Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2006, 03:33 PM

Our ports of call include Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. We would like to do 1 beach day and 2 other interesting excursions appropriate for our children (that may also be educational for them). We have already seen Dunn's Falls on our honeymoon, so would not likely do that again.
Which island is best for just hanging out at the beach (and which beach is recommended)?
We are not opposed to keeping kids in the kids club (perhaps in Jamaica), if the island is not great for kids.

Thanks

Old 06-09-2006, 03:33 PM

Our ports of call include Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. We would like to do 1 beach day and 2 other interesting excursions appropriate for our children (that may also be educational for them). We have already seen Dunn's Falls on our honeymoon, so would not likely do that again.
Which island is best for just hanging out at the beach (and which beach is recommended)?
We are not opposed to keeping kids in the kids club (perhaps in Jamaica), if the island is not great for kids.

Thanks

Old 06-11-2006, 03:10 PM

Hi,

On Grand Cayman, one thing I would not miss is the Stingray City Scuba -- our children (who are now teens) have done both the Dolphin swim and the Stingray scuba (on different trips), and the Stingray scuba was one of their most memorable experiences. That is, if your children aren't afraid of having slimy but adorable creatures come right up to them! In Jamaica we always take a cab just to get a tour or the island; very inexpensive, the cabdrivers are great, and you'll get to see all the important sights. Make sure they take you to Dolphin Cove. A tip -- we once had our laundry washed in Jamaica; a cabdriver dropped it off in the AM and we picked it up, folded, before returning to the ship. It was very reasonable and I know with kids that may come in handy. As far as Cozumel, the highlight I believe is the Mayan ruins (we didn't get there) but I don't know how your children will take to walking around. I'm sure it's very hot. Otherwise, scuba diving is always a great experience. Don't forget that if you choose to stay on the ship while in port you will feel like you have your own private yacht, which is nice as well. Enjoy!
Old 06-12-2006, 02:30 PM

We were in Cozumel in March with my 2 boys ages 8 & 9 and we did the Atlantis Submarine Ride. I called Atlantis directly and booked it. Depending on where you dock it will be a 5 minute walk or 5 minute taxi ride. We saw so many fish and a huge turtle. We went down 125 feet which was very exciting for my boys.

Diana
Old 06-12-2006, 02:36 PM

I also should have added that when we were in Grand Cayman we went snorkeling and sting ray alley with Captain Marvin. I emailed them directly to make a reservation. We loved the snorkeling but the sting rays totally freaked out my boys. They are up to 6 feet long and they do rub against you. My boys enjoyed watching them from the boat.

Diana
Old 06-15-2006, 10:39 AM

SignalK,

Can you give me more info about laundry in Jamaica? We'll be traveling with our four kids and another family and might really appreciate the option to have a little laundry done.

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:36 PM

Hi, Cooks,

All I remember is that my husband, who has searched for and found laundromats all over the world, spoke to a cab driver who dropped off the laundry (with us in the cab); we agreed on a price and they told us when it would be ready. I think it was about $14 for a load, folded. Of course, I was sure we'd never see our stuff again but sure enough when we went back it was all there, neatly folded.

All of the cabbies have "pals" (stores, laundromats, souvinirs, junk, whatever) and will get you whatever you need. Our experience (on two trips) was that they were hospitable and honest, but of course you never know.

Another option we've done, if you don't want to let your stuff out of your sight, is to find a laundromat at one of the ports and do our own laundry. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay RCCL $3 for a pair of undies! The only place we failed was in Venice, and we still can't figure out how (or if) the natives get their clothes cleaned! Good luck.

SignalK
Old 06-16-2006, 12:44 PM

Thank you for response. This site is so helpful about answering questions.

Cookspop
Old 06-19-2006, 09:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SignalK:
Hi, Cooks,

The only place we failed was in Venice, and we still can't figure out how (or if) the natives get their clothes cleaned! Good luck.

SignalK

This is just a comment, a bit off topic but funny. We have very good friends who are "real" Italians...funny phrase to use, but the best I can think of right now...When they come to America, they take pictures of laundramats just to show their friends back home who won't believe them if they just tell them. They tell me that Italy has no publiclaundramats because no self-respecting Italian would do his or her laundry in public!

That may not be true to all of Italy, but it is true of my friends from Ravenna (not far from Venice!!). Customs differ, that's part of what makes traveling so much fun.

Closed Thread

Tags
excursions, italy, kids, ravenna