Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 02:00 AM

I am trying to get organized for our Royal Caribbean "Explorer of the Seas" Caribbean Cruise in July 2009 and am curious to what I need to buy for my sons. One is 17 and the other is 13. Is it dress shoes or more comfortable rubber (dressy) sole? Do they need sports jackets, if so how many? Do I pack coctail dresses, gowns...what? My husband...suits, ties a tuxedo...what? Help?
Old 02-27-2009, 02:00 AM

I am trying to get organized for our Royal Caribbean "Explorer of the Seas" Caribbean Cruise in July 2009 and am curious to what I need to buy for my sons. One is 17 and the other is 13. Is it dress shoes or more comfortable rubber (dressy) sole? Do they need sports jackets, if so how many? Do I pack coctail dresses, gowns...what? My husband...suits, ties a tuxedo...what? Help?
Old 02-27-2009, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Look at our Dress Code FAQ which also has a link to the RCI dress suggestions.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:59 AM

Hello Carmen, welcome to Cruise-Chat! Dressing up on formal night is something some people take very serious, and some don't. Formal night is when you get professional picture taken, so you probably would want to consider that. I just got off a 2 week cruise on the Independence and didn't dress up even once, however, my wife did pack my white dinner jacket because it's lighter than my tux. Another thing to consider is that the airlines are charging for check-in luggage. $15 for the first and $25 for the second—that's per person. One sport jacket with a tie or mock turtle neck would work fine for the guys. For yourself, what ever you have, a cocktail dress or gown will work. Sometimes we just need to have an excuse to go shopping...

Sonny

Old 02-27-2009, 09:07 AM

Hi Carmena610,

Was on the Explorer of the Seas a three years back with my then boys 11 and 16 and both boys loved getting gussied up for formal dinners. Both wore suit and ties. Be it white ties and red ties. Older guy had dress shoes and younger guy had dress shoes (black ones with rubber soles that he uses for school). I think there were two formal nights on that seven day cruise. My husband wore black suit and myself fancy black dress that I would normally wear to weddings, Xmas party. Other nights to eat in dining room, boys wore dress pants (dark or khaki) with a shirt and tie - usually a black shirt and a colorful tie. They loved getting dressed up and I saw a lot of young lads dressed that way. For myself - I bring a beige and a black jacket and coordinate mix and match with flowing skirt or sleeveless dress underneath. Works well, because diningroom always freezing. Husband wore sports suit jacket and different dress pants or khakis with sport jacket. When, you think about it, how often is there an occasion back home to dress up - works out to be fun. Of course, there were on the non formal nights teens who wore a golf shirt with dress pants and dress shoes that was appropriate too. But no logo shirts type of thing. Hope this helps. Explorer is a huge ship with lots for your kids to do. My boys had a blast, my older guy made friends that he still emails. Have a great trip.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:24 AM

We had a 16 year old boy at our table on the EOS and he wore dark slacks and a dress shirt (tucked in) on formal night, and some docs or dockers type shoes. Not really dressed up, but he made and effort and looked just fine. I see tux and suits on these young guys but when will they wear it again, and what a pain to pack it. I think the expectation is a bit higher for adults, however. My husband wears a dark sport coat, white shirt, tie, and gray slacks. He is dressed appropriately for what we see around the dining room. I wear a black cocktail dress,short. I see "prom" and "mother of the bride" beaded feathered dresses, but those are not the majority. Non formal nights I wear casual knit dresses or capris with a nicer top. My husband wears polo and docker pants with his comfy shoes (not tennis shoes).
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 02-27-2009, 09:07 PM

The 2 formal nights can range from formal ball gowns & tuxedos to a dressy shirt and skirt. My son had a basic black suit, a white shirt and a nice tie which he wore both nights since he took it off right after dinner. He had black shoes but any dark shoes will do...I've seen kids with sneakers on. Most people dress as if they were going to a very formal wedding. My husband purchased a tuxedo and has used it for the past 8 years which saved in the long run. I have a black flowing, long skirt and a black pair of chiffon pilazzo pants and I wear different dressy tops. That way, if you decide to go again, you can just get some new evening tops. I usually get my tops during the holidays because they are hard to find other times of the year. Try to limit the shoes because they weigh a ton in the bags and 50 lbs isn't that much. I wear my black evening shoes several times on a trip.

You will also find that you will not be using many outfits during the day, especially if you go on excursions that involve swimming. Bring a couple of bathing suits and coverups. The coverups are important on the days by the pool so you can go to the Windjammer for lunch or snacks...can't walk around in a bathing suit other than at the pool. I always pack too many clothes. Also, don't bother bringing an iron...they will confiscate it at the pier and you will be able to claim it when you dock.

Hope this was some help!
Carnival Sensation 2002
Explorer 2003
Explorer 2004
Adventure 2005
Freedom 2006
Vision 2007
Jewel 2008
Liberty B2B 2009
Solstice B2B 2010

Old 02-27-2009, 09:11 PM

OOps! Sorry for the strange code at the end of my post...did something wrong with the cruise ticker!
Carnival Sensation 2002
Explorer 2003
Explorer 2004
Adventure 2005
Freedom 2006
Vision 2007
Jewel 2008
Liberty B2B 2009
Solstice B2B 2010

Old 02-27-2009, 09:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jerseygirl74:
OOps! Sorry for the strange code at the end of my post...did something wrong with the cruise ticker!

What strange code?

Sonny

Old 02-28-2009, 12:35 AM

Your are funny!

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, code, cruise, dress, formal, night, teens, teens17