Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2007, 11:06 PM

In the past, my husband and I have brought a small bottle of our favorite liquor on board because they never have it on the ship. But I recently heard that RCCL is checking luggage specifically for this and will confiscate it. Has anyone else heard or experienced this?
Old 06-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Nope! This is the first I've heard of this.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by f-mattox:
Nope! This is the first I've heard of this.
Hope I am replying in the right way. This is the first time I have used this site. This will be our 12th cruise (11 have been on RC) and we have never experienced this but some friends told us that RC is cracking down on the number of people that have brought alcohol on board because they are "losing money" on it. Hard to believe they are losing money on anything, isn't it?! Give us cruise passengers one break!
Old 06-11-2007, 11:17 PM

Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

I have never heard of them searching for a specific liqour either.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:20 PM

In that case..wrap it well and put it in the suit case that is checked

And Forgetaboutit
Old 06-12-2007, 11:03 AM

Yesterday, the Today Show’s Travel Editor, Peter Greenberg did a piece about how the travel industry was “nickel and diming” its customers. The most egregious example he showed was a flight he took in Europe on EasyJet where the fare was $60, but the charge for his luggage was $516.

Sometimes I feel that way about the cruise industry. Gone are the days where you paid the fare, paid for shore excursions, bar bills, and tips. Now it seems that every time you turn around, you have to pay for something

You pay to have a Sunday at Johnny Rocket’s, you pay to have an ice cream at Ben & Jerry’s, you pay to have a steak at Chops, you pay to have pasta at Portofinos, you pay $2 for every coke –where most restaurants give free refills (or you pay $8/day for a package), you pay for internet service, you pay $5/hr after 10PM for Adventure Ocean, you pay $4 to get driven from the ship to the end of the pier, you have to pay ship’s price for laundry because there is no Laundromat (unlike Princess), you get lured to an “Art Auction” (to spend a LOT of nickels) by a glass of warm sparkling wine, passengers over 70 years of age must pay a $5 per day “convenience charge” due to their age (OK, I made that one up), you pay $4/hr for group babysitting, you pay extra for newer movies, you are asked to pose at least twice a day for the ship’s photographers (who want you to pay for the pictures they take), you pay at the Spa, you must pay $5 for a vest to snorkel at Coco Cay, there is a charge to use a ship’s walkie-talkie, you pay $10 for the Yoga Class, you pay $10 for the Pilate’s class, you pay $25 for the Golf Simulator, you can pay for the recipes of the food served onboard, you can pay to have flowers in your room, you can pay to rent a Tux, you can buy a CD of the cruise, you can pay $50 for a “Partners Massage Class ( dang, I missed that one!), you can pay $10 for a Wheels In Motion class, you can spend money at the Designer Watch Sale, the Blowout T-Shirt Sale, the Inch of Gold Sale, the Premium Digital Camera Sale, you can buy a latte, you can buy a food basket, you can buy stateroom decorations, you can buy a trail of rose petals, you can buy a Romance Package, you can buy a Birthday Package, you can buy a Wine & Dine Package, you can buy liquor but can’t take it to your room, and you can’t bring it on board.

I am not saying that any of these are wrong because RCL discloses the costs before you incur them. And I am not saying (necessarily) that there shouldn’t be a charge for any of the items - because you always have the option of not using them (except when the kids JUST HAVE to have a cup of ice cream, or when SailorJane JUST HAS to have that darling little diamond brooch on 800 inches of gold chain). And I understand that if every one of these items were free the cost of the cruise might increase significantly. Then, maybe not. How much can a coke at dinner cost?

But when the ship is trying every which way to sell you something every time you turn around, I think it detracts somewhat from the experience. You would think that they would at least chill a little and let you bring your own liquor on board so you can have a stiff shot as you look over your daily charge account!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Banned

Here! Here!
Old 06-12-2007, 05:43 PM

They even check your checked baggage. Had a friend on my mom-n-law got a few months ago & they took it out of her checked bag. My advice, don't try it. If ya do, good luck

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 06-13-2007, 01:20 PM

SailorJack,
I loved your quote!!! I have cruised many times before and while I am familiar with most all of the nickel and diming you mentioned, putting it all in one place really hit home!!!

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally posted by SailorJack:
Yesterday, the Today Show’s Travel Editor, Peter Greenberg did a piece about how the travel industry was “nickel and diming” its customers. The most egregious example he showed was a flight he took in Europe on EasyJet where the fare was $60, but the charge for his luggage was $516.

Sometimes I feel that way about the cruise industry. Gone are the days where you paid the fare, paid for shore excursions, bar bills, and tips. Now it seems that every time you turn around, you have to pay for something

You pay to have a Sunday at Johnny Rocket’s, you pay to have an ice cream at Ben & Jerry’s, you pay to have a steak at Chops, you pay to have pasta at Portofinos, you pay $2 for every coke –where most restaurants give free refills (or you pay $8/day for a package), you pay for internet service, you pay $5/hr after 10PM for Adventure Ocean, you pay $4 to get driven from the ship to the end of the pier, you have to pay ship’s price for laundry because there is no Laundromat (unlike Princess), you get lured to an “Art Auction” (to spend a LOT of nickels) by a glass of warm sparkling wine, passengers over 70 years of age must pay a $5 per day “convenience charge” due to their age (OK, I made that one up), you pay $4/hr for group babysitting, you pay extra for newer movies, you are asked to pose at least twice a day for the ship’s photographers (who want you to pay for the pictures they take), you pay at the Spa, you must pay $5 for a vest to snorkel at Coco Cay, there is a charge to use a ship’s walkie-talkie, you pay $10 for the Yoga Class, you pay $10 for the Pilate’s class, you pay $25 for the Golf Simulator, you can pay for the recipes of the food served onboard, you can pay to have flowers in your room, you can pay to rent a Tux, you can buy a CD of the cruise, you can pay $50 for a “Partners Massage Class ( dang, I missed that one!), you can pay $10 for a Wheels In Motion class, you can spend money at the Designer Watch Sale, the Blowout T-Shirt Sale, the Inch of Gold Sale, the Premium Digital Camera Sale, you can buy a latte, you can buy a food basket, you can buy stateroom decorations, you can buy a trail of rose petals, you can buy a Romance Package, you can buy a Birthday Package, you can buy a Wine & Dine Package, you can buy liquor but can’t take it to your room, and you can’t bring it on board.

I am not saying that any of these are wrong because RCL discloses the costs before you incur them. And I am not saying (necessarily) that there shouldn’t be a charge for any of the items - because you always have the option of not using them (except when the kids JUST HAVE to have a cup of ice cream, or when SailorJane JUST HAS to have that darling little diamond brooch on 800 inches of gold chain). And I understand that if every one of these items were free the cost of the cruise might increase significantly. Then, maybe not. How much can a coke at dinner cost?

But when the ship is trying every which way to sell you something every time you turn around, I think it detracts somewhat from the experience. You would think that they would at least chill a little and let you bring your own liquor on board so you can have a stiff shot as you look over your daily charge account!
Old 06-13-2007, 03:12 PM

I applaud SailorJack for the extensive list of "extras". I can't think of a one that was missed. I can understand the extra charges for most of these things as they may only apply to some guests and why burden everyone with the costs in their fare (Adventure Ocean is an example)

I never did understand when they began charging for a soda. They provide milk, tea, coffee for dinner, it can not cost them anymore to offer free soda (at least at dinner) than any of those other freebies. I can see it at the bars since you need to curtail the kids from getting a soda and then leaving mostly full glasses everywhere. But it should be no more than $.50 a glass (for a big glass) and free with dinner.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013

Closed Thread

Tags
alcohol, boarad, board, booze, bring, bringing, caribbean, carribean, celebrity, cruise, liquor, onboard, reviews, royal, ship, silohouette