Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2005, 10:23 AM

I'm cruising on the Enchantment with my 17 year old son. Two questions:
* What is proper attire for him for formal night? Jacket and tie?

* Can he sit in lounges/bars with us for a before or after-dinner drink?
Old 09-08-2005, 02:01 PM

Hi

Is your teenager looking forward to be with you?I do envy you - a 17 year being with his parents on holiday. Wow!

My 17 nearly 18 year would not even think of coming on holiday with her dad and mom. WHat on earth have we in common.

You are so luckly to have a 17 year old wanting to cruise with his mom and dad.

Sorry I digress, the answer is that yes he should wear something smart on formal nights. Crusing and formal nights is all about "dressing up" - for us ladies, part of the fun is getting ready and putting on our glad rags and feeling like a superstar. Gents should look good beside us girls.

ANyone wanting to wear shorts on these special evenings needs shooting (well.... at least they need educating).
Old 09-08-2005, 04:54 PM
If you can't get him into a suit, try a nice pair of black slacks or dark docker-type slacks with a sport coat. With my husband, I can't get him into black slacks for anything. It's dark twill pants and sport coat. Although, I can get him to wear a tie at least through dinner.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:52 AM

I AM lucky that he wants to come. Especially since he'll be traveling with his mother, aunt, and grandmother and no other kids or guys! Though we're kind of crazy ladies, so he knows he'll have fun with us.

I'm not sure about getting him into a suit, but will definitely insist upon dress slacks, jacket, and tie. The hardest part will be getting him into dress shoes!

Any thoughts on whether he'll be allowed to come into the lounges with us? I'm not talking about hanging out in the bars until 4 am, but just for a drink before or after dinner.

Thanks for your response(s)!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jarronwood:
Hi

Is your teenager looking forward to be with you?I do envy you - a 17 year being with his parents on holiday. Wow!

My 17 nearly 18 year would not even think of coming on holiday with her dad and mom. WHat on earth have we in common.

You are so luckly to have a 17 year old wanting to cruise with his mom and dad.

Sorry I digress, the answer is that yes he should wear something smart on formal nights. Crusing and formal nights is all about "dressing up" - for us ladies, part of the fun is getting ready and putting on our glad rags and feeling like a superstar. Gents should look good beside us girls.

ANyone wanting to wear shorts on these special evenings needs shooting (well.... at least they need educating).
Old 09-09-2005, 11:33 AM

He will be allowed to join you in the bars - but if under 18 won't be allowed to drink other than soft drinks.(that might be 21- not sure but sure its over 18) If you want I am sure he could have a glass of wine with Dinner....

He will meet up with others about his age anyway- there are usually a few on board and there is usually special events for teens.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:05 PM

If you son is 17, they will serve him alcohol oonboard once you are in International waters. We just cruised last spring break with a group of 17 & 18 year olds, and actually had a HUGE problem with the boys getting served even when we had the 2 holes punched in their cards indicating that they were not to be served alcohol{under-age}. Just be aware of this......We thought we had it under control, but was very dissapointed with the way that RCC handled serving these boys. I am not saying that they were being served without asking for alcohol, but they were serving them even at 17!!
The boys figured this out very quickly, and took advantage of it the entire cruise.
Keep in mind that 18 is "legal" for ANYTHING once you are onboard.....
Old 09-09-2005, 03:26 PM
As for "dress shoes", my husband has a pair of black Rockport walking shoes. They do double duty as dress-up shoes and excursion shoes.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:27 PM
ps - Don't know that a 17 year old will go for the Rockports, but there may be something that he would/could consider that would be appropriate for both dinner and other times.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:56 PM

We just came back from Explorer cruise and our 17 yr old daughter joined us for dinner. We went on the cruise critic roll call site and found out ahead of time if there were any kids her age (and her siblings'). The younger ones wrote to soem of the group. Cruise Critic also had a welcome party for us the 2nd day in Portofinos so that we all met each other after using different names on the site and there were give-aways and prizes as well. There are pictures and mail even after the cruise already and some are planning another cruise! Most times the kids eat with their new friends at Windjammer, esp if they don't want to dress up.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, dinner, dress, drink, enchantment, lounge, seas, solo, teenager