Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   Baby Pricing - Upset at RCCL (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/10096-baby-pricing-upset-rccl.html)

porsche9five1 01-08-2004 07:23 PM

RCCL does not discount for babies or infants charging full 3/4 person rates. I wrote a letter to the board of directors and here is my response:

Dear Mr. :

Thank you for contacting the Executive Offices concerning our infant pricing policy. Mr. Fain appreciated your comments and has asked me to review your concerns and respond on his behalf.

As a valued Crown & Anchor member with us, we are especially pleased that you will be joining us on the Mariner of the Seas in September and look forward to welcoming you and your family onboard. May we also convey our warmest congratulations to you and Mrs. on the upcoming arrival of the newest addition to your family.

We have thoughtfully noted your concerns regarding our current infant pricing policy. Please understand, however, that while we certainly recognize that an infant will not utilize the same facilities or partake in the same activities as an adult or older child, our present policy does not differentiate between infants and adults. As you are aware, pricing is based solely upon the total number of occupants in a stateroom, or "berths" required. As your child will be the third "occupant" in your stateroom, your current reservation would need to be converted to a triple occupancy stateroom, and additional fees would be assessed, as an additional "berth " would be required. Further, we would strongly recommend that you obtain a letter of release from your doctor advising that your newborn is fit for travel, as it is often recommended that time be given to allow for the infant's immune system to develop before extensive travel.

Mr. , appreciative of the fact that other cruise lines in the industry have enacted different policies and pricing procedures pertaining to infants, we regret that our policy, as described above, must apply equally to all of our guests. We must, therefore, respectfully, decline your request for an exception. Please accept our apologies for any disappointment our response may cause.

As we endeavor always to provide the very best for our guests, candid comments, such as yours, are greatly appreciated. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We look forward to welcoming you and your family onboard the Mariner of the Seas in September.

Sincerely,

Heather Williams
Corporate Guest Relations

I suggest that we voice some concern regarding this. Disney, Carnival, Princess either charge a discounted rate or only Port and Govt Taxes.

I would appreciate if each one of you would write a quick e-mail to Mr. Fain CEO and Chairman of RCCL and his Executive Team stating that this pricing policy is absolutely ABSURD.

rfain@rccl.com
agoldstein@rccl.com,
jwilliams@rccl.com,
lleon@rccl.COM

WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

porsche9five1 01-08-2004 07:23 PM

RCCL does not discount for babies or infants charging full 3/4 person rates. I wrote a letter to the board of directors and here is my response:

Dear Mr. :

Thank you for contacting the Executive Offices concerning our infant pricing policy. Mr. Fain appreciated your comments and has asked me to review your concerns and respond on his behalf.

As a valued Crown & Anchor member with us, we are especially pleased that you will be joining us on the Mariner of the Seas in September and look forward to welcoming you and your family onboard. May we also convey our warmest congratulations to you and Mrs. on the upcoming arrival of the newest addition to your family.

We have thoughtfully noted your concerns regarding our current infant pricing policy. Please understand, however, that while we certainly recognize that an infant will not utilize the same facilities or partake in the same activities as an adult or older child, our present policy does not differentiate between infants and adults. As you are aware, pricing is based solely upon the total number of occupants in a stateroom, or "berths" required. As your child will be the third "occupant" in your stateroom, your current reservation would need to be converted to a triple occupancy stateroom, and additional fees would be assessed, as an additional "berth " would be required. Further, we would strongly recommend that you obtain a letter of release from your doctor advising that your newborn is fit for travel, as it is often recommended that time be given to allow for the infant's immune system to develop before extensive travel.

Mr. , appreciative of the fact that other cruise lines in the industry have enacted different policies and pricing procedures pertaining to infants, we regret that our policy, as described above, must apply equally to all of our guests. We must, therefore, respectfully, decline your request for an exception. Please accept our apologies for any disappointment our response may cause.

As we endeavor always to provide the very best for our guests, candid comments, such as yours, are greatly appreciated. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We look forward to welcoming you and your family onboard the Mariner of the Seas in September.

Sincerely,

Heather Williams
Corporate Guest Relations

I suggest that we voice some concern regarding this. Disney, Carnival, Princess either charge a discounted rate or only Port and Govt Taxes.

I would appreciate if each one of you would write a quick e-mail to Mr. Fain CEO and Chairman of RCCL and his Executive Team stating that this pricing policy is absolutely ABSURD.

rfain@rccl.com
agoldstein@rccl.com,
jwilliams@rccl.com,
lleon@rccl.COM

WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

01-09-2004 03:50 PM

I'm not saying that I agree with this, but often businesses discourage people with babies beacause
babies can cry and often the parents think this is OK ( as on airplanes).Most newborns are not a problem but after a few months can get fussy and noisy...this is only cute to the parents! often mothers let the babies cry themself to sleep.Many mother think it is OK to nurse in public...even when covered with a blanket most people do not approve of this.In other words it's their way of saying-we really don't want infants,so if you bring one you must pay! Older kids are usually in the kids(they make money on this)program,but
they don't have infant care so it's not profitable.I feel that a discount should be given,but I am just trying to tell you why you're
being charged.It's probably in your best interest to stick to Disney . Some places are just more baby friendly!! Good luck!!

rmcg1975 01-11-2004 06:28 PM

What would they do if your wife is late and then suddenly goes into labor halfway through the trip? Are they going to refund you and then recharge you for the rest of the trip??? Seeing you will start the trip with 2 and end it with 3? That is concerning.

Disney Magic: 11/99
Disney Magic: 05/00
Explorer of the Seas: 10/01
Enchantment of the Seas: 05/02
Explorer of the Seas: 05/03
Navigator of the Seas: 02/04

RIDGID 01-11-2004 10:34 PM

Carnival's Welcome Aboard Package states in their contract on page 5 section 6a "Passengers who will enter their third trimester (twenty seventh week) of pregnacy by the time of the voyage and infants less than 4 months old shall not be permitted to board the vessel." I am sure that most other cruise lines have the same rules.

porsche9five1 01-12-2004 03:39 PM

I did indeed contact Royal Carribean and they do not have any coporate policy concerning the age of the infant like some other cruise lines.

I did infact already purchase a cabin based on triple occupany and am paying the third person rate of $413 for an infant.

What I am looking for in terms of support is that whether the baby is a newborn or 3-6 months old, they should not be charged that full rate, if any a pro-rated amount. A baby is not going to utilize any of the onboard services.

This is the point that I am trying to get across and would love to have some support in the way of writing to the executive board of RCCL and voicing their concern.

I am not a first time RCCL cusotmer, in fact this cruise will be my 10th with RCCL alone, plus my various other sailings on Norwegien, Celebrity and Carnival.

beachbuzzard 01-12-2004 07:03 PM

I just re-read the letter you received from RCCL concerning the infant issue and I think you are missing their point a little bit.

It's their feeling that because an infant requires a berth and a couple with an infant is required to have a cabin for 3, then by bringing the infant you are occupying a berth that could have been occupied by an occupant that would have used more services (a berth that COULD have been occupied by someone paying full rate if an infant fare were made available).

It seems this is the company's call. They can choose to not charge as much for an infant, but I think they feel if they did so they would attract more infants, and that (at a reduced fare) would reduce their overall income on the ships.

I can see both sides of the argument. And I believe RCCL sees both sides also and understands that by charging full fare for an infant, they risk losing some business to parents of infants. They must feel it's worth the risk.

01-17-2004 12:51 AM

In some ways I agree with porsche9five1, because an infant won't be utilizing the facilities as someone else would. Perhaps the cruise line could adopt something similiar to what the airlines do and let infants travel at a reduced rate if they don't occupy another seat up to the age of 2. The cruise line can have a reduced rate for infants if they don't occupy an additional berth, and sleeps in the parents bed. Just a thought. But then again, our family has done quite a bit of travelling during the past few years, and we're finally taking our daughter on her first cruise. She just turned 7.

Looking forward to Radiance 3/21

01-19-2004 09:01 AM

Question, would you agree that even an infant will create some extra work and service for staff? Unless you're nursing, would you ask staff to warm up some milk/formula? Would you not have dirty diapers that need to be disposed of? Would the cabin require extra cleaning for an infant and parents? Could someone that has a handicapped child or spouse that could not participate in activities or ship meals ask for the same rate adjustment?

marshe 01-19-2004 11:14 AM

Why would anyone take an infant anywhere on vacation? Unless it's to grandma's house in another part of the world, I see no reason to travel with a child on vaction.
We take cruises to get away from children. Too many folks think children belong around adults and seem oblivious to the issues their kids cause others. Too many people think having kids allows them special rules.
Leave the baby at home with relatives. If this is not possible then wait a few years until the child is old enough to derive some understanding from the trip.
I'm glad the cruiseline is dinging you for the extra charge. Why shouldn't they?
They're trying to tell you to leave the kid at home!