Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2003, 06:55 AM

Taking my whole family on our 2nd RC cruise in January, 04 --- kids are ages 19, 17 and 13. They'd really like to swim with the dolphins in Grand Cayman or Jamaica. Question? Is it worth it? We've heard that you don't get much time to do it on the excursion -- and that it's really not worth the time and money? Any confirmations or opposing views? HELP!
Old 11-24-2003, 06:55 AM

Taking my whole family on our 2nd RC cruise in January, 04 --- kids are ages 19, 17 and 13. They'd really like to swim with the dolphins in Grand Cayman or Jamaica. Question? Is it worth it? We've heard that you don't get much time to do it on the excursion -- and that it's really not worth the time and money? Any confirmations or opposing views? HELP!
Old 11-29-2003, 11:47 AM

Hi, our family did the dolphin swim at Dolphin Encounter in Jamaica, and we did enjoy it. My sons are 19 and 24, and they would do it again. This was the Dunn's/Dolphin Swim combo.

ZC
Old 12-02-2003, 11:22 AM

I am also looking for feedback on the different dolphin excursions. I hear there are two different types.

One where you swim with the dolphins as a group (10-15 people) and they take a group picture of a dolphin jumping over the group???

The other is much more of an encounter where it is a group of 3-5 people and you actually get your individual photo with the dolphin???

Is this fact or fiction???
Old 12-09-2003, 04:15 PM

Hi, we did the dolphin swim, and there were about 9-10 in our group. Your group and about three other groups are in a very large pool like pond and there is lots of interacting with the dolphin. During the encounter, your groups is being video taped by a staff member. It lasted about 30 minutes, give or take and then you will be able to view your video and the purchase is around $60 with three pictures.
The Dolphin touch is just that, and you are not in the water, you stand on a dock next to the groups that are in the water.
I decided that for a little more money, we can do the real thing.
If I had to do it again, I would stay at Dolphin Cove long enough to do the swim, then take off for Dunn's River Falls. That was a BLAST! Get a guide and you will enjoy even more. He knows just where to step. We gave him our video camera, which he placed in a plastic bag, and he would stop at certain parts of the falls and take great video. Give him your camera too. We tipped him $20, it was worth it. My kids went back twice and climbed the falls.
Take your water socks and you can also rent a box for your personal belongings. It was about $5.00.

Hope that helps. Have fun!

ZC
Old 07-13-2004, 11:23 PM

I have done the dolphin encounter in jamaica and in bahamas at unexeco i think that is the spelling. The one in jamaica was a joke compared to Bahamas. In the Bahamas there was 5 of us in the lagoon with two dolphins for about 20 minutes and then the other 5 people got in. We got to dive with the dolphins (life jackets optional), touch and do a couple of commands. It was the best experience I've ever had. My hubby was able to video tape and take pictures from the dock. Jamaica on the other hand was not so good. We had about 20 in a group. the lagoon was crowded with about 10 other groups of people around the perimiter of the lagoon. Every group got one dolphin. I got yelled at when a dolphin approached me when we were swimming to our section becuase i touched him..We were allowed to do that in bahamas. We got to be in the water with our life jackets and the encounter consisted of the dolphin swimming past us and we got to pat it as it swam by. wow!! good for little kids. I was very disappointed as I had already done the one in Bahamas. We then got 5 minutes with the dolphin in couples to take a picture and get a kiss. Do it in bahamas.!!!
Old 07-24-2004, 07:55 PM

following up on deeanna's post, Try this for an alternative point of view...While I have never been to the bahamas, I too was a little disapointed with the donlphins in ocho rios. The no touching unless told to and the no photography policy was really upsetting. My opinion, is to save the dolphin thing for another island where they do it better (read reviews) and go to stingray city in grand cayman...it's a MUCH better use of your money, and having done both, stingrays were a much more memorable experience!

try this:

http://www.shoretrips.com/common/sea...M&tcode=000750

This is the trip I took last august. Awesome.

Too Long!

Click here for my website
Old 07-25-2004, 05:08 PM

I have to agree with the last post - given a choice between swimming with the dolphins or Stingray City - I'd pick Stingray City in a heartbeat.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, cayman, cruise, dolphin, dolphins, excursion, excursions, excurtions, grand, jamaca, review, reviews, royal, shoretrips, swim