Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > River Boat Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 08:19 AM

Smile New river cruise booked,,,,Vietnam on AMA
Plan to go on AMAlotus in Vietnam and Cambodia on Dec.24 for 16 days.

Have gotten guidebooks and checked tourism sites,,,has anyone been to these countries to give more details,advice,etc>>??
Old 08-31-2012, 10:38 AM

I have done Vietnam. From Ho Chi Minh City taking the tour to the Chu Chi Tunnels is very interesting and historical, if you care to see what our soldiers went through during the war. You can go through the tunnels which have been widened for tours, however; they are still very tight and low for those who get claustrophobic. They are maybe a 100 yards to the end, but have short cuts out for those that don't want to go the full length.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:35 AM

Question Thanks,,,wonder if my husband can FIT in them
he s over 6 ft,and 200 lbs...and WANTS to see them...our city tour does NOT inc.them,but can book it when I get there,,I think??
Now I m NOT going in,,,claustrophobic,,,big time.
Found a Samantha Brown video,,,streets look HECTIC...have 3 days there before river cruise.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:38 AM

Alexandra,
Your husband will be able to go through the tunnels but will have to crouch over the whole way. I am 5'3" and had to crouch.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:11 AM

Wink Just got back from this cruise
and really like it. Combination of land tour and riverboat with 1 nite in junk on Halong Bay.

AMA did a great job, hotels 5 star, AMAlotus great boat,but junk just mediocre.Plus weather on Bay was cold and cloudy.Many meals inc. on land portion, all on ship(I found the food very good..although thats a highly subjective subject,I know)

Inc.tours were an adventure.If you go, make sure you re in good physical shape.We re in late 60s and at times it was a stuggle to keep up with all the stairs,uneven surfaces,climbs,etc.But manages with just taking a few pm tours off,,to rest.

Great sites to visit in both Vietnam and Cambodia.Cities very crowded with lots of traffic,hard to cross streets.Took taxis and tuk tuks,rickshaws,ox carts,etc.

The countries are 3rd world and some sights can be difficult to see(begging children,stray dogs,bathroom faciilites...its NOT EUROPE.So be advised and KNOW what you re getting in to.

Glad I went, crossed one more area off my bucket list.But not a place I d like to go back to.

But for those interested,AMA did a great job and would recommend them if intersted in a real adventure.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:58 AM
I have been watching for your review and all I can say is what an unbelivable adventure..fantastic !! Love that you rode in an OX cart ! I want to see pictures if you post them somewhere let me know. I am going to try Uniworld Apr 28th Passau to Budapest, can't wait. It is on the River Beatrice, have you sailed on her??

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 01-13-2013, 06:43 AM

Wink I can send a great folder of photos
I got from a photographer,,much better than mine.If you want post email and will forward.
No,have not been on Beatrice,but other Uniworld ships 2 times. Currently seem to favor AMA and next on Scenic,just for 2 balconies.
Great area,do try to do Prague extension,great city.Plan on more days in BUdapest.We just had 1 extra and now plan on going there again in 2014 because its a real treasure.

Tags
ama, cruise, cruises, laos, review, reviews, river, riverboat, vietnam