Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2007, 12:35 PM

Thanks SailorJack, sounds encouraging. How about the ports of call? I could either end up in Barcelona, or Southhampton. The Indendence or the Navigator. Knowing what you have learned; which one would you choose?

Sonny
Old 08-02-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SONNYV:
Thanks SailorJack, sounds encouraging. How about the ports of call? I could either end up in Barcelona, or Southhampton. The Indendence or the Navigator. Knowing what you have learned; which one would you choose?

Sonny
Sonny, that is going to really depend on what you want to do and if you are going to spend any time in Europe.

If up to me, I would take Barcelona. I enjoy the warm weather, the beaches, and good Spanish wine. Plus I worked in Europe for several years ahd spent lots of time in most countries - except Spain and Portugal.

In your boat (no pun intended) I would definetly choose Southhampton. If you have never been to Europe before, then you are going to want to see London. While the weather will probably not be as nice, there is so much more to see and do there than in Barcelona. Not only all of the sights in London, but you are a quick bus ride (or train) to Runnymeade (Magna Carta), Stonehenge, Portsmouth, Stratford-on-Avon, York,etc. Heck, Scotland is only about a 4 hour train ride away.

I don't know what other ports you will be calling on if you go to Southhampton, but I suspect at lest a port in Portual and probably one in France. To Barcelona, you will miss France, but probably also stop in Portugal and several ports in Spain.

Like, I said it depends on what you want to do and how much time you have to do it...but England sounds like the better bet for a first timer.

Let us know what you decide!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-02-2007, 03:18 PM

Thanks, I'll let my wife decide. If we like the transatlantic, we could alway do the other in 2009.

Sonny
Old 08-02-2007, 03:50 PM

If you end up in Southamton, don't forget to see London while in England!
Maybe the best thing is to have the flight from London back to the US, as Southampton often has veery expensive flights compared to London =)
Old 08-02-2007, 07:24 PM

Sonny,

My DH and I are considering a transatlantic cruise next Spring too on the Jewel of the Seas. It is a few days after our 30th anniversary and will include my 55th birthday. Here's the itinerary.

Mar 30 Fort Lauderdale, FL
Mar 31 At Sea
Apr 1-5 At Sea
Apr 6 Ponta Delgada, Portugal (Azores)
Apr 7/8 At Sea
Apr 9 Cork (Cobh), Ireland
Apr 10 Falmouth (Cornwall), England
Apr 11 Paris (Le Havre), France
Apr 12 Zeebrugge, Belgium
Apr 13 Amsterdam, Holland

We chose this one because of its ports of call. We've never been to the Azores or Ireland and would like at least a brief view of them. We are both very interested in WW II history and would like to take the Normandy excursion at the Paris stop. (We've been to Paris several times and my DH had life saving cancer surgery there - another story). And when we end up in Amsterdam we want to go back to Keukenhof Gardens - an absolutely fabulous place. It will be in full bloom at that time. We would take any cruise that would allow us to see Keukenhoff again. If your wife sees the pictures I think your decision will be made. Here's the website.
Keukenhof Gardens

Here is Sailor Jack's wonderfully written review.
My TransAtlantic Crossing on the Brilliance of the Seas

Mary
Old 08-17-2007, 12:26 PM

Agutaya
We too will be on the Jewel TA. It's really great of your DH to take you on a cruise for your 55th. My DW celebrated her 55th as we pulled in the Civitevechia(Rome) from a Spring TA. We both really love TAs. It's a great way to get to Europe. Keukenhof Gardens is on the list of things to doe in Amsterdam. Have you been to any of the other ports?
Old 08-17-2007, 01:30 PM

Mousehunter, we've been to Brussels and may go there again to see some friends briefly. We've also been to Paris various times and would would prefer to see Normandy so won't go back to Paris this time. I'm especially excited about going back to Holland. It's not inexpensive but is worth every eruo.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:34 PM

Agutaya
You're not kidding about prices in Amsterdam! Oh well it's only money and you can't take it with you.
The only port we've been to before is Cohb (Cork). We never miss a chance to go to Ireland! I would rather have stopped at Dublin though.

Does this board have a special thread fore roll calls?

225 Days and Counting till the Party Begins
03/30/2008 Jewel of the Seas
Old 08-18-2007, 11:25 AM

No, there is no special thread for roll calls on cruise-chat. There is a roll callhere on another website.

Closed Thread

Tags
atlantic, azores, caribbean, crossing, cruise, cruises, delgada, november, ponta, review, reviews, royal, smoother, trans, transatlantic, trouble, wear