Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2008, 02:20 PM

Two other points - I thought i got everything the first time
We did not have a smart casual night as I expected on the 5 night cruise only one formal and the rest casual. I don't know why, I could of brought a few less things. Also we did buy bonine as suggested by others in cruise chat(the Walgreens brand chewable and children over 12 can take, of course check with your doctor) and it did help especially the first two nights. We did feel the rocking in our cabins 9th floor towards the front of boat, even though the waters were calm and the weather was beautiful. The last two nights weren't as much-perhaps we were use to it.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Welcome back! I am glad to hear you had a great time. The RCI website is not something I'd be proud of if I were them, such as with the incorrect deck plans and other things.

Smart casual is mostly ignored and considered as just another casual night by many passengers - including me. I saw it as an option on our recent cruise but you couldn't tell any difference in the dress. I wish they'd do away with it, and apparently they have on the 5-night Explorer cruises.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:51 PM
Sounds like you had a great cruise, I'm sure you are already planning your next. We are due to sail on the Explorer in April 09 and your review only served to whet our appetites all the more!
Thank You for your nice review and bringing us up to date. Be sure to visit cruise chat often-stay in touch!

BillyBuzzy
Old 08-28-2008, 08:29 PM

Welcome back, I'm happy that you enjoyed the Explorer. Thanks for the great review.

Sonny
Old 08-30-2008, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the update, Cruising! Glad to hear you had a great time. I am also glad to hear that Bayonne is not too difficult of a port. We are driving in from Ohio the day before, so we won't have a long drive to worry about that day.

I know we all are looking more forward to it as it gets closer day by day.

Thanks again!
Mark

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-31-2008, 06:00 AM
I cruised out of Cape Liberty on Explorer in February and it was pretty chilly at the port and on the first sea day, as well as on the last day, but nice in between. We loved leaving out of Bayonne - most organized port we've seen yet. We stayed at the Wyndham Garden Hotel in Newark and left our car there for our 12-day cruise. I'd definitely recommend it. Enjoy!

Booked on NCL Breakaway, Feb. 2014
Carnival Conquest, Feb. 2012
NCL Gem, Sept. 2011
NCL Jewel, Feb. 2011
NCL Dawn, Sept. 2010
NCL Spirit, Feb. 2010
NCL Gem, March 2009
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, Feb. 2008
Carnival Miracle, May 2007
Carnival Conquest, April 2006
Caribbean Princess, Feb. 2005
Old 08-31-2008, 07:19 AM
Cortney-We are sailing out of Port Liberty in April 09 and debating the best method of travel to the port. I hope you don't mind my asking How expensive was it for you to park your car at the hotel? How did you get to and from the ship?How expensive were the transfers?

Presently we are planning to take a bus carrier from New Haven to Port Liberty at a cost of $85/pp round trip.

Any advise you can share will be most appreciated.

Thank You.

BillyBuzzy
Old 08-31-2008, 08:44 AM
Hi Billy! I don't mind at all. Let me double check with the hubby and get back to you. He has a better memory than I do! I believe a certain number of days of free cruise parking were included with the hotel stay, and then we had to pay a bit extra because the cruise was so lengthy. We then took a cab from the Wyndham to the port and vice versa after the cruise. All I can recall was that it was, above and beyond, worth it compared to when we parked at the port in NYC when we went on the Miracle. We're out of town right now but I should be able to give you a better idea of what the cost was when we get home. Always happy to help out where I can - you guys have helped me so much in planning!

We liked the Wyndham so much that we're thinking of staying there again before the Gem cruise, but weren't sure how much it would cost to get a cab from Newark to NYC port...

Booked on NCL Breakaway, Feb. 2014
Carnival Conquest, Feb. 2012
NCL Gem, Sept. 2011
NCL Jewel, Feb. 2011
NCL Dawn, Sept. 2010
NCL Spirit, Feb. 2010
NCL Gem, March 2009
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, Feb. 2008
Carnival Miracle, May 2007
Carnival Conquest, April 2006
Caribbean Princess, Feb. 2005
Old 08-31-2008, 02:12 PM
Cortney-Thank You for responding. We live in central Ct and are fortunate to be close to a rail line, when we go into NYC we find rail and/or bus transport is very practical since parking in NYC and gas prices have risen. For us parking is free at the smaller rail stations and NYC/Newark cruise departures are quite easy,convenient and allow longer cruises for less than travel to Fla. The Explorer cruise is our first from Newark.(Hence my questions) As a result-your responses are extremely invaluable.

BillyBuzzy
Old 09-03-2008, 10:54 AM

Hi I am new to this forum..I am leaving on the explorer Oct. 4th to bermuda out of Jersey.. I just got lots of info from all of you and wanted to say thanks.. One ? to cruisingusa..How formal was the formal night? On NCL formal/optional was anywhere between gowns and dressy pants.. Can anyone further discuss the best tourist sites and best ways to get there please... I hate to give the cruise lines any more $ if we can easily get to these attractions on our own..Thanks

Closed Thread

Tags
adapter, carribean, explorer, kids, march, outlet, plug, review, royal, sea, seas, teen, texting, type, verizon