I was in the Air Force we couldn't even think of going there. That being said I am now getting side tracked looking at Uniworlds Vietnam and Cambodia River Cruises. WOW is that not an exciting trip, I seem to want to face all my old fears ! Ahh...so many choices

Cruise Fanatic 11-13-2011 10:21 PM

Janfred, I did an Avalon Christmas Market Cruise in December 2008. I absolutely loved it and will be doing a Uniworld Christmas Market December 7th from Basel to Cologne. My Avalon was on the Danube from Vienna to Nuremberg with a 2nt extension to Prague. The weather was probably in the 40's and it made the warm Gluh Wein taste all the better. It was so wonderful seeing all the Christmas decorations and crafts, hearing children's choirs sing, and seeing the local families bringing their children out for this wonderful tradition. And the great food, oh my gosh! In Vienna I tried Chestnuts (roasting on an open fire of course), then there's the German sausages, strudel, gingerbread, and so much more. I only wish it had snowed!