Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2006, 07:58 PM

I've been reading several older posts about tipping and now I'm more confused then ever.

I know I don't tip until the last day. Is there a way to charge my tips on my Sea Pass card or should it be done in cash? What do the employees getting the tips prefer? I remember seeing something about receiving envelopes but I can't find the post. Help!

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 06-24-2006, 08:07 PM

You can pre-pay your tips before you leave on your cruise. Check with your travel agent as to how to do that.

The last day of the cruise, your room steward will put envelopes in your room. Each envelope will have printing on the front, such as "room steward," "waiter," etc. If you have pre-paid your tips, you'll also receive vouchers on the last day. You'll put each person's voucher into the appropriate envelope. For example, one voucher will say "waiter" and you'll put that one in the envelope labeled "waiter" and take it to the dining room to give your waiter.

If you have not pre-paid your tips, you will put the appropriate amount of cash into each labeled envelope. Current suggestions include $3.50 per person per night of the cruise for the waiter, same for the room steward, and $2.00 per person per night for the assistant waiter. They also make suggestions for the Head Waiter, Chief Cabin Steward, and Maitre d' of the restaurant. Tip those if they've given you special service, but I suggest you always tip the room steward, waiter and assistant waiter.

Sandy
Old 06-24-2006, 08:18 PM

I'm pretty sure that RCCL is one of the cruise lines that posts the recommended tipping amounts to your shipboard account automatically. If you wish to change those amounts, you must make arrangements with the purser's office sometime before the last night of the cruise.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:50 PM

Karen, as of January 2006, that was not the case. NCL posts tips automatically, but not RCI, unless things have changed since January. The groups I've put on RCI this year have had the option of pre-paying the tips, but no mention has been made of automatic tipping.

Sandy
Old 06-25-2006, 02:02 AM

You have to fill in a form and bring it to the front desk, that you will add the tips at the end of your cruise to your account and you get the envelopes and the vouchers the day before the arrival at the port.

Marita

Old 06-25-2006, 10:36 PM

That's correct, Royal Caribbean does not automatically add the tips.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:05 AM

In addition to the folks mentioned above, on cruises with tipping, I also tip the cocktail waiter/waitress where I've done most of my boozing as well as the deck steward that has (most often) taken care of my needs on deck.

Old 06-26-2006, 07:14 PM

I agree with ChucksOK. I've always tipped extra for the cocktail waiter/waitress, and they remember my preferences (and my name). I also try and tip my cabin steward on the second day while asking for something little, like a second bucket of ice, extra towels, etc. Remember, these folks work for small wages and depend on your tips. Kind words that express your appreciation and a small tip at the right time works wonders for extra service.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Luv2Cruise2007:
That's correct, Royal Caribbean does not automatically add the tips.
We just returned from a cruise on Serenade of the seas. I have to disagree with your statement- Royal Carribean does not automatically add tips.They do -- on every drink, cigarettes, etc. They add 15 percent on your bill,even in the dining room if you have a drink with dinner you Pay! The stateroom attendant, waiter, head water, assistant waiter, are the ones they ask you to tip at your own discrepency. They have a sheet that they pass around with their recommendations for tipping!
Old 06-27-2006, 08:46 AM

I use the Concierge for a lot of different things and always tip at the end of the cruise. I believe in tipping and I go ballistic when I see empty chairs in the dining room on the last night, which usually are those that are skipping out on the tip.

Closed Thread

Tags
ballistic, caribbean, carribean, cruise, day, end, envelope, envelopes, pay, receive, royal, steward, tip, tips, waiter