Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Think you can't get the "death penalty" for complaining too much about a cruise? Look here and see what happened to one couple. Note that this link contains another link to a competing forum. In this case I am allowing it since the story is of interest and all the stories I can find mention the other forum.

Frankly I support Royal Caribbean in taking this action. Cruise lines are constantly bashed on-line - including here - for trivial issues. Sure, some things these people griped about may be legitimate. But given the track record I also have to think there was lots of non-issues too. People need to realize that cruise lines are businesses, and therefore don't have to serve you if they don't want to. Wal-Mart serves trespass warnings to customers every day, telling them if they ever return they'll be arrested. Looks like Royal Caribbean is joining the club. In this case, the cruise line was simply saying "you know what, obviously we cannot meet your expectations so we quit. Go find another company and leave us alone."

It also shows that, without a doubt, the cruise lines monitor forums such as cruise-chat.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Another point - if you get individual compensation for something, something beyond what was offered to everyone on a cruise, you had best keep it between you and the cruise line. Really, it is not any different than when you settle a lawsuit or insurance claim and you have to agree to keep it confidential.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:31 PM

Very interesting article. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:49 PM

Thanks for sharing the article. Food for thought!!

Read and post cruise reviews

Old 05-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the info Dave but this only rise more questions for example:
How do they know who where the ones talking on their reviews??
For example on cruisereviews.com
You have to let them know your name
But in here??
How do they know who really is the one posting??
The only way will be if the site offer that info
or I am wrong??
Old 05-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
How do they know who really is the one posting??
Because if you put down the cabin number you had on a cruise, and they see the user name for the cruise review, they then know who it really is and can follow all their forum posts. Example: I post a review under the name "cruise-chat guru" and say I was in cabin number 10. All they have to do is go to their records for that cruise and see who was assigned to cabin number 10. They would then know that "cruise-chat guru" was really me.

They could also match up the complaints on-line with the complaints listed in the letters they sent to the cruise line.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:41 PM

casanova - read the review - it tells what cruise she was on when and what cabin. Doesn't take long to look up records in computers.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 05-20-2008, 01:45 PM
o ok thanks for the fast response
I never think of that
but it's true even my self have gave my cabin number during a post I will be careful next time...
Old 05-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Administrator

It is always wise to choose one's words carefully when posting on-line. Every so often we get a member here who thinks they can say anything they want, and will wrap themselves in the flag and give us the "freedom of speech" lecture. We have Terms Of Service for a reason, and really, the TOS are there to protect both the owners of cruise-chat as well as the individual members.

If someone posts on-line they can be sued if the post is slanderous, libelous, or violates a copyright. Some people just don't understand it, or don't want to accept it.

Similarly if I post a review of a cruise that contains a lot of petty complaints, and then start an on-line campaign against the cruise line, I shouldn't be surprised if they call me and say "no more cruises for you!".

We've all seen what we call "drive-by posters", who swoop in on the forum, post a tediously long-winded message that is all complaints and not one good thing, and think they have showed the cruise line a thing or two. Often we leave these alone since they show the pettiness of the poster. Sometimes we have to remove them from public view because, whether the person realizes it or not, the post could get them in trouble.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:05 PM

I believe that all of us know of at least one person who goes out of their way to see if they can squeeze a little discount out of every vacation. Most discounts are done acceptably but there are also the frivolous just trying to save a buck discounts. You've seen their posts on the forum and you may have had the pleasure of standing behind one of them in line at a hotel guest relations window as they plead their petty cases. It all boils down to business. RCCL and every other cruise line is interested in one thing... making money. There is nothing wrong with that. It's capitalism at it's finest. They provide a service that I want and I pay for it. I applaud Royal Caribbean's stand and I anticipate others will be receiving letters soon.

Closed Thread

Tags
ban, baned, banned, caribbean, carnival, carribean, chat, complaints, couples, cruise, cruising, life, line, rccl, royal