Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2006, 03:21 PM

Is it true that all the Balcony staterooms on this deck have all steel railings and enclosures,not glass? If not, how can I find out which ones do? Is there a picture somewhere that shows what it looks like? Can you see over the railing when you are sitting on the balcony? My family has a couple rooms on this deck and I want to be sure I can see the ocean when I'm sitting on the deck.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Deck 6 is the bottom balcony deck in this photo. It doesn't appear that these balconies have an obstructed view from a sitting position. Explorer Photo
Old 01-25-2006, 07:56 AM

Thanks Dave,

From your photo, it doesn't look like there is any obstruction. Have you been on this ship? Do you think Deck 6 is OK? That's really all I could get. I needed to get 2 cabins that could hold 3 people. We are in the cabins that are in the back of the ship, that face the wake. I think that's the aft. Am I right?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:18 AM
Administrator

We were on the Mariner on deck 7 in an aft balcony cabin. Same ship design as the Explorer. Aft balconies are much-desired because there is usually no wind to contend with and you get better views (port, starboard, and aft). However, on the Voyager-class ships there is a good bit of ship structure that goes out past the aft balconies. You can see out okay, but it isn't totally open. Here is a photo from our balcony. Aft End Of Voyager Class Ships
Old 01-25-2006, 03:12 PM

debk, I was glad to see your question, as I am booked on deck 6 on Explorer of the seas, out of Miami, March 19 - Eastern Carribean. I didn't do that much research (None) before booking, just thought a balcony sounded good and then I read the review that suggested the steel railings and no view. I am glad to see Dave56 photos. When are you cruising on the Explorer?
Quote:
Originally posted by debk:
Is it true that all the Balcony staterooms on this deck have all steel railings and enclosures,not glass? If not, how can I find out which ones do? Is there a picture somewhere that shows what it looks like? Can you see over the railing when you are sitting on the balcony? My family has a couple rooms on this deck and I want to be sure I can see the ocean when I'm sitting on the deck.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:42 PM

We went on Voyager on Deck 6 in 2003, down one of the sides. It has the same balconies as the Explorer, built into the structure. The newer voyager class ships (E.g. Mariner) have the glass fronted balconies on the side.

If I remember correctly you can not see over the top of the balcony if you sit down, not on Deck 6 anyway.

Dave
Old 01-25-2006, 06:08 PM

Hi Dave H. and Dave56

Thanks for all your help. But I'm still unclear.
Dave H are you saying that when you sit on the balcony you can't see anything. That you have to stand to see? So then, what's the point of a balcony? Do you think I should try to get on another Deck? Also, for Dave56, is that picture from the Explorer or the Mariner? Is that a deck at the bottom that people can walk on or is it just open space? I would hate to have people walking by my balcony all the time.
We're not going until August to Bermuda.

Thanks again.
Deb
Old 01-25-2006, 06:34 PM
Administrator

My photo is from the Mariner. The aft portion of the ships should not differ much. That area at the bottom is not open to traffic. I never saw anyone walking on it - crew or otherwise. That should be deck 6 in fact.

We've been on ships with solid balcony walls and it never was a big deal to us. Having the private area is what counted. After a while, I get tired of continually looking out at the water anyway.

We had a corner cabin on deck 7 of the Mariner. The balcony was almost as big as the cabin. Really. It was at least 120 sq ft. Those inside of us had smaller balconies.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:57 PM

As far as the Explorer here is a pic of the stern of the ship. Our room in November will be on the left side in the photo on Deck 9 the balcony with the porthole. The room is on the corner however as in Daves pic there is no super structure in front. The Balcony is shaped as a triangle but its about the view.

Stern Explorer

close up

Balconies on Deck 6 Explorer
Splendour 4-05
Navigator 10-05
Sovereign 5-06

EXPLORER OF THE SEAS 11-3-06

Since I have had a cigarette.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ROYAL_..._CRUISE_GROUP/
Old 01-26-2006, 07:33 AM
Administrator

We had cabin 7680 on the Mariner. Although the ship's deck plan doesn't show it, our balcony was indeed sort of trapizoidal and went all the way out to the side where there is a huge circular opening on the port side. I'll post a photo. I have to upload one first.

Closed Thread

Tags
8, aft, balconies, balcony, cabin, deck, explorer, exployer, obstruction, plan, room, sea, seas, triangle, views