Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2007, 11:32 AM

We need a little help on boarding times. Ive read on these forums that its better to show up as early as 11am and most of the time you get on before the crowd. Ive also read (and the RCL sales person on the phone) said to just show up late and there will be no line. The ticket says to not show up before 2pm so im not sure if this is a rule or more of a guideline.
My girlfriend and I have a hotel so it would be no problem to show up late but I wouldnt mind getting on the boat early. In your experiece is it better to show up early or late?

Thank you in advance.
Brad & Alyssa
Old 02-19-2007, 11:46 AM

Its a guideline, but it has a lot to do with when the ship arrives from its previous cruise. If you are staying in town the day of the cruise, and have internet access, check the port web cam to see when the ship arrives. On our cruise, Voyager arrived before 7am and new passengers were boarding by 11am. Other cruises that had delays of one sort or another board much later.

2nd cruise Majesty OTS - 5/11/07

3rd cruise Freedom of the Seas 4/27/08 Western Caribbean - Hump Balcony!!!

Next Navigator of the Seas 4/6/09 First time to Belize
Old 02-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Administrator

The thing the cruise lines won't tell you is that if everyone followed the embarkation time they list it would be a madhouse and they would be hard pressed to get everyone aboard by the sailing time. Looking at my tickets for the Holiday next month, they list the embarkation time as being 1:30 to 3pm. So they are saying they can process 1500 people through security and then check-in in 90 minutes.....horse hockey! I'll be there at 11am.

Getting there early "normally" means you get aboard earlier and therefore your cruise starts earlier. I'll put up with a line if it means I can get 3 or 4 hours of cruise time while those who show up later - while they miss the lines - also missed out on lunch, a few drinks, some pool time, etc.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:18 PM

Bill, where do you find the fort lauderdale port web cam? I did a google search and the best i could find was a cam of the entire port(and part of the city) and it was pretty far away so there was no way i could tell what ships they were.

Dave, very insightful and true. The whole driver behind this discussion was really to see if it would be worth it going early. After reading your post im definately going to get there early. I too would rather have an extra 4-5 hours of cruise time than getting there late to miss the people.

Thanks!

P.S. Dave, You should "sticky" some of the discussion threads to keep them on the front page. I found just about all my answers by digging into the discussions way back in the latter pages. Some of those discussions are pure gold!
Old 02-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Port Everglades is lacking in good cams. I usually go to Cruise Calendar since they have cam links (maybe for your ship) and also lots of other details.

We tend to not pin discussions since this causes new posts to be pushed down and out of sight.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:33 PM
Banned

Well you guys have done it again....now another "favorite" site to save on my computer. Thanks Dave for cruise calendar website! Adding that one with my marine weather, and all the port websites, it's wonderful. Keep up the great tips!!
Old 02-20-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alaskans:
We need a little help on boarding times. Ive read on these forums that its better to show up as early as 11am and most of the time you get on before the crowd. Ive also read (and the RCL sales person on the phone) said to just show up late and there will be no line. The ticket says to not show up before 2pm so im not sure if this is a rule or more of a guideline.
My girlfriend and I have a hotel so it would be no problem to show up late but I wouldnt mind getting on the boat early. In your experiece is it better to show up early or late?

Thank you in advance.
Brad & Alyssa
How long can you wait to start your cruise vacation? That should tell you when to get onboard. For me, early as possible. Heck I woul even help them get the gangway up to the ship if they would let me.

Dave, once again you impress me! Cruisecal.com is excelent. Much better than http://www.kroooz-cams.com/

Ken
Old 02-20-2007, 11:52 AM
Banned

To piggy back on everything already said, there is a certain spiritualness associated with the event of leaving port on day 1 of your cruise. All of the anticipation, preparation, etc. Getting on board early allows you to explore the ship, fill yer belly, have a couple of pops, belts, or fufu drinks, all in preparation for the spiritual nirvana that comes with the ship's first movement....
Old 02-20-2007, 02:30 PM

Going early is by far the best choice. If you are in Miami...why wait. I'd rather be waiting outside with excitement and anticipation than killing time in a hotel room. When you do get on early it gives you a chance to check out the ship, personally intodruce yourself to the bartender and reserve a great seat at the bar.
Enjoy
Leigh

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Imagination Mar. 09
Carnival Destiny Nov. 2008
Carnival Liberty March 2008
Carnival Freedom Nov 2007
Explorer of the Sea Mar 2007
Carnival Fascination Nov. 2006
Grand Princess Feb 4 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb 2005
TSS Atlas 1988
Discovery 1983

Old 02-20-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Leigh:
Going early is by far the best choice. If you are in Miami...why wait. I'd rather be waiting outside with excitement and anticipation than killing time in a hotel room. When you do get on early it gives you a chance to check out the ship, personally intodruce yourself to the bartender and reserve a great seat at the bar.

I agree, go early
Enjoy
Leigh

Closed Thread

Tags
130, at, board, bosrd, caribbean, carribbean, carribean, cruise, early, late, rcl, room, royal, ship, time, upgrade