Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 02:10 PM

Just wondering how much of this stuff we should take on board. We are going on a 7-day cruise and plan to take these pills in a precautionary way...i.e. before we actually need it.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 02-01-2009, 02:35 PM
you probably won't need any.
They will make you very tired. The ships usually have bins of them, but if you REALY need them, you'll want some accessable so you don't have to wander around.
If you're really concerned, ask your doctor for some patches. If you're queasy the last thing you'll want to do is take a pill!

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers
Old 02-01-2009, 03:08 PM

But they have non-drowsy type too. So, it is available onboard?
Is it free, or should we just bring our own supply?

Old 02-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Teal,
If you think you may need them I would get a small bottle so you know you have them should you need them. They are not free. In all my crusies I have needed to take just a couple. I only take 1 if I start to feel a little seasick and I am fine. Four of us on one cruise tried the patch, it was awful for all four of us, dry cotton mouth, feeling lousy, my daughter and husband had blurred vision, which is a side effect, so for us we will never do the patch again. This is just our opinion. We all took that nasty patch off on the 3nd day and felt so much better !

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 02-02-2009, 05:53 AM

You can also try the natural remedies, ginger and green apples. You can get ginger candy in health food stores, as well as pills. I doubt you'll need anything, though.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:19 AM

Penny's right--you probably won't need anything. I get sick in a movie with lots of camera angles--I mean I am REALLY sensitive to motion--and I take half of a less-drowsy Bonine (some flight attendants told me this was more effective that Dramamine but have never done my own comparison) sometimes. My family doesn't use anything. You can always start with half and add more if you start to feel rocky. Why overmedicate?

You will see people with patches. They are just plain awful. Dry mouth, cruddy! and if you touch it and touch your eye it will dialate your eye (great in the sunshine You just don't need all the medication in your system when you are trying to enjoy, remember, and stay awake during your cruise! I went to the ship's doctor many years ago on a small, unstable ship (Nordic Prince, launched in the 70's), and the first thing he did was rip the patch off. He said in his beautiful swedish accent "you stupid Americans and your patches! No Good!" He gave me the 24 hour Bonine and sent me on my way. I have never had problems though on the larger, newer ships with the stabilizers.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Old 02-02-2009, 07:22 AM

Something important to remember--if you take a longer boat ride--an afternoon excursion, or the power ferry that runs between Cozumel and the mainland, for instance--this will not have the same stabilizers as your wonderful ship. I don't have trouble with the excursion boats or tenders as they are "open air" but some of these other boats are wicked for me.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Old 02-02-2009, 09:34 AM

Ok, thanks everyone. I'm not really that worried, just thought I'd get some feedback about it.

Closed Thread

Tags
boat, bring, cruise, doctor, dramaine, dramamine, good, gravol, minnesota, patch, patches, pills, reviews, ride, shouls