Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2007, 09:18 PM

I am leaving on November 5 for my first cruise on Sovereign of the Seas for 4 nights. I have read in here and on the RCC website a lot about tipping but none of it has been straightforward. I would just assume set aside my tip money right from the get go, even if I don't give it out until the end of the cruise. So my question is how much am I looking to spend on tips? I don't drink any alcohol so there won't be any bar tipping involved. This is just for the straightforward stuff. I will even accept ranges but I'm looking for a total amount. $100 for the week, $50....just need some idea. Thanks for your help on this
Old 10-21-2007, 09:49 PM

For a four night cruise plan on $40 per person for your onboard tipping to cover your cabin steward, waiter, and assistant waiter. If you were to get a spa treatment you can write in a tip on the bill which would be put on your onboard account. You may not drink alcohol but soda's also have an automatic 15% tip added to the bill.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:55 AM

This brings up another point. If you purchase the soda card, do they still add the tip part to your onboard account?

1992 MV Royal Majesty
1993 MV Royal Majesty
1996 Sun Princess
2007 Liberty of the Seas
2010 Navigator of the Seas
2010 Radiance of the Seas
Old 10-22-2007, 10:19 AM

Just returned from the 4 day Sovereign itinerary and the base tips are $39 per person. The tips are added when you purchase the soda card. Anything that is served to you from a bar or restaurant has a 15% tip added to it.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:45 PM

Thanks. This really helps. I don't drink soda so this won't be an issue for me either. Thanks again for the information; this will help me with my planning.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:13 PM

Hi newbie, first welcome to Cruise-Chat. In addition to the standard tips they'll add to your account there are a couple of other times that add'l tips are customary. At the pier, the porters should recieve a buck or two per bag. It's not a requirement or written anywhere but is still a good idea. Room service is complimentary but the room service staff is not covered by the gratuities on your bill. If you order a couple of bucks is a good idea. Also on tours, the tour directors, same thing.

You'll be amazed how quicly the entire staff of the ship finds out who takes care of the staff and who does not. You'll notice broader smiles from everyone and extra special attention to service and details with just a few dollars that they all truly do appreciate.

Cheers, Neil
Old 10-22-2007, 08:54 PM

So just to make sure I don't mess this up, in addition to the $40 or so dollars I will give out at the end of the cruise it is a good idea to have a few singles and a few of the $2 bills to tip those who have provided extra special service on the ship (and those at the pier)? Have I got this right? Also, do I hand out the tips personally at the end of the week or how exactly would I do that? Thanks for all the help. I'm a newbie at this but I want to make sure I do it right.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:25 PM

Bring a few of the small bills and tip the baggage handlers on the spot. Same with room service people if you order room service, etc. You won't see these people at the end so tip them when they provide a service to you. Assuming you're pleased with their performance. You won't spend much but you'll make the people you encounter very happy to have provided you the service. If you're feeling generous at the end and don't mind sharing a little extra to anyone who went really above and beyond to make your cruise special you can also add to someone of your choice at the end. My wife always takes extra special care of our cabin steward if they do a great job. She says they're the hardest working people on the ship and she can relate to having to pick up after people and clean constantly living with 3 guys (me and my sons). She says and they even smile when they do it!!!

Cheers, Neil

Cheers, Neil
Old 10-28-2007, 01:40 AM

hi newbie,

We will be cruising together. The ship is really nice, i sailed this same ship last year and decided to take my son this year on his first cruise. I just came back from a Disney cruise that was spectacular and now I am lucky enough to travel on this one. You better watch it, you will get hooked. lol I will tell you though that you will have people constantly offering you to buy drinks, I guess thats the only thing i didn't like. They are constantly in your face. Besides that, the staff was wonderful and there are lots of things to do. Do purchase a soda card if you drink sodas, is worth it.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:13 PM

Thank you to everyone for the tips on tipping. I am looking forward to this cruise. I think I will have the time of my life. Thanks again

Closed Thread

Tags
gratuities, line, monarch, sea, seas, seasgratuity, sovereign, sovwrwign