Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 06:19 AM

I would use the walkie talkies. Cell phones would cost you charges and roaming fees.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:24 AM

You would need an international cell plan to not get socked with long distance. Also some ships have their own cell system so you will find a charge for minutes used by that provider--like an access charge. Walkie talkies may be the best bet--but a lot of people have them and I noticed someone would hear mom--a lot of women would respond, and it took a few secs to sort out whose kid was on. Only so many frequencies are available, you know?

Titanium is an inert, nonmagnetic, metal. It should not cause and alarm to go off. I worked at an orthopedic clinic and we did provide people with a wallet sized card indicating they had internal metal as a just in case. Your doctor should have something similar.

I traveled with medication and supplements not in their original bottles. Not a good idea--the drug sniffing dogs are trained to detect certain "green" preparations, and some of their noses are not discriminating between drugs and herbals for health. It did not become a problem, but did slow us down some in customs. Now everything is in original bottles in my carry-on.

I would never trust a prescription medication in a luggage that did not stay with me at all times until I personally deposit it in my room.

Also understand that this is not like a hotel--you will not have the option of ferrying your own luggage to your room, it will be parted from you for several hours before reappearing OUTSIDE your door. I second the idea posed above of NO valuables in the case.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Titanium is an inert, nonmagnetic, metal. It should not cause and alarm to go off.
Newer model detectors can detect both ferrous and non-ferrous metals. It probably depends on the amount of shielding provided by skin and tissue. Plus, I doubt all ports or airports have the latest equipment - with ports probably being well behind the curve.

I may be wrong, but aren't joint replacements not solely pure titanium but include titanium alloys and other metals?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:59 AM

My wife has plates and screws in her foot and I know that she has never set the alarm off?

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Again, there are many variables when it comes to detection. Some will, some won't, some might. Always be prepared for the detector to alarm and you'll be fine. I've been patted down more than most career criminals over the years - mostly at work where we had to go through a TSA type security every time we entered the plant protected area.

I think we've drifted a bit in this thread (I'm guilty). Let's move on from the metal detector anecdotal stories and back to the original topics.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, implants, security, ship, titanium