Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2005, 02:53 PM

We are tentatively booked for the Navigator December '06. We are looking for information about ninth deck, balcony (E1), at the very back of the ship. This would be our first cruise. Has anyone stayed in one of these cabins at the back of the ship? Is the balcony bigger than the sides of the ship and how does this cabin compare sizewize to the D2 cabin? Thank you.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:53 PM

We are tentatively booked for the Navigator December '06. We are looking for information about ninth deck, balcony (E1), at the very back of the ship. This would be our first cruise. Has anyone stayed in one of these cabins at the back of the ship? Is the balcony bigger than the sides of the ship and how does this cabin compare sizewize to the D2 cabin? Thank you.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:16 AM

Welcome

I have never been able to sail on a rear facing balcony, however, I would say that the view from the back of the ship is worth having a room the size of a peanut, if necessary!

I usually spend a good 2-3 hours total during the length of a cruise leaning on the stern rail, watching the ocean pass underneath me. To be able to sleep to that, have it out my balcony door.....Man....yes good booking.

Too Long!

Click here for my website
Old 08-19-2005, 03:41 AM

karendianne,

welcome to Cruise-Chat.com.

While I have not been on "Navigator otS" yet, I've had aft-facing balcony cabins on multiple occasions.

And to be honest - I love them. The balconies are often somewhat (or even considerably) larger, and wind usually doesn't affect them as much as balconies on the port and starboard sides of a ship. Balconies facing forward are the worst - it is often virtually impossible to use them while the ship is underway.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 08-26-2005, 10:42 AM

Karendianne~~~

First of all I must say you have made a great choice for your first cruise. RCI is our favorite cruise line, the Voyager class has the most activities on the high seas, and oh--to have a balcony--you will be forever spoiled for anything less.

For Brian and me, the aft balcony staterooms are our favorite. You can see the view off of both sides of the ship, and the sound of/view of the ships wake is a wonderful thing.

Now, I must confess that we have not yet travelled on a Voyager class ship! Our experience is limited to staterooms on the aft of the Radiance class ships as well as having booked aft staterooms on other lines.

I have been very, very curious about the aft end of this class of ship because of the outer super-structure that is there. Over the past half year I have been searching online for opinions/experiences/photos, and whenever we've been in port with these ships, I run around like a jerk trying to look and see what's what. Early in July we were on the Sovereign while she was in Nassau with the Voyager and the Mariner (one of the two of them was not on its regular itinerary due to the hurricane). I tried to learn what I could; what I was thinking was not promising: what is this architectural outer structure even there for? Grumble.

Then two weeks ago, I found a photo of one of these ships taken from a slightly-above vantage point. Brian and I studied this photo and decided that we may one day get an aft stateroom IF it was on the top/10th or 9th deck only---and only if it were one of the outboard staterooms. Well this sounds like exactly what you've got reserved!

Lastly, there is only one difference between a Cat D and a Cat E stateroom: simply less square footage in the center of the stateroom. In a Cat D, we've had a "3-cushion" sofa; in a Cat E, there was room only for a "chair and a half" or love-seat size of furniture. The bathrooms and closets and desk/chair area are exactly the same. The width of the stateroom is the same.

One last positive point for your Deck 9 stateroom is that there are staterooms above and below you: no public spaces with chairs draggin or music thumping.

Bon Voyage!

Lana
Old 08-26-2005, 11:13 AM

FYI- I just booked on Enchantment of the Seas two days ago, in a rear facing Junior Suite. Almost all of them were availabe. I just checked, and there are still 3 of them left. They are on Deck 7. The highest level of staterooms, as far as I could tell is deck 8. Anyways, the rooms are available as of 08/26/05. The cruise departs on Dec. 19th, to western carib, out of Ft. Laud, to Key West, Cozumel, Belize and 1 day at sea. It is only 5 nights, short but oh so sweet. I thought it would be a nice way to check out this type of balcony, plus we want to go back to Belize. We have been in a JS before on the Explorer, and loved it, but it was on the side of the ship. Remember too, Enchantment has had major renovations, with cool bridge walkways and other cool stuff, and that you get an extra cruise credit when you book a JS category and higher. So, it helps with moving up the RCI cruise levels. The Enchantment was purely an impluse buy. I couldn't resist it. Check out RCI website, if anyone is interested. If anyones books one, let me know. I would love to meet another "CruiseChat" buddie. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-29-2005, 07:11 PM

We had an aft balcony on the Navigator. We did not like it, therefore, we did not use it. We enjoy sitting on the Balcony and looking either out to the ocean or directly down and watch the waves. You cannot look down and the view to the back seems far away.There is a huge roof over it(It almost seems like you are somewhat indoors or on a enclosed porch) and then a super structure platform out from your bacony that you cannot walk onto, only workers. We felt we did not get our money balcony worth. I would go a different time to get a balcony on the side on the Navigator or a different voyager ship, if that is what you want to sail on.Also, we have always stayed in balcony cabins, so we knew what we were missing.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:24 AM

Lovetosnorkel~~~

Thank you very, very much for your post about your experience with the Voyager-class aft balcony staterooms. I have been searching for a while now for information about this strange aft design.

I would greatly appreciate knowing which stateroom you had booked.

Thank you very much.

Lana
Old 09-30-2005, 04:29 PM

We were in 6690. We looked at the map. It looks like 7, 8, and 9 look somewhat the same way, except the end outside cabin on 8 and the end outside cabin on 9 which is 9390 and 9690.However, I wouldn't know for sure unless I was in either of those cabins.They told me the view wasn't obstructed, but in fact it was for me because, I could not sit on the balcony and look straight down to the waves. That is what I especially like to do at night because the waves look beautiful against the light of the ship. That was another thing, there was no light back there so you couldn't see the water, it looked completely black.The last night I sail, or sometime during the week, we enjoy spending at least some of the evening--night sitting on the balcony looking at the lights on the shoreline and looking down to the lighted waves. We could not do this from the aft on that type of ship.Also, we cruise onece or twice a year and it is very special and expensive. Why not get the balcony we desire instead of settling for a balcony we don't want due to location? If looking down into the waves isn't important to you, then you've done the right thing. We have a side balcony cabin in a great spot on the Brillance booked for our next cruise. I am looking forward to recapture that memory.Hope this helps.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:57 PM

A sad situation.

The deck plans of the Freedom of the Seas, as shown on the RCCL website, look to be the same unfortunate and certainly obstructed design.

A pity indeed.

Our first choice, on any cruise line, is always the aft balcony staterooms; we are grateful for the Radiance-class vessels.

Lana

Closed Thread

Tags
aft, back, balcony, cruise, end, freedom, good, navigator, rccl, room, seas, ship, shipholland, stateroom, view, voyager