Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2006, 07:40 AM

Hello, I am so happy I found this forum, I have learned so much!

My question is, what does "tendered" mean and how does that differ from docked?

My husband and our 3 year old son will be taking a 7 night western caribbean cruise next year on Royal Caribbean. The ship we would like to take is the "Freedom Of The Seas". Has anyone had experience with that ship or are they all about the same?

This could be a once in a lifetime cruise, so I want to make the most out of it for us!

Thank you so much,
Linda

10-14-07 Freedom of the Seas
10-04-08 Liberty of the Seas
Old 07-29-2006, 09:18 AM

Tendered means that the ship will drop anchor offshore and they will use a "shuttle" (tender) using a smaller boat to take you from the ship to the shore and back.
I haven't been on Freedom but from the reviews it is an awsome ship. It could be the "cruise of a lifetime". ENJOY!

Celebrity Eclipse March 5, 2011
Serenade of the Seas Oct 23, 2011
Old 07-29-2006, 01:50 PM

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for my ignorance, but when you get on a tender is it like climbing into a lifeboat and being lowered down onto the water? Does it take a long time for all of the passengers to get off/on?

Thank you

10-14-07 Freedom of the Seas
10-04-08 Liberty of the Seas
Old 07-29-2006, 02:56 PM

The tender boat is on the water and you will enter it from a gang plank from the ship. You will have to step down a few steps to get into the tender. Right now the Freedom is the largest ship on the seas. Next year it will have a sister shp "Liberty of the Seas" Have a wonderful cruise.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:06 PM

Hi Wesnlin,
It does take a while to get people on/off the ship when you have a tender port. However, they are very efficient. They usually use 2-3 of the lifeboats on board which hold a good amount of people. On the Freedom they may even use more and have more than one station. I've not sailed on her, so I can't say for sure. There will be crew there to assist you in/out of the tender. Have a wonderful cruise!
Old 07-31-2006, 02:29 PM

We had one tender port, the shuttle boat pulls up next to the cruise ship and their is a ramp connecting the ship to the boat with railings, so you can't step off the side accidently. The ship has employees helping everyone on and off the boat and ship. As one shuttle boat filled up (200 passengers) and pulled away, another shuttle boat pulled up. The process goes pretty quick.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:55 PM

Think of it as a WATER TAXI from the ship to shore and back.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:59 AM

Great Analogy SonnyV.......Exactly.
Doesn't take as long to get to dock as it does coming back if you wait until the last minute to try to get back to the tender boat. Long lines. Maybe go an hr before the last tender boat is to leave to ship. might lessen the strain. Have a fantastic cruise. Freedom is a huge ship & its like being in a small city on the ocean. You won't even know you're cruisin' except for all the fun you'll have & all the nice people you'll meet. Some might be friends for life!!!!!!

Closed Thread

Tags
back, boat, cruise, cruises, cruising, crusing, docked, liberty, long, mean, means, seas, ship, tender, tendered, tendering, tenders