Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2006, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SONNYV:
I use the Concierge for a lot of different things and always tip at the end of the cruise. I believe in tipping and I go ballistic when I see empty chairs in the dining room on the last night, which usually are those that are skipping out on the tip.
Sonny, I'm in total agreement with you. However, when you read the same things regarding tipping (who, when, how much, etc.) over and over, it should not come as a surprise to see those empty chairs if you catch my meaning.

Old 06-27-2006, 01:18 PM

Chuck,
I caught your meaning. I guess the best way to avoid any confusion is to have the travel agent just add the gratuity to the cost of the cruise. At least the minimum tips would be taken care of. So, that would be my suggest for those who are in question on who, when, how much, and etc.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:34 PM

Quote:
have the travel agent just add the gratuity to the cost of the cruise
Ah, there's the rub - it's those same folks that DON'T use a travel agent 'cause they THINK they are saving money! Arrrgggg

Old 06-27-2006, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I believe in tipping and I go ballistic when I see empty chairs in the dining room on the last night, which usually are those that are skipping out on the tip. Mad
My chair has been empty the last night of the cruise, but it has also been empty during every other meal, because we sometimes eat all meals in the Windjammer. I have asked the Maitre d' to put other people at our table so the waiter doesn't miss out on the tips, but I don't know if they do this, or if the seats are kept open in case we change our mind (which we never have).

On one cruise, we ate dinner in the dining room one night (of a 3 night cruise) and ate all other meals in the Windjammer, and stopped off in the dining room the last night just to give the waiter and asst waiter their tips. I wish there were a way we could tell the cruise line in advance that we don't plan to eat in the dining room. Maybe they could keep a table or two open in the dining room for those who say they'll eat all their meals in the Windjammer, and then change their mind. Tips would be per meal in that case, like in a restaurant.

Sandy
Old 06-27-2006, 02:29 PM

This makes me wonder what people do in restaurants, taxi cabs, hotels, airports, on tours, etc. Every dollar I spend tipping is because I appreciate the service. Even when I get an order to go, I tip. If you're taking up someone's time that is working for tips (and the space--empty chairs), they deserve the tip. If you don't feel someone deserves a tip, don't tip. I'm sure someone else will make up the difference if you choose not to. No one but you knows. Best wishes!
Old 06-27-2006, 02:57 PM

Sandy,
The "empty chair" syndrome that we were talking about applies to the chairs that were occupied throughout the cruise and only wind up empty on the last night.

Penny,
Makes me wonder also...

Old 06-27-2006, 05:52 PM

HELLO,

ON OUR MAJESTY 4 NIGHT CURISE ON THE SECOND TO LAST NIGHT THEY HAD PREPAID FORMS TO FILL OUT.YOU THEN TAKE COMPLETED FORMS TO A BOX AT THE PURSERS DESK. THE NEXT DAY THEY HAD PREPAID VOUCHERS ALONG WITH ENVELOPES FOR THE APPROPRIATE PEOPLE THAT SERVED YOU DURING YOUR CRUISE. THESE FORMS ARE ALSO AVAILABLE AT THE PURSERS DESK. DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. IT'S NOT THAT DIFFICULT.

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!

EZE

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 07-02-2006, 05:43 PM

A couple of thoughts about tipping in general.

Just returned from our first cruise on the Explorer. I have never received such outstanding service in all areas. I have dined at some of the finest restaurants in New York and Miami and have seldom received the high level of service we received aboard ship.

I'm retired lower middle class income but grew up around the well educated and well heeled upper class, more than a scattered few of whom I found to be an extreme embarrassment when it came to tipping.

The people who attend you aboard I'm sure not just the Explorer of the Seas, but the overwhelming majority of all of these vessels, fawn over you and treat you as if there's no one else in the world who is more important. Yet these same people are paid relatively next to nothing. Anyone who complains about having to (collectively) tip them (and I've both read and heard such complaints) either is, regardless of their income, more than a mite deficient in the social graces or are so cheap I wouldn't be caught dead out in public with 'em.

Just my two cents.

TDH
Old 07-08-2006, 08:05 PM

We just returned from Majesty of the Seas where we enjoyed a family reunion of 53 of us sailing together. Each evening at dinner we laughed, talked and had fun. However, on the last night, about 1/3 of the group skipped out on dinner. They said they didn't like the assigned seating and wanted to visit with other family members the last night. However, if the real reason was to avoid tipping, how embarrassing. I hate to think that they really did that.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:49 AM

We found the easiest way to tip is add it on your seapass by going to the information desk and letting them know thats what you perfer. Then they will send vouchers w/ envelopes to your stateroom for each person to tip and you just put the vouchers in the envelopes and hand them out at dinner and such. Know though if you are buying drinks on board (poolside) throughout the week when the bartender gives you your recipt you tip them at that time. Hope this helps !!!

Closed Thread

Tags
ballistic, caribbean, carribean, cruise, day, end, envelope, envelopes, pay, receive, royal, steward, tip, tips, waiter