Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2009, 10:59 AM

Hello I am new to traveling and looking forward to my first cruise on RC.I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with.
Q#1 I have titanium implants in my leg and neck. Will I be able to pass thru a security check point OK or do I need a letter from my doctor?
Q#2 Do I have to take all my prescrition bottles with me or can I have my medications in a single pill holder?
Q#3 Should I put small locks on my luggage Zippers?
Q#4 We are going to Bermuda, Can I leave the ship to walk around or go to the beach or Do I have to purchase a land excursion to be able leave the ship?
Thanks Joe Joe
Old 08-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Hello Joe Joe, and welcome to Cruise-Chat;

congratulations on your decision to try cruising; you will love it! Ship security is less stringent than airport security, but I'll assume you are asking about airport security.

You can save yourself a lot of time and inconvenience if you carry a letter from your doctor explaining your implants, and also by carrying your perscriptions in their original bottles. These are not requirements; but they can surely save a lot of explaining at the airport.

And putting TSA approved locks on your luggage is a must; it won't guarantee that your belongings will be safe--but it will help. And since you are new to traveling, I can't emphasize enough how important it is to NOT PUT valuables in your checked luggage--and that includes your medications. Anyting you want to be 100% sure makes it to your destination, you need to carry yourself!

I have not been to Bermuda; but from what I've read here, it is very easy to get around on your own. You don't need to purchase a land excursion to get off the ship anyplace but Russia.

Hope that helps, Joe Joe. Any more questions, we love to help.

Rick
Old 08-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Welcome to cruise-chat, Joe Joe. I am glad you came here for answers to your questions.

Quote:
Q#1 I have titanium implants in my leg and neck. Will I be able to pass thru a security check point OK or do I need a letter from my doctor?
If you alarm the metal detector they will pull you aside for hand wanding and/or a patdown. A doctor's letter will not exempt you from screening should you alarm the detector. But it will help explain why you alarmed. Usually the wanding will show that it is internal metal and that will satisfy them.

Quote:
Q#2 Do I have to take all my prescrition bottles with me or can I have my medications in a single pill holder?
Strictly speaking, when re-entering the U.S. any prescription meds you are carrying are supposed to be labeled. Realistically, many people travel every day with their meds in a pill holder without a problem. What I am saying is if Customs wanted to give you a hard time, they can find a reason. However they rarely hassle cruise passengers, especially if you are returning from Bermuda. Where you have been makes a big difference in the level of scrutiny. Last month I returned from a cruise to Canada and they essentially waived us through and just took our Customs declarations.

Quote:
Q#3 Should I put small locks on my luggage Zippers?
Are you flying to the port of embarkation? If so don't do that because TSA may cut them off (unless they are TSA approved locks). They randomly select luggage for a hand screening and they "will" open it one way or another. If you are driving to the pier, go ahead and lock the bags. If they need to see inside they will contact you.

Quote:
Q#4 We are going to Bermuda, Can I leave the ship to walk around or go to the beach or Do I have to purchase a land excursion to be able leave the ship?
Nobody is required to buy ship's tours. You can come and go on your own once the ship is moored and has been cleared by the Bermuda immigration officials. All you need to do is make sure you have photo ID and your cruise card with you. You will scan your cruise card in a security kiosk every time you leave or return to the ship. They take your photo to match it with your card when you first board the ship.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Administrator

One more thing - you do have passports, right? Even though closed-loop voyages are exempted from passport requirements, flights are not. So if you had to fly home from Bermuda - well, you would have a problem.

Having full passports (the passport book, not the card) is simply the right thing to do.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:49 PM

Thanks for the info. I should have provided more information we are not going through an airport I wanted to make sure that I could get through the cruise terminal security without problems. We do have our passports.
Should we bring water bottles with us?
Old 08-09-2009, 01:08 AM

Hi JoeJoe, Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

You'll be fine going through the cruise terminal security. Just bring the letter, just in case as previously suggested. I not only go through security with a water bottle, I take extra water. RCI has the right though to inspect the containers for possible alcohol.

Welcome aboard,

Dwayne
Old 08-09-2009, 09:39 AM

I have 2 titanium plates and 8 screws in my jaw and have never had any problems at the airports or cruise terminals.
Mike
CCL Elation 2005
CCL Pride 2006
RCCI Splendor 2006
RCCI Serenade Hawaii 2007
RCCI Serenade Alaska 2008
CCL Ecstasy 2008
RCCI AOS 2009
RCCI Voyager 2009
CCL Conquest 2010
CCL Ecstasy 2010
Old 08-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Sometimes my wife alarms the metal detector (plate and screws in arm) and other times not. I have no metal other than fillings yet I set off the detector at Heathrow last week. Often, something subtle in the immediate area can affect the metal detector, such as too many people being in the vicinity. It essentially increases the background "noise" and can reduce the alarm threshold.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:29 PM

Bermuda has a great hop on/off bus system which you can also use the ticket for the ferry too.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:21 AM

Thanks for all the help . I do have another question. Do we need walkie taklies or can we use our cell phones to keep in touch with the kids?
Thank You

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, implants, security, ship, titanium