Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Roll Calls: Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, NCL, and Other Lines
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 08:30 AM

We are cruising on June l6 from Venice to Barcelona on the Summit. Is anyone out there on that cruise and wanting to share some private excursions?
Old 04-09-2008, 05:55 PM

My husband and I are also on the June 16th cruise from Venice. We're looking into a private tour for Rome. We're not usually "tour" people, prefer to go on our own. But Rome has just too much to see. We'd prefer not to be limited by a bus full of people. What port/ports are you thinking of for private tours?
Old 04-15-2008, 11:46 AM

Rome was actually one of the ones we're considering to share and possibly Athens.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:11 PM

John and I usually don't take tours - we usually prefer to see things on our own at our own pace. We're thinking of seeing Athens on our own. I've been reading that the metro is very convenient to the port and the Acropolis. But Rome has so much to see and is more spread out so we're hesitant to go it alone. The ship's tour "Imperial Rome" seemed interesting but we don't want to be limited by the bus.

What are you interested in seeing in Rome???

I think this is GREAT to be "talking" to someone who'll be on the same cruise! Is this your first cruise?
Old 04-22-2008, 08:28 AM

Foto Peg: Yes, we may go the metro route in Athens as well to the Acropolis. As far as Rome, we really would like to see the Sistine Chapel and the Basillica. As well, the Coloseum, the Spanish steps. The problem is time. Before I go on, what is it that you are interested in seeing?? If we agree on certain things, then we could maybe discuss how we could do it, re getting a guide etc.

I think these chat things are fabulous!! No, this is our second cruise. We've done a Carribean crise two years ago and loved it. How about you?

Sometimes we like a mix--some tours, some on our own. When there's some interesting historical stuff, I do like the idea of someone
explaining it all. But, we like to do our own thing as well.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:52 PM

Hi Mardor - first, this will be our third cruise. We've been to Bermuda (years ago) and went from New York City (we live in Queens, suburb of the city) to Montreal. We loved both cruises, always wanted to do more but never seemed to have the time. This is a special trip to celebrate our anniversary (45th - but I hope we're young seniors!) and one we began planning almost ayear ago.

In Rome we'd like to see St. Peter's (as much as time will allow), The Forum area and Coliseum, The Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain. We're not interested in doing a lot of shopping (although I wouldn't mind a quick trip to the gift shop in St. Peters!). We'd like to drive past the Castel Sant'Angelo and cross the Ponte Sant'Angelo and the Monument Vittoria Emmanuele (actually these are all suggestons from our son who's been to Rome a few times!)

My husband's interested in History, the American Civil War is his speciality, but we don't get too stuffy about it.

As you can tell by us celebrating our 45th Anniversary we're only kids at heart but I also wouldn't say we're old fogies! If you're still interested in sharing a tour maybe the best route might be to E-mail each other directly. If you want to go that route let me know.

Peg
Old 04-26-2008, 07:29 AM

Foto Peg:

Sounds like we might be in the same "old fogie" range, or close, but we don't consider ourselves old fogies!!

We are Canadian, living near Toronto. So we're not American Civil War buffs, but learning the history behind things is always something we love.

We had also wanted to see the Coliseum, the Forum, the Spanish Steps and the Fountain of Trevi. I looked up the places you wanted to pass by and we wouldn't mind doing the same there. They looked really interesting.

As far as the time spent at St. Peters, etc., I
don't want to spend all day there in line ups, etc., then not getting to see anything else. But if we hired a guide, I'm sure they would be able to give us some timing ideas, based on time of year and the fact that we only have 1 day, etc. And I see from the site that we can pre-book these people and they would get advanced tickets for us.

As to shopping, I have to admit I love looking (not necessarily buying) but don't have to do that in Rome, and I doubt there'd be the time in any event.

So, why don't we exchange e-mails and go from there?mdw@sympatico.ca

Closed Thread

Tags
barcelona, celebrity, cruise, june, review, summit, venice, york