Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > River Boat Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 06:47 PM

Default Prague to Paris?
My husband and I have never been to Europe and have been considering a cruise. We were originally looking at a Mediterranean cruise, but I get sea sick and am afraid of the unknown. We are now considering a riverboat cruise from Prague to Paris on either AMA or Avalon. The itinerary is the same. The Avalon Luminary was built in 2010 and the AMA sails two ships on this itinerary, both built in 2009. Has anyone sailed the AMA Europe's Rivers & Castles cruise or Avalon's Central Europe Experience? We are in the 50-53 age group. What kind of age group should we expect? Is this a good experience for first timers in Europe?
Old 08-30-2012, 05:12 AM

You should fit in fine on either of these cruises. AMA and Avalon are similar in their experiences. I think any Europe itinerary is beautiful on a river cruise. You are always seeing the scenery which makes river cruises up close and personal.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:38 AM

Wink I can help,,have sailed both lines and gone to both
ports.
I ve been on Avalon 2 times and enjoyed the,,,would rate good,,,was on AMA in June from Prague to Budapest on the new ship AMAcerto,,,far superior..perhaps new ship,new staff,,not sure.
Both cities deserve some extra days,,if you can swing it...perhaps 1 minimum pre and post cruise?
Age range varies,,mostly towards 50 to 70 or so,,with a few younger and some older..but will fit in nicely.
No problem with seasickness,,,barely notice it moving...but stick with mid or top deck to prevent hearing any engine sounds..also mid ship so no anchor,thruster sounds etc.Do go for french balcony,,worth every penny...we had 2 balconies on AMAcerto and it was GREAT.The rooms are small and large window and open air helps.
Do google ea.port to find out what you want to see,,,they incl.tours if you want or go on your own(easy since usually park right near city center).
Any specific questions,,I can help(have been on 9 river cruises,,so far).
Old 08-30-2012, 07:49 AM
Alexandra Cruiser,
I got cabin 201 on the AMAcello, would you say that was a nice choice? My main want at the time was the French Balcony so that was all I was thinking at the time. I may have time to change if available and you think it is not a good location.

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 08-30-2012, 08:22 AM

Wink As long as midship,,mid deck will be fine
I always try to get as close to the suites as possible,,,figure giving best location to those that PAY top price...
Good choice for balcony,,,love to lay in bed in AM and watch world go by,,,do remember that another ship MAY dock next to you,,,have found this out by walking out of bathroom in the buff and had another balcony and open window facing me...whew,...also,,watch out for the locks...workmen can be standing right at window during them...all these things found out the hard way...I try to pick side of ship that will be toward the scenic ports and on side where ships don t pull up..rather be facing dock .Can look at cabin location on website ...good luck.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:23 AM
Looks like the AMAcerto has the same deck plan and cabin 201 is first cabin near elevators. Looks like a nice location, not in the back near the engine. I have been reading a lot about rain and more rain in Nov. We will just hope for some sun.
Thanks for the great tips :OD again...note to self always have bathrobe nearby !!!

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 08-30-2012, 12:35 PM

Thanks for all the good information. We are thinking about cruising early September and doing at least one extra day in Paris and Prague if we can swing it. Haven't got the actual price quote yet. Sounds like a wonderful trip.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:15 PM

I have sailed on the lower level of both AMA and Avalon. The Avalon ship was much quieter because their wheel house is separate from the main part of the ship.

Tags
ama, avalon, castles, cruises, deals, europe, europes, luminary, paris, prague, review, reviews, river, riverboat, rivers, tours