Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2004, 08:49 PM

Unlike most of those who seem to frequent this chat board, I and my husband are generally short term cruisers. Meaning we love to take the quick weekend getaway or a week here and there. We have not taken anything longer than a 7-day cruise so we have been relegated to the older ships in the RCCL line. While we would love to try one of the new lines it just not in the cards at this point.

That being said, we will be sailing the refurbed Monarch of the Seas for the first time in January. RCCL has a steal of a deal going for a 4 day and we couldn't resist! We have a category I cabin very near the front of the ship. Not crazy about that, but its what was avaiable. Does anyone have any experience with the "new" Monarch? Our daughter will join us for her first cruise, she will be six. Should we keep trying to find a more mid-section cabin for her sake, we are concerned about noise and motion sickness, or do you think she will be fine? Final question, what do you think a six year old, in general, would enjoy more for an excursion in San Diego the SD Zoo or the SD Wild Animal Park?
Old 06-09-2004, 08:49 PM

Unlike most of those who seem to frequent this chat board, I and my husband are generally short term cruisers. Meaning we love to take the quick weekend getaway or a week here and there. We have not taken anything longer than a 7-day cruise so we have been relegated to the older ships in the RCCL line. While we would love to try one of the new lines it just not in the cards at this point.

That being said, we will be sailing the refurbed Monarch of the Seas for the first time in January. RCCL has a steal of a deal going for a 4 day and we couldn't resist! We have a category I cabin very near the front of the ship. Not crazy about that, but its what was avaiable. Does anyone have any experience with the "new" Monarch? Our daughter will join us for her first cruise, she will be six. Should we keep trying to find a more mid-section cabin for her sake, we are concerned about noise and motion sickness, or do you think she will be fine? Final question, what do you think a six year old, in general, would enjoy more for an excursion in San Diego the SD Zoo or the SD Wild Animal Park?
Old 06-17-2004, 10:58 AM

Hello, my husband, 13 y/o son and I went on 4 day baja on Monarch end of last June. That was my 1st cruise, we were on deck 3, cat H. I did not here any noise. I get car sick pretty easily, so I took Non Drowsy Dramamine. On the 1st day, I din't take the dramamine. Later as the day went on, I started to feel sea sick, after a Margarita or two. So, every day I took the Dramamine, I never felt sick anymore. We just got back from Explorer of the Seas 7 day. With the Dramamine everyday I was great, and our cabin was on the 10th deck. I didn't think the non drowsy would be as effective, but it worked for me. I would call your pediatrician, and ask them if dramamine (maybe 1/2 a dose), or any other drug is ok for your 6 y/o. If she gets motion sickness, the time and $ for a prescription is worth it, to avoid misery. I thought the Monarch was beautiful. The younger kids really seem to enjoy the activities. If the cabin noise is an issue, your daughter will probably be to pooped out, and will be out like a light. Our cruise was the last week of June, very hot during the day, but once the sun went down on the ship it was freezing and windy. My husband was even cold. I'm sure January will be cold, especially at night. Have fun, Lori

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
avoid, beer, cabins, category, day, deck, dramine, explorer, forums, front, monarch, sea, seas, seasick, ship, sick