Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 05:16 PM

Well, Dave, I hope you never need our services!

Personally, I wouldn't buy this excursion -- well, not before this hurricane season has passed anyway. The plants need several months to settle in and grow root systems that can withstand tropical storms. Besides, it's too hot to be working in the sun or to install new landscapes right now. Sorry, RCCL.

The sea life and clear water (or the golf course and its croc-habitat water hazards) is really what a visit to this island is all about. And you're right: Maintaining services is top priority for use of donations to our Red Cross.

If any of your cruises dock at the Puerta Maya or Punta Longosta piers and you see a Red Cross volunteer collecting there, stop and say "Hola" -- chances are very good that the volunteer will be me!
Hasta Pronto.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Administrator

We'll be at Cozumel on July 15, from 10am to 5pm on the Carnival Elation. Since it is Carnival that usually means either Puerta Maya or Punta Longosta. We'll be looking for you! Actually I'd like to meet you now that you've taken the time to join this forum and offer some insights on this program. I'll be there with my wife and son, and in addition our other administrator and her family will be aboard. I promise to bring you more money.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:26 PM

Thanks again. Elation has been coming into Puerta Maya lately but that doesn't really mean much! We collect during the 2 1/2-3 hours leading up to final boarding.
It's very likely that I'll be in NY for most of July. If I can't make it that day, I'll ask my friend Karen to be there to meet you. She should be easy to spot -- she'll be wearing a white vest with large red cross on the front & on the back.
Hope you have a great time on your cruise!!!
Old 06-15-2010, 08:36 AM

If it feels good and doesn't hurt anyone...why not

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-21-2010, 01:19 PM

As a veteran of several mission type trips I would like to address Poormom's concerns. My family just paid about $1000 a person to travel to Haiti in May, and previously have traveled both to Mexico and Alaska in this capacity, at our expense. The problem with your assertion is that in may instances your acquaintance's teen may very well be more highly skilled than the available expert, and certainly less corrupt. Skilled labor of any kind is in short supply in many areas. The money so earnestly donated may have dwindled to nothing by the time the red tape clears.

My family's experience in Haiti underscores this completely. The people in the tent cities (a grave misnomer for the sticks and rags the citizens were living under) were receiving no aid. Our hours spent stapling tarps over their shelters in the rainy season changed their lives, quite literally. Those big organizations had heavy equipment there, inside of fences sitting static, and no one was distributing food or clothing. This was a smaller tent city, maybe 2500 people. We also brought hope. We prayed with people and assured them that the world cares. We played with their children, and gave children whose schools were rubble an afternoon of soccor, coloring, bubble blowing or even just running and acting like normal children for a few hours. Aid is often as much about a person's morale and spirit as it is practical skill.

And the return is worth every dollar and hour spent. They shared their joy, their goodness, their unwillingness to let this awful disaster define them as a people.

Previously we helped build a church in Mexico in a rural community. Their was no one to hire, even if they had the means. The people had all they could do to care for themselves. They received our unskilled offering joyfully.

Corporate aid is a marvelous thing, but it often does not trickle down. Roll up your sleeves and give of yourself. You will come back richer than you could have imagined.

RCCL's plan may be just the thing to help get someone thinking about what they can do.
Princess x 1
Old 06-21-2010, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Laurie,

Is there a reason you have opened a new account? Spoheat is still active.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
spo-heating
Excellent Post spo-heating. I agree 100%.

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, charity, cruise, excursion, excursions, goodwill, john, line, review, reviews, royal, st, voluntourism