Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2007, 04:41 PM

Some time back, I discussed the hierarchy of cruises and concluded that the Atlantic Crossing was truly the "King of Cruises".

However, a new contender has popped up on my radar screen. As everyone must know by now, the Mariner of the Seas is doing a 346 and 3/4 day repositioning cruise,and, in so doing, will be sailing around Cape Horn in South America.

The fare is slightly less than the combined gross national product of the countries it will be visiting, but I have decided to preview this cruise (on a competing cruise line)to see if a cruise that begins in the tropics of Buenos Aires, transgresses the Straits of Magellan (which is reputed to be particularly hazardous, owing to strong winds, large waves, strong currents and icebergs)and ends in the vinyards of Chile can equal or surpass an Atlantic Crossing.

To avoid the problem of muliple bags to handle clothing for the four seasons we will be encountering on the trip, I have failed to mention to SailorJill the Cape Horn part of the trip...billing it as a December getaway to the luscious and verdent tropics of South America. (Also avoiding the inevitable cost of new cold weather clothes such as fur-lined parkas, designer winter boots, cashmere scarves, pashmina shawls, and Angora hats).

If any of you have sailed this route before, I would be delighted if you could share some pointers on what are the musts and must nots.

(I know Sailor Jill will be particularly interested in outstanding in-door activities).

PS. Does anyone know if I can bring an iron on board with me?

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 10-10-2007, 05:31 PM

Unless they change the rules for this one cruise, you are not allowed to bring an iron because it is considered a fire hazard.

1992 MV Royal Majesty
1993 MV Royal Majesty
1996 Sun Princess
2007 Liberty of the Seas
2010 Navigator of the Seas
2010 Radiance of the Seas
Old 10-10-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SailorJack:
PS. Does anyone know if I can bring an iron on board with me?

Sonny
Old 10-11-2007, 06:55 AM

Sailor Jack, what a wonderful adventure. If Sailor Jill will allow, I'd be happy to go with y'all and do laundry I've watched some travel channel specials about sailing around the cape. Some passages are smooth, while others are quite tedious. I know we have members that have sailed around the horn, so hopefully they will see this post. How many ports do you visit? Will you take extra empty luggage for Sailor Jill to fill or are you just shipping purchases home? When and where do you embark? If y'all will take me, you won't need an iron. I'll use the facilities in the crew areas.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:38 AM

Penny, you are welcome to come and we will split laundry detail! The fare is an unbelievable $699 for 14 days (oceanview room - no balcanies available). Including Buenos Aires and Valparaiso there are 8 ports - including stops in Uruguay, Falkland Islands ( to visit the famous global warming goat herds)and additional stops in Argentina and Chile.

As Sonny noted, I was joking about the iron.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:54 AM

I knew you were kidding about the iron , that is totally an unbelievable fare. What ship is that on? Is air fare a killer? December would be their summer, so this is sounding really, really interesting. I was going to do a Christmas/New Years cruise next year on the Grand Princess, but this could be another consideration.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by penny3333:
I knew you were kidding about the iron , that is totally an unbelievable fare. What ship is that on? Is air fare a killer? December would be their summer, so this is sounding really, really interesting. I was going to do a Christmas/New Years cruise next year on the Grand Princess, but this could be another consideration.
The ship is the Norwegian Dream. Right now, it looks like airfare is going to be $1,323 if you buy it on your own.

If you do everything through NCL it comes to $2,426 - including cruise, port charges, taxes, airfare, and transfers at both ends. Because of the open jaw international air, the total package is relaively expensive, but compared to what I have seen for other ships on the same route, this is a steal. Royal Caribbean is doing the same route (but reversed) in November for $1,629 plus tax - nearly a $1,000 more.

The $699 fare includes port charges, but not taxes (which are $99). While still expensive, I don't know how someone can ever do this cruise any cheaper.

Reviews on the Norwegian Dream appear to be pretty good...but the ship can't compare to some of the newer RCL ships.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SailorJack:
quote:
Originally posted by penny3333:
I knew you were kidding about the iron , that is totally an unbelievable fare. What ship is that on? Is air fare a killer? December would be their summer, so this is sounding really, really interesting. I was going to do a Christmas/New Years cruise next year on the Grand Princess, but this could be another

consideration.
ship is the Norwegian Dream. Right now, it looks like airfare is going to be $1,323 if you buy it on your own.

If you do everything through NCL it comes to $2,426 - including cruise, port charges, taxes, airfare, and transfers at both ends. Because of the open jaw international air, the total package is relaively expensive, but compared to what I have seen for other ships on the same route, this is a steal. Royal Caribbean is doing the same route (but reversed) in November for $1,629 plus tax - nearly a $1,000 more.

The $699 fare includes port charges, but not taxes (which are $99). While still expensive, I don't know how someone can ever do this cruise any cheaper.

Reviews on the Norwegian Dream appear to be pretty good...but the ship can't compare to some of the newer RCL ships.

---------------------
I just had to get in here: You DO look at Kayak.com and Itasoftware.com for airlines...

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 10-11-2007, 01:57 PM

don't know where my message went to but I wanted to put in my 5 cents worth on the flights: You DO look at kayak.com and itasoftware. com.... they are good for bargains..

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 10-12-2007, 11:01 AM

That's still not a bad price. The Grand is $2849/pp 14 day Caribbean, balcony, no air fare. I'm definitely going to check into it. Thanks Sailor Jack

Closed Thread

Tags
15, airfare, austrailia, cruise, cruises, florida, horn, jack, jill, problems, review, round, sailor, sailorjack, ship