Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2007, 07:44 PM

I am new to cruising. My husband and I are taking the 12 night southern caribbean cruise with RCI on February 24. Is there anyone that has been on the Explorer of the Seas and/or going on the same cruise?

Cayman Islands Trip Reports
Old 08-09-2007, 07:58 PM

I was on the Explorer of the Seas last March. She's a big one. You will love it. I only wish I were on the 12 day.
Leigh

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Imagination Mar. 09
Carnival Destiny Nov. 2008
Carnival Liberty March 2008
Carnival Freedom Nov 2007
Explorer of the Sea Mar 2007
Carnival Fascination Nov. 2006
Grand Princess Feb 4 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb 2005
TSS Atlas 1988
Discovery 1983

Old 08-10-2007, 04:28 PM
I'll be just a few weeks ahead of you...I'm on the 12-day cruise leaving February 3! I'll let you know how it is when we get back. It seems so far away still...

Booked on NCL Breakaway, Feb. 2014
Carnival Conquest, Feb. 2012
NCL Gem, Sept. 2011
NCL Jewel, Feb. 2011
NCL Dawn, Sept. 2010
NCL Spirit, Feb. 2010
NCL Gem, March 2009
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, Feb. 2008
Carnival Miracle, May 2007
Carnival Conquest, April 2006
Caribbean Princess, Feb. 2005
Old 08-14-2007, 09:59 AM

Hi Ginababe, we did Explorer (7 night) in April and found the Ship, crew, accomodations, and just about everything just GREAT. This was the biggest ship we have been on thus far but we checked out lots of reviews and the layout so that we could try to take as much in as possible. We have only done 7 day cruises and envy you and the 12; have a great time.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-15-2007, 09:02 PM

Hello Gina,
just returned from our (15 yr. old son and 44 yr. old Mom) first cruise on the Explorer OTS. Fantastic ship with much to do, see and eat

BUT (yes, here comes the but!)Read up as much as possible on everything you wish to do. If I would ever cruise RCCL again (and I will explain why) I would not book any excursions while on the ship. You can do it ahead of time online (cheaper) or while on land (also cheaper). Valuables: make sure you handcarry them on when first embarking! While visiting ports, be very careful at the security checkpoints upon return and never leave the conveyor belts out of your sight. I did and paid a high price when returning from the St. Thomas (best place to shop!) excursion. Had several shopping bags, placed them on the belt, grabbed them on the other side, never realizing that one was missing until we returned to the cabin. Of course, this one had a set of very expensive his/hers matching watches, as well as an underwater digital camera casing and several souvenir/clothing articles in it. Upon discovering that a bag (most bags look the same, regular white, thin plastic) was missing, proceeded to the Customer Service Station. Thought that maybe another guest may have grabbed the wrong bag? Possible, but wishfull thinking. The bag was gone and I was told "you didn't seriously think someone would turn in such valuables". Wow! Not the kind of treatment I expected from an employee of such high profile cruise line. And to think that our trip already started out on a sour note... this was the icing on the cake! Only this cake was baked with salt instead of sugar
Due to my being disabled, had booked a stateroom that should accomodate my special needs; however, booking was made online and not via an agent. Big mistake! Lesson learned!
Long story, but one full of advice
My cruise is over and yours is just to begin... So, did that turn me off or away from cruising? Heck no! I just have to prepare more careful and keep my eyes open at all times. Cruising is, in my eyes, still the most luxerious way to travel (and I travel overseas quite often as I am from Germany and my family is still there) So, take into consideration my advice and I am sure you will come back with the biggest smiles and the happiest memories.
Good luck, have fun and enjoy
MsB.
P.S. In case you guys wonder, yes, I did write a long letter to RCCL, explaining above circumstances but haven't had a positive feeback as of yet Oh well, life! Live, love, and learn
Old 08-16-2007, 04:00 AM

thank you for the advice - I will be cautious of getting on/off the ship - remembering what to take on shore and keeping track of all bags. I'm glad the ship is great - as for being a first timer (and a bit over-zealous) I have researched the internet for 3 months before booking with RCI,and I'm thankful for everyone's input - it really helps us newbies.

Cayman Islands Trip Reports
Old 08-17-2007, 03:47 PM

We were on EOS out of NJ in October of 2006 on a 5 day Bermuda. I envy those who can do 12 days (not enough relatives to watch the kids for that long) and probably too many days for them. The Explorer is a fantastic ship. It's easy to get around and we didn't buy anything on shore so didn't have any problems there. Take the time to truly explore the ship and have a great time.

Closed Thread

Tags
explorer, leigh, seas