Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   Boarding in San Juan for Adventure of the Seas (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/12799-boarding-san-juan-adventure-seas.html)

JoDee 09-08-2005 09:43 AM

We will be arriving in San Juan on Saturday and departing on the Adventurer on Sunday. The ship sails at 10:00pm. Can we drop off our luggage sunday morning at the terminal and then tour? Or do we need to check in first and then debark the ship to see the sights of san juan? Thanks for the help.

kclvt 09-08-2005 12:05 PM

When are you going? I am booked on AOS for April 9th...Can't wait!

Lana537 09-09-2005 10:13 PM

Check your paperwork. It may be possible that although the ship departs at 10PM, you may need to be on board by a time much earlier than that.

This is important! Do not "miss" the ship.

If I were in your position, I would arrive at the pier at 11AM and board as soon as possible in the early afternoon. This gives you the time to check out your stateroom and your table assignment in the dining room. Once you are settled you should be able to leave the ship again to tour the area. But do not take my word for this leaving once you are "checked in".

I've been to the San Juan area many times---there is a lot of shopping to do, but perhaps not much else on the day of sailing.

May I suggest that you see what you can of San Juan on that Saturday that you arrrive and leave Sunday for the enjoyment of the Advenrure----settle in and spend the time enjoying the Solarium Pool.

Lana

jbrooks175 09-10-2005 04:16 AM

You can check in, get settled and then go back off the boat to enjoy the sights in San Juan if you'd like!
Post a review when you get back please, I'm also going on Adventure in March 06.
Have Fun!

JoDee 09-13-2005 12:46 PM

We are sailing on January 29, 2006. Wish we were on the ship with you in April. There are 10 of us going. It is going to be fun.
JoDee

kclvt 09-14-2005 05:36 AM

Is it going to be real warm in the Southern Caribbean in the beginning of April? I would love to go in the winter but then it would be tooooooo long between cruises....

mooneydiva 09-15-2005 02:23 PM

We just got back from the AOS cruise out of San Juan. You are going to LOVE IT!!

We arrived in SJ on Saturday, toured Old San Juan Sat. afternoon and evening, and walked the beach/swam Sunday morning. We got on the ship Sunday around 1:30 pm. It took us fewer than 15 minutes to hand in our luggage, get our SeaPass card, and get on board.

They tell you that you can get off again as long as you are back on board by a certain time. I forget what time it is as we didn't leave, but you have to be there for the muster drill. The terminal is not really close enough to walk anywhere, although it is a short cab ride to Old San Juan.

My suggestion would be to see what you want to see on Saturday. I think they allow you to start boarding at noon or 1:00 pm, and they have a lunch buffet available in the Windjammer Cafe as soon as you board. You can visit your stateroom after 2:00 pm. All of the pools are open, and there are a lot of things on board to see and do. . . .You know they have a fitness center, rock climbing wall (It was not open Sun. afternoon.), miniature golf, rollerblade center, etc. And, you can view excursion videos and such in your room.

We found the crew absolutely wonderful. We did not like the fact that they charged extra for soda or juice($1.50 per drink or $42 per week per adult) and that they didn't have irons or laundry facilities. Other than that, we had a great week. Make sure you see the ice show. It really is good!!

I hope this helps!!

kclvt 09-15-2005 02:52 PM

I can't wait - what excursions did you do?

JoDee 09-20-2005 02:14 PM

Thanks for all of the help. I will let you know all of my recommendations when I return. It really helps to talk to people that have already been on this cruise.
JoDee

mooneydiva 10-04-2005 07:09 PM

Quote:

I can't wait - what excursions did you do?
So sorry I am late in answering your query about the excursions. . . .We had a death in the family, and I am just getting back to this board.

We did excursions in St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Antigua and Barbados. We did not do one in
St. Lucia. We wanted to see as much of the islands as we cold, so we didn't opt for any real beach excursions. In the first two ports, we did tours of the islands, including tours of historic areas. Both ended with drop-offs in the shopping districts. In Antigua, we swam with the stingrays. That was WONDERFUL. In Barbados, we toured the island and the Foursquare Rum Distillery.

I didn't hear anything bad from anyone regarding the excursions.

I highly recommend taking an excursion in St. Lucia. We decided that we just wanted to go downtown. Yuck. Castries made Tijuana look enticing.